Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wiring suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nochop, Jul 1, 2022.

1. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Looking for ideas and or wiring suggestions on running tail light wiring. Under body? In the cab? My Project is “Blowing this thing apart” 52F41227-EFE1-4DC9-8923-D8B0B144F2EB.jpeg thread. Last time I ran it though the cab.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

R (7).jpg Nice looking Coupe! Are there early & late rocker covers?

Bob

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It looks like running it through the cab would still be a good option, to me . Keeps it out of harms way.

4. Through the cab for me. I like those wiring kits with the fuse panel located behind the seat or in the trunk.

nochop likes this.

5. Least amount of wires in and out of the body. Even with brake switch under the floor, through the cab.

nochop likes this.
  6. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've only built 2 cars and have kept as much wiring as possible inside. Has worked well for me.

nochop likes this.
  7. hepme

hepme

wherever you can get to it easily and identify it. Hot rod wiring has a way of changing depending on what's added, changed, etc.

nochop and Crazy Steve like this.
  8. 5window

5window

I like inside as much as possible. Outside and under,strange things happen.

nochop likes this.
  9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Inside as much as possible. Up and over the door keeps it out of harms way.

427 sleeper and nochop like this.
  10. The OEM’s run miles of wire under the car .
    As long as it’s wrapped and secured well I don’t see an issue .

11. I believe if I were building, I would look in to the wire used in Semi trailers. Seven wires inside a tough outer covering. They hold up for a million or so miles. Secure inside the frame rail.

Ben

12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I run my wires on the inside and use the black asphalt cloth coated covering. I also t strap it down out of harms way and use rubber bungs in and out of the body image.jpg image.jpg

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I run one group of wires encased in one split plastic wiring tube. It has in it: left and right turn signal wires, a third brake light wire, a running lights wire, a gas sending unit wire, 2 brake light wires(master cylinder under floor---one wire is power from inside the car and the other signals when the brake light switch is on), and a wire for an auxiliary electric fuel pump. That harness is put together from rolls of wiring and then installed along the driver's frame rail. If you had backup lights you would include them, too. Works every time... so far!!:D:D
    If you wanted to get fancy, you could insert a plug with all the wires just outside of the body. Then you could disconnect the body for a simpler removal. A similar harness is made up for the front of the vehicle.
    YRMV!!:D

nochop, The37Kid and continentaljohn like this.
  14. 5window

5window

I really don't see much wiring under my daily drivers. OEMs are known for taking the cheapest and fastest way, not necessarily the best. Maybe under is okay for town, but if you live out o town, on gravel roads and might drive over a branch now and then, why take a chance? Especially if the car in question is still under construction?

nochop and continentaljohn like this.
  15. It's pretty hard to hide wires running along the chassis. For a clean look underneath, run as much as possible inside, where it is easily hidden.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wired numerous cars and always inside the cab. On old coupes I run the wiring up the A pillar and above the doors to get to the trunk area, and then drop it down into the trunk. This works great for me and avoids any wiring laying on the floor under the carpet. I usually pull one or two extra wires just in case I ever need it in the future. A lot of the wiring kits have extra wires in them that go to the rear for things I don't want. So I don't add extras on those kits.

willys36, nochop and continentaljohn like this.
  17. Through the cab. Don't try to hide it but run it through a black, thin wall hose/tube as in Post #12.

nochop likes this.
  18. I ran only battery cable under the car. Welding cable make a hump in the carpet.

bobss396 and nochop like this.
  19. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

The first time I built this car I ran the wires through the cab. Had a hard time keeping from kicking it in an out of the drivers door. At that time I didn’t have any carpet. I had a tough time running speaker wires up and over the door frame. I’m going to order black cloth harness (loom). Any suggestions for ID sizes? Such as How many wires will fit in the “x” id loom. I plan on using asphalt coated loom or equal material. Thanks all. https://www.vintageford.com/sect_search.cfm?Line=Wiring Shop&Category=Loom- Early Asphaltic Style

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I was thinking that as well, frame is fully boxed

pprather likes this.
  21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I believe your style would be considered “early” and my style would be later 324 gen style

The37Kid likes this.
  22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

My a pillers are fairly skinny,

23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’m lucky that only the license plate light and fuel gauge wire exit the rear. The headlights will be a no brainer to route.

5window likes this.
  24. goldmountain

goldmountain

I Lways try to run it through the roof and will only run it along the floor as a last resort - convertibles and such.

nochop likes this.
  25. Bob, 49/50 had the wire loom covers. After that they went to covers shown.
    As to the wiring, I always run them in the cab. spread out flat and taped down with racing tape. Avoid areas where there will be interference with mounts etc.

The37Kid likes this.
  26. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I run it inside the frame rail and hold it down with Adel clips.
    I like all that steel protecting it.

Boneyard51 and firstinsteele like this.
  27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A lot of cars have a thin flat plastic loom that is almost invisible under carpet. A trip to a yard you might find some. I used a piece in an OT car I did, but right now I can't remember what I got it out of, might have been GM stuff. On my current car I used woven style loom, 3/4" IIRC, and it has flattened out with time. I didn't like that it wasn't the split style, but it was all I could find at that moment. Not being split just makes it harder if you need to add a wire or two later on. I thought ahead and ran my speaker wires through it but forgot to add a wire in case I ever go with an electric trunk release.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or just buy it:
    https://www.haywireinc.com/index.cf...ct_id=312/category_id=15/mode=prod/prd312.htm

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Inside the passenger compartment. Fuse block in trunk area. Rebel wiring harness.

30. nochop

nochop
    from norcal