Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods KNS RADIATOR SHELLS? SUMMIT RACING

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sacminiwheels, Jun 28, 2022.

1. sacminiwheels

sacminiwheels

Anyone know anything about KNS Accessories? I'm looking at the 1930 Model A radiator shell, pics aren't great, wondering about the quality at $760.00? Summit Racing advertising them.

2. $760 ????? Waaaaaaaaaay over priced.

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Exactly :oops:

sacminiwheels and jimmy six like this.

4. 5window

5window

tommyd, acme30 and sacminiwheels like this.
  5. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

If they are new, straight with no dents or ripples and shiny then I would say that is not a bad price.

In reference to my comment this is my story - most of the original ones I have seen are cracked / split or dented or both.

I am pretty handy so I figured I could work with cracked or dented

First effort I bought one that needed welding up in three places where they crack on the bottom, but guess what that didn't go so good (yes they are stainless but not like any stainless I ever welded)

Second effort I bought one with no cracks but some rippling and minor dents on the sides - how hard could it be to fix that - well guess what not as easy as I thought. So I took it to a highly recommended "professional"- $300 and 6 weeks later with lots of excuses it was worse than when I gave it to him and yes we did argue over the $300 he wanted for his trouble.

Third effort I bought a 31 grill for my 30 (I would rate its condition at 85%) but better than the 2 x 30s I tried.

Fourth effort is still looking for a good 30

So in my book $760 wouldn't have been too bad

I guess I should add that although I am in Australia I purchased the best grills I could find in the USA during various vacations

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    5window, Blues4U and sacminiwheels like this.
  6. I didn't know they were reproducing them but Hendy built 1,261,053 Model A's in 1930, and I see the shells at swap meets all the time from one hundred to 3 hundred bucks. HRP

7. 5window

5window

Guess it would depend on your skill level and budget. I love original, but I could take a $200 shell and spend days trying to make that it smooth and end up with it looking worse than I started. Sometimes, starting with new puts you ahead.

8. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just checked Summit online says KNS-KA4008 Model A shell in chrome is $221.99

9. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Unfortunately, the reproductions stainless steel 1930 or 1931 radiator shells are of poor quality. The fit is fair to poor and the surfaces are full of waves and ripples. They look like reproductions from a mile away and they are about 850.00. I have been around more than a few of these.
    To my knowledge, they are all made by the same manufacturer although they are sold by all the usual vendors. Here is Snyder's listing for these shells and they are honest enough to provide a disclaimer for the quality.

rs1.jpg

10. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

For what it's worth, I just listed a decent original 1930 radiator shell on your local HAMB classifieds!