Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Derusting panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadMad, Jun 22, 2022.

1. CadMad

CadMad

In the past I’ve used 90% grade phosphoric mixed with 6 to 7parts water. This works really well except a 20 litre drum has gone from $90 to $400. $1000 to fill a 1000 litre pod…. Too expensive for me now.
    I’ve also done the electrolysis method using a large steel plate and baking soda in solution and a battery charger.
    Keen to hear any other cost efficient immersion methods.
    I just spoke to the local produce store and can get molasses for $120 for a 100 litre which will make 1000 litres…. But I’ve heard it gets on the nose… I think this will be the direction I go for the moment.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Adriatic Machine likes this.
  2. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

powdered citric acid seems popular, and you can tip it out on the garden after, no personal experience with it but another avenue to look at

raven likes this.
  3. evintho

evintho

bchctybob likes this.
  4. j hansen

j hansen

I use the citric acid,,,,,this is from 24 hours soaking,if you want a better result, leave it in for longer time.

IMG_8606.jpeg IMG_8608.jpeg

5. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

cirtric, does a great job . Molasses leaves a messy part to clean, citric just give it a wash with something to stop flash rusting and your done.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  6. Molasses works, but stinks. Not straight away but it ferments. It is not a pure product.

I use home brand vinegar, but not in 1000 l volumes. (pics of results in my sloper thread)
    No smell and you can play with it with bare hands.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the quantity of molasses that you have to have to clean large piece getting rid of it could be a real hassle if you don't live way out in the country were you can dump it down on the back 40.
    I've got pack of Citric acid but haven't tried it but have something that I want to clean so I might see if I can mix up a batch tomorrow and use an old tote I have.

8. Citric Acid works great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bob Lowry, Tim, raven and 2 others like this.
  9. Bugguts

Bugguts

I too vote for citric acid. I haven’t soaked entire panels, but lots of little things. I had a early Corvette shifter that was frozen stiff with rust. Soaked it for a few days and after rinsing with water and a brush, it worked like new. Did not damage chrome at all. I just pour out in yard when finished.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  10. CadMad

CadMad

Placed an order for a 25kg bag of citric acid yesterday. Will keep you posted on my results.

11. chris bozic

chris bozic
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

I have used the citric acid method on a number of parts and it worked really well. It was suggested to me by a fellow member 'two couped up'. One pound of citric acid powder per three gallons of water. Let the parts set for a day or two. I brushed the parts with a stiff bristle brush after a day and let them set for a second day. Then rinse with clean water and dry.

12. scotts52

scotts52

Citric acid or oxalic acid. Both affordable and neither smell nor are harmful to the environment

Adriatic Machine likes this.
  13. error404

error404
    from CA

I like citric acid as well. no need for gloves, and you can dump it down the drain.

can also use it to strip zinc coatings from hardware.

rod1 likes this.
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Citric acid is the active ingredient in molasses. So, good you're doing that.

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I love reverse electrolysis! Last summer I tried citric acid and wasn’t impressed. Now I think the concentration was too low so will try again this summer.

The electrolysis is great when doing wheels. A day or two, rinse, prime, and paint: done!

16. indyjps

indyjps

When you full a large container. Use other containers full of water to offset the dead space and reduce the amount of chemical needed.

I had a 60 gallon tank and a lot of gallon jugs of water with the lids glued on. Put part in, arrange the jugs to raise the level of the tank.

I use phosphoric, citric, oxalic for different things, prefer oxalic for chrome, phosphoric for heavy rust.

Soaking a towel in phosphoric, laying it in surface and keeping it wet works pretty well on large flat parts

Tow Truck Tom and rod1 like this.
  17. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I was a solid skeptic before I read about citric acid here on the Hamb...used it last year to de-rust several sbc
    cranks in a 5 gal bucket. I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it with my own eyes. The cranks came out looking
    like brand new. Sold them for 5x what I was asking before the soaking. Bought smaller quantities of citric acid at
    Walmart in the canning section for around $4 jar. Still have plenty left over. Unbelievable stuff.

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well those testimonials are sure going to get me to try citric again.

'28phonebooth likes this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Citric acid. Scan0488.jpg Scan0785.jpg

vtx1800 likes this.
  20. Do it!! If you still don't like it, use it to clean your coffee maker...... no smell like you get from vinegar. Also takes those weird blue-ish stains out of your stainless steel cook wear. It's great for removing hard water stains too. (no I am NOT Helouise from 'Hints from Heloiuse')

alanp561 likes this.
  21. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I used a 1:1 ratio with water, or maybe a little stronger. The more the merrier, and it is pretty cheap. Bob

22. Budget36

Budget36

Is that 1:1 a pound per gallon? I actually wound up with a about a pound to a gallon as was told I over mixed it.

23. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

The threads that I was following were using a cup to a gallon of water, which worked for me to start. I actually
    mixed it with about 1 1/2 cups of citric to a gallon of water. Seems like it depends on how much rust you're
    removing. But then again, if not strong enough, just let it soak longer. I only had to do my cranks overnight
    on one end, standing up in a 5 gal. bucket, then flipped them over the following day. Bob

Budget36 likes this.
  24. error404

error404
    from CA

yeah, I probably end up around 1-2 cups of citric acid per gallon of water. I don't really measure, it's not critical.

indyjps and Bob Lowry like this.
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One cup of citric acid per gallon of water?
    That's a LOT.
    That's 1/16 or 6.25%.
    I probably mix closer to 1%.
    Maybe less.
    A fresh warm solution helps performance.
    If it's bubbling, it's working.

26. finn

finn

I have used powdered molasses diluted in water, and it works ok.

Recently, I bought a bag of powdered citric acid from Amazon, and am now a believer..

The molasses starts to smell as it ferments, and I am afraid of attracting rodents if I can’t cover the container. Citric acid is much more accommodating, and seems to work faster.

Turbo26T likes this.
  27. Bugguts

Bugguts

I’ve never measured the amount of citric acid to water. I add rusty part and water to plastic tub and sprinkle in citric acid. I probably don’t add enough to work super fast, but I’m cheap and don’t want to waste it. I usually leave the parts soaking for a few days before checking on them.

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Scan0490.jpg I use 25 pounds in this tank. Then a couple years later, I add the other 25 pounds. I clean it out every 4 years or so. I have left parts in for as long as 10 minutes (cleans up dirty chrome) to 4 months. It freezes in the winter, so I wait for it to thaw. Some on the end of the cycle it takes a bit longer. IMG_20200712_0005.jpg Scan0489.jpg IMG_20200712_0004.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It cleans up old rubber too. Scan0492.jpg

rod1, Surfcityrocker and Crafty like this.
  30. beater40

beater40

I've been using citric over 10 years, does a great job. Item needs clean of grease and oil and underseal. Will soften primer but not paint. Will clean rust under scratches. I use 3 x 25 kg bags for 1000 litres, lasts 3-4 years easily. Wash off with high pressure after to clean and neutralize it, then wipe a coat of phosphoric acid to stop flash rust and prevent surface rust later. The phosphoric wash will stay good for quite a long time and wipe again if any further light rust appears. If the tank isn't used often, it can go a little stagnant so I throw in a cup of bleach to help stop that.