Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Survivor Hotrod Found!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Wired Customs LLC, Jun 16, 2022.

1. SS327

SS327

I hesitated to write my post because I did not want to start a giant shit storm and junk up this post. But it is disheartening when I see misleading terms used so someone can make a big buck on something. I am not accusing the op of that, it is mostly the unclean masses (auctions) that do that. People calling cars restored to original with newer drivetrains and suspensions and such. If something is modified or updated then call it that. And do it without shame. But I understand you have a business to operate and need to make a living. I just ask you do it honestly because to do it otherwise is what is ruining our hobby. Rant over.

2. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Fantastic ! Just Fantastic ! It's always a happy story when a car in need comes into the right hands . I bet everytime you open the garage you feel the same excitement that's just great ! And the brothers you are sharing with them an important part of their life . A heartwarming situation .
    Definitely going to check out the Rod & Style You Tube video . Funny I wanted to suggest you write a pamphlet book guess I got Old Timer in me too . Well glad I do and glad you share this with us really something special indeed .
    Congratulations to all involved !!

AB Normal and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. verde742

verde742

Do the tail lights have a "flat spot "?

if they do, they could be from '40 's "Willys"

[​IMG]

Okie Pete, chryslerfan55, Tim and 2 others like this.
  4. I appreciate and respect your opinion and can see your side of it. I don’t plan to sell the truck but rather keep it from rusting away in my climate controlled garage, this one is turning out to be too cool with all the history and talking with the original builders from 1957. The word survivor can definitely be argued about, but the fact is that it was built back in the day, and for me that’s what makes this so cool, I’m not hotrodding a stock Model A but rather bringing the truck back to life, from the outside the truck will look exactly like the picture below of when the truck was last on the street driving in the 60s, but underneath it will be safe to drive from state to state without worries of safety, if you saw that old frame in person you would understand, the whole rear kickup would need to be replaced and the alignment of the frame needs a lot of work, I’m a full time restoration shop and from a standpoint of time is money I could have a roller that’s safer and stronger than the original frame at more than half the cost. Stay tuned, I think you guys will like the end product. B171F3A4-CF18-42BE-B5E2-30AC429F2852.jpeg

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What an awesome capsule...you are very fortunate. The history and resurrection details are admirable. I'm on the small block side of the fence due to period and its last iteration...thanks for sharing the journey @Wired Customs LLC

6. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Make sure you keep the '80s GM steelies, and you might want to install some pedals to give it some oomph. Please don't add an engine, it'll steal the charm.

7. snoop74

snoop74

8. Hombre

Hombre

Good God Guys can we not leave that Politically Correct crap out of something. Hot Rods and what we call them ought to be one place were it can just be about the love of the cars, and not some political correct shit about exactly what category they should neatly fit into.

9. No one can blame you for trying to clean the hot rod up and make it drive-able. As we all know, many of the original builds were somewhat crude because of the ones building them (young guys) and the available tools. I had an old survivor race car from the 60’s for a bit and the workmanship was pretty scary in a few places. I agree with keeping the look and feel of the car the same, but making it to where it can safely be driven so people can see it out and about. Continuing to follow along. :cool:

10. Jax2A

Jax2A

Ok, now I hate you…
    Just kidding, I’m just super jealous!

11. I also agree that replacing the chassis with one that’s safer is a good choice and I trust that @Wired Customs LLC will do a great job.

As a matter of interest, what are you going to do with the old chassis? Perhaps you said and I missed it... but if not, maybe you could keep it as a ‘this is how they used to do it’ reminder. Hang it on the wall so people that come to your place can see it. Or maybe send it to a museum or something. I just reckon it needs to be on display somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing the car come together.

Glen.

12. Jax2A

Jax2A

This is a good compromise and it would look cool hanging from the rafters!

13. Thanks Glen! I do still have the frame and plan on hanging it upside down from the rafters, it’ll be something to look at and show off for a long time!

14. I appreciate it! It would be different it I wanted to trailer it everywhere but I definitely plan to drive it!

15. SS327

SS327

It was nice to have a civil conversation with you without offending each other and name calling. In the end we could see each others point of view. Thank you, I’ll follow along quietly now.

16. MojoRacing

MojoRacing

This is awesome. This is why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream... some like vanilla and some like chocolate, we can discuss flavors but in the end we all agree that we like icecream. (Icecream being hotrods lol)

Outback, SS327, deadbeat and 7 others like this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

I wouldn't want to drive it with that boogered up frame either, but there was a build on here (I really wish I could find a link to it) it was a 33 or 34 Ford coupe and I think it was in Europe, the frame was really badly butchered and had pieces of tread plate welded into it, I remember that chassis was completely redone (might have even started with another frame) but the builder was able to re-purpose some pieces of the original butcher job frame, even a couple sections of the old tread plate, in an effort to save as much as could possibly be saved from the old build. It was really well done.

I don't know how possible that would be here, considering the condition of the frame now, but maybe some chunks of the straight parts of the rails could be made into a crossmember and the frame horns could be welded onto the new frame (paint would match that way, since I don't think you plan to paint it).

Of course, that's me signing you up for a bunch more work just to say you reused some/most of the frame, just throwing it out there as a thought. That's pretty much what the guy with the 33/34 did and it really turned out cool without reusing any of the butcher work.

No matter what, I'm glad to see this is going to become a functional hot rod again, that's what's most important.

18. Hi guys! I need help identifying these headlight! Mark said he got them out of a junkyard in 1957, and I’m just wondering what they came from, let me know what you think! In the picture you can see the part number and some writing. “DIETZ 820-D New York Made in USA”

1123217E-D20E-4E91-A1AD-BC9242E45397.jpeg 468BF011-970C-40B8-BE18-BB006D6155F3.jpeg AF0A8B44-3D3F-4203-B594-65418FF4D7EA.jpeg ADFCEADA-C967-4801-85B1-10E1626E1516.jpeg 9703F1BC-7B16-4A76-92A5-9847EBAB4C69.jpeg

19. SS327

SS327

Aftermarket Dietz 820-d headlights. Mostly used on big trucks. But some were used on cars.

20. The bucket shape and what I can see of the Stand you're holding onto looks 35-36 Ford Truck. The position of the marker light may be an add on for turn signals. It doesn't look like a single aftermarket unit made by Dietz. Check out the general shape of these, then look at your bucket.
    20220201_165906.jpg 20220201_165906.jpg

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Piston it could be angle but those buckets look less pointy towards the back than LLC's...and yes the Markers could easily be aftermarket...

SS if they are in fact Dietz there may be information hidden beneath the added accessory light...

Deitz4.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...tz-820-hot-rod-headlights-price-drop.1195910/

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  22. chryslerfan55, deadbeat and Stogy like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

s-l400 (6).jpg

s-l400 (10).jpg

s-l400 (7).jpg

s-l400 (8).jpg

s-l400 (9).jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165215554417?_ul=CA

Hot off the press...I would have thought those marker lights as accessory but as SS said Deitz covered both options...sure helps when the info is stamped into the parts...period correct and beautiful lights...

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7" Glass Sealed Beams still available, reasonably priced and really supply credible light...

25. SS327

SS327

We used to have a bunch of those off the big trucks (Hendrickson maybe) at the junkyard I used to work at years ago.

Wired Customs LLC and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hotrods...compositions from many directions...truly part of the Traditional journey...if its at the Swap Meet or Wrecking Yard it's fair game as a candidate...

27. Thank you! And those look like exactly what I have, I have a picture of the truck with these lights already on it in 1965, have any idea what time period these where in production? I know you can still buy them now but I’m meaning the originals

Stogy likes this.
  28. SS327

SS327

I have no clue as to when they first started to make those. But Deitz is an old company I think started in the early 1900s or teens. Guide I believe had a real nice headlight too at one time. Similar style but I think nicer looking. It’s been over 20 years and I’ve slept a time or two since then.

Wired Customs LLC likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/can-you-tell-me-what-this-headlight-is-called.263430/

:rolleyes:...Your welcome...just bouncing info around aka the Hamb gospel way...Here's a Thread and they are on a mid to late 30s Vehicle...perhaps they have been produced in a very similar style throughout the Hamb period with some minor styling changes...the 7" sealed beams have been out for many, many years...

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/34-coupe-survivor-ish.1219403/

I believe @nutrocker tackled the project your referencing...there is a plethora of framesaves in the archives...Shaun and his 34 and 33 doll are a couple more...time isn't kind to vintage chassis, add rust and hotrod into the situation and longevity is many times challenged...just remember there is a very important Number on it under the driverside side cowl panel...

Definately bodies welded to frames and all the bracketry added poses challenges...LLC could repair it over time and swap it...I truly understand the soul of connected parts...especially in such capsule form...