Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Was there ever a 4-71 manifold for a 270 Red Ram?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gimpyshotrods, Jun 22, 2022.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been looking for some time. I cannot find a picture of one, let alone one for sale. I am usually pretty good at locating the obscure, if only in images, but I am coming up short.

Does anyone from back in that day remember if they were a thing? I seem to remember seeing a pruned 4-71 on a 241, so that might have been a one-off adapter.

Before I fire up the mill and make a big giant mess, does anyone know if this animal exists?

2. What did Jeff Norwell have on his coupe? I have no idea the blower size or engine size but he may have an answer for you. I do remember it being a baby hemi though.

Edit: Engine is apparently a 270 Red Ram

upload_2022-6-22_16-58-10.jpeg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    Deuces, continentaljohn and 19Eddy30 like this.
  3. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

^^^^^me personally do not have an answer for you, except Fire up the mill let the chips fly , hope this customer is willing to pay for flying chips, opposed to the customer a few weeks ago you mentioned they did not want to pay for labor To have a custom part made!!!

lowrd, OahuEli and Texas Webb like this.
  4. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Nice 5w above its a 3or 4-71, im sure its 4-71

5. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@19Eddy30 yep 4-71. If it were a 3-71 would have 2 ribs not 3 on the housing.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see it on there but is it an actual 4-71 manifold, or one someone made?

I can mow the top of of an Offy 2 or 3-deuce manifold and TIG a plate on it, if it comes to that.

Desoto291Hemi and 19Eddy30 like this.
  7. Ask Norwell :) (meaning I can't answer the question)

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Jeff Norwell can you shine any light on this?

Were these a thing, or are they handmade? If they were a thing, did they make like 15 of them?

My customers want the most difficult things.

9. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Thanks on rib info, I was not aware of a 3-71 or seen one ( until i read about a few weeks ago) at least do not recall,
    I believe size to a 20-71 .

Guys like you,(Gypsyrods) others & me make a one off parts Too

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a 2-71:
    [​IMG]

And a 1-71:
    [​IMG]

I believe that they topped out at the V24-71.

One cylinder set to rule them all!

Deuces, SS327, OahuEli and 2 others like this.
  11. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

2-71 looks modern,
    How about info on1-71 interesting? Tractor ?
    & how was it mounted (direct crank end) & inlet .
    @ first look it looks just like a bearing plate , but know its not.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1-71 is in the back/side, out the bottom, or vice versa.

It was a 15hp stationary engine. Pumps, marine, and generators.

SS327 likes this.
  13. I have seen a Red Ram with an actual 4-71 intake not a fabbed one. Seems like the man said it was a Crower. The reason I remember (I usually overlook blower cars at cruises) is that it had the pop off valve, something you don't see a lot.

I got an idea that they are made from unobtainium.

Deuces, SS327, OahuEli and 1 other person like this.
  14. Try Matt at lakesheaders.com? He makes Caddy ones... so maybe.......?

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am going to shake the tree for an Offy that I can ruin.

16. Just for the record, the 241 and 270 use the same block and heads. There's also a 315 on the same block. I've only seen a 315 in trucks.

17. My understanding is that the 315 came in big trucks. I have seen them in small dump trucks. 2x4 motors.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would appear that his is fabricated.
    [​IMG]

catdad49, OahuEli and Texas Webb like this.
  19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yup they did, two 12V71 blocks bolted together, worked on a couple about 20 years ago. They were the prime movers for generators in a waste plant in Pacifica CA. The sound was unbelievable! Makes me smile juste remembering them.:)

20. catdad49

catdad49

Just copied this from an article about Norwell's coupe.
    Karl Spafford of TDC built an evil 270ci (bored) 1955 Dodge Red Ram Hemi. With the block machined, he filled it with a steel crank linked to matching rods capped with Ross Racing forged aluminum pistons getting bumped by a Clay Smith stick. Hopped-up stock heads meet a Don Hampton intake with a GMC 4-71 blower topped by twin Rochester 2GC carbs and Stelling & Hellings-style air cleaners. A reworked GM T5 trans matched to a Wilcap adapter meets a custom driveshaft.

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

^^^ All Correct ^^^
    I stumbled upon the intake with Hampton while inquiring about a Nailhead blower intake.
    Weiand was the only company to make a supercharger intake for a baby Dodge.... in the mid-late 50's..... Extremely rare..... only ever seen a picture of one once in an old HRM ad.

gimpyshotrods and catdad49 like this.
  22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Best to my Knowledge, Hampton makes them..... the only thing that was added to my intake were pop off valves.Don included everything in the blower kit.... and the whole system worked flawlessly....
    I will say this,.. I used a stock water pump ... and a pulley had to be fabbed up.... So a 409 pulley was sacrificed for the project.
    The engine ran like a raped ape.

gimpyshotrods, Tman, 57 Fargo and 2 others like this.
  23. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I never seen one and have been looking for 30 years. I talked to a lot of races that were using the redram and all had fabricated intakes. I talked to a guy who worked at Dyers and he said he never see a production one only fab sheet metal ones.
    I got a extra 3x2 intake I will mill down and make one. Also a 6x2 if I want to get Exotic……. And put the 471 on top of that.
    I thought the 315 was a tall deck and picked up a 3x2 for one of them forgetting about the tall and low deck hemis.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  24. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@Jeff Norwell thanks for the information and just sent Hampton a email.
    Your redram is wicked cool .. do you have any detail pictures of the motor. Thank you

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

@continentaljohn ..... Yes. I believe I do..... sold the car a year ago....I just have to go digging for them.

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I do not have any machine or pre assembly shots...... but just different angles of the near finished car....
    I did include that WP pulley. it was a stock 409 pulley with the center of a stock Dodge pulley machined and welded together(balanced of course.... this was needed to get around the Gilmour belts.
    At the time all the cool kids were going to the multi pulley blower drives.... naw... it was fine for me as is.... and I was always questioned on the Rochester 2 barrel carbs.... simply.. they were older than me, came out in 57 or 58 and were 100000% better than any Stromberg.
    Did I mention they never leaked?

Ha ha ha

At any rate......... you can take a 3 deuce intake and weld a proper plate... but getting the proper angle would have been a long game...Hampton had it figured out.

IMG_3984.JPG IMG_1504.JPG IMG_1623.JPG IMG_3980.JPG

51box, rod1, OahuEli and 6 others like this.
  27. OahuEli and Jeff Norwell like this.
  28. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Very Kind Lane. but all credit goes to Neil Candy and his skills.

29. How dare you use cowl steering! Don't ya know you'll die!!!!!!!??????? ;)

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am looking for a blueprint for the 241/270 right now to see about making a fixture to hold the intake in the mill.

I have access to a 5-axis CNC, and could likely make a replica of the attachment surfaces on the heads that the manifold attaches to, that could be bolted into the mill and indexed.

First and foremost, I need to see if the customer is up for paying!

427 sleeper likes this.