Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big daddy's 1960 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'll second the 50 cc accelerator pump. that fixed a similar problem on my crossram drag boat. Have fun Lloyd

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you need one of those 50cc pump housings and spring I'm sure I have one.
    Glad to hear you made the trip.

3. It runs surprisingly good, for the displacement and the heads, it pulls good. The benefit of a tunnel ram is that I can watch the linkage while I'm driving, and when you get on it, it sputters until the secondaries open. Once they open it goes. I believe I put the the yellow spring in it, not sure now, but I'll put the lightest in it and and see what happens. I went to the Holley tent to buy a quick change pod but they didn't have any. I'm back home. Happy with my car. Awesome drive. Put about 450 miles on it trouble free.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  4. Congrats.
    The title of this thread says “dream car”.
    Your dream car, not someone else’s, not mine….yours.
    And ya did it your way. Worked through issue and cracked blocks. Cast off the concerns of the sayers of nay. The unseen eye roll.
    I’m kinda jealous as I have never started my dream build, much less driven it.
    So I offer up to you a salute and a raised ice cold Dr Pepper

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

We are home and unpacked and the babies are glad to see me image.jpg It was a good time indeed.

6. Yeah, wish you could've been there James. The off idle dead spot is gone now. Now my issue is wide open throttle. Cruising at 3000rpm is wonderful. But if you go wide open from there it stutters until the secondaries open. You can watch it through the windshield. Will a 50cc pump help with that? I can see where it could.

7. It was a blast man. The car made it fun. It was funny how man people loved the old car. More than any other car I've had. One guy came to me and asked what kind of valve covers those are. I said just stock steel factory covers off of a later model with a pcv system, he said "so what's the hamb mean?" He was talking about the stickers on them lol 20220414_220135.jpg

8. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

50 cc pump and try a # 31 squirter:cool:

partssaloon and Stock Racer like this.
  9. I took the 31 out and put a 35 in it. That's what fixed the dead spot. Fortunately, hemi Dave was staying in my hotel, he hung out with us some and one of his buddies is a dyno tuner. I had the front bowl off of the carburetor when he walked up. He asked what was going on with it. I told him it was a piece of junk Holley and I have never had any luck with them. He started laughing and told me he'd help me if I didn't mind. I said hell no I don't mind! He climbed right in there and taught me more than I've ever known about a Holley. He told me to put the 35 in it. So I bought one at the Holley booth and stuck it in the next morning. That evening he was back out there in the parking lot helping me again. Awesome guy.

10. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Think you answered the question well there.

Budget36 likes this.
  11. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Try a different Power Valve. Tape a vacuum gage to the windshield and see what it reads just before the stumble. That should give you a Power Valve number to try. They also make PV's that flow more. I think they are called "square window" as I recall.

12. Yeah I do need to check vacuum, but I would think that at the point my stumble happens, I'm at zero vacuum- wide open throttle?

13. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

The gauge will tell you. You said the stumble is right before the secondary's open. That's not WOT. It would be on a mechanical secondary carb. Here's the gauge I use. It has been duct taped to the windshield and made many a ride down the quarter mile. Side story...I used to borrow this gauge from an old timer I worked with back in the 80's. When he retired he told me "you liked my gauge so much you can have it. IMG_4185.jpg

14. I gotcha. So whatever my vacuum is, my power valve should be half that number?

sidewayzz69 and enloe like this.
  15. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

The Power Valve acts as a secondary accelerator pump to help with the transition to WOT after the accelerator pump. The valve opens when vacuum is below the number on the valve. If you do the vacuum test and the stumble occurs at 3" of vacuum, I would try a 4 or 4 1/2 power valve. That's of course if everything else is right. You know the old saying...90% of carburetor problems are ignition.
    The 50cc pump would probably help and a Double Pumper might work better on a Tunnel Ram.
    Happy tuning!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  16. I'm at 35 degrees total, no vacuum advance. If I run the vacuum advance it's hitting 45 degrees total, so it's plugged. I've considered buying a bigger carb, but I'm gonna do a couple more things with this one before I move it to the shelf.

Stock Racer and enloe like this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

did you try running the vac adv? My corvette is at 48 degrees total with the vacuum. the thing is when the vacuum is the highest (at part throttle easy cruise) there is not a lot of load on the engine allowing the extra advance to not make it ping. when you stand on the throttle the vacuum diminishes as does the vacuum advance, works great for me. I still think you need a 50cc pump or a mech secondary double pumper carb. I had the same symptom on my boat and 50cc pumps fixed it

18. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I'm with Mark. I would try to back the base off enough to get the timing in a comfortable place with the vacuum advance.

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

no need to back it off, the vac advance goes away when you are on the gas pedal hard....
    I just looked up the specs for a 65 283. Initial timing is 8 degrees before, mech advance is 15 distributor degrees which you double for crank degrees at 30 and vacuum adv is 8 dist degrees or 16 at the crank for a grand total of 54 degrees... and again the vac adv goes away with high gas pedal pressure so it is a non issue for pinging.... C14CB407-A790-4561-8466-0A7CB19095D0.jpeg 6795EC26-1362-4A15-B332-AFB8E5A3E0E6.jpeg

20. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Holley PV opens when vacuum is twice the value of the number on the valve. A 6.5 opens when vacuum falls to 13 in/hg. Usually don't have to change it unless valve overlap causes low vacuum @ idle, causing the PV to flutter open and flood the engine.

Joe

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this is not true, the holley power valves open at the number stamped on them. a 6.5 opens at 6 and a half inches of vacuum. the common rule of thumb is to run a pv numbered at half the idle vacuum that your engine has.
    here is an article on pv's from Holleys website
    https://www.holley.com/blog/post/how_to_tune_the_power_valve_in_a_holley_carburetor/

22. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

You're right, have my head up my butt today. :confused:

Joe

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

haha no big deal man, we have all been there, myself included more than I care to admit!!

24. I'm at 15 degrees initial, 35 total with only mechanical advance. The heads were shaved .007 and it's .030 over, so that shouldn't matter in the compression in my opinion. But with the vacuum advance hooked up it pings cruising under light throttle. I'll get a 50cc pump for it and see what it does, I've worked on it so much in the past 2 weeks that it's gotta wait for me to catch back up on customer cars lol... I did drive it to work yesterday. I'm thinking about ordering a set of jets so I can mess around with that some more in a couple of weeks.

25. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just for shit's, did you try hooking it up to the venturi vacuum port on the metering block to see if it was any better or worse?

Moriarity likes this.
  26. That's where I had it

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Lioyd, how loose is the converter and at what rpm are you trying to stab the throttle at?

28. It's a stock converter. 3000rpm i can lay it on the floor, it'll start to build rpm and then it starts bitching and moaning. And when I see the secondary throttle shaft open it starts clearing up and goes on

chryslerfan55 and Tickety Boo like this.
  29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

And that rpm is? You see where I'm going with this.

30. Nope. Throw the Holley in the trash? Put a fuel injected LS in it? OH!!! IT'S BECAUSE I HAVE AN AUTOMATIC WITH OVERDRIVE!!!!! LMAO! But if I were to put an LS in it, I could attend the LS FEST back at Bowling Green.... hmmmmmm. source.gif