Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T-Bucket runs after key is off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, May 31, 2022.

1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Hey all, this one is getting me. My fiberglass bucket has started running 30 seconds to a minute after you turn the key off. Its' not the out of time dieseling that some do, just it runs with the key off a while before shutting down. I've checked grounds and all seem to be tight. wiring is all new (car is less than 2 years old) Running a Mallory ignition system with mallory coil and ballast resistor.
    Anyone point me to the next things to check out to get it to shut off?

2. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

It’s feedback from the alternator. You need to install a diode in the charging wire.

3. ^^^^YEP. That will fix your dilemma^^^^.

lothiandon1940 and 427 sleeper like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

...AND/or run that alternator wire to the 'accessory' side of ignition switch...

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Actually not a bad thing if you’re running a Stromberg 97 or a Holley 94. And an electric pump.
    Both are known to weep after the engine shuts down from the residual pressure.
    The engine running for a bit after shutting it down relieves the gas line pressure.

mad mikey likes this.
  6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Thanks guys, I'll look at the alternator and a diode, it felt to me like positive juice was leaking to keep it going, but haven't messed with this issue before

427 sleeper and mad mikey like this.
  7. jaracer

jaracer

Just for the heck of it, try putting the key back in the ignitions switch and jiggling it towards the off position while it is running. If that doesn't do anything, I'm with everyone else that the alternator is feeding the ignition circuit with the key off.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

A diode in the alternator will work. So will running it through a keyed relay. I smoked a diode because it was not of large enough capacity. The relay is reliable.

Primered Forever likes this.
  9. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had that happen when I installed an electric fan. When I put a relay in it solved the problem. I guess the fan spinning when the engine shut off generated enough juice to keep the engine running.

10. Yep, that is it, with the problem of run on that I had!

11. Agree it's likely feedback from the alternator ignition switched exciter wire, or could also be from electric fan turning and acting like a small generator.

For the exciter wire just need a diode. For the fan, running through a relay or a diode will fix it.

ProtoTypeDesignFlauz and egads like this.
  12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put it in the wire going to terminal #1, NOT the heavy "charging" wire that goes to the battery (or ammeter, or starter depending on how your car is wired).

13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had the exact same problem. Electric fan wired into the "run" side of the ignition...without a relay. As the fan wound down, it would send power back through the ignition and keep the car running until the fan completely stopped.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

While I'd jump on board with everyone else your wording has me thinking is this a new issue that never use to happen?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  15. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unplug the alternator and see if the engine kill's properly.

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Aww , where's the fun in that ?

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yes, recently started issue, hasnt been happening until last month or so

18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Thats an interesting possiblity, The new thing over the winter is a much larger electric fan. I havent tried running the car a short time before the fan kicks in and shutting it off. A relay is laying on the bench and needs to be installed, just had 100 other things i have to get done around the house too

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

There it is. The fan's motor as it spools down generates voltage that feeds back into the wiring loom. In this case the IGN curcuit.

20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yep, @Johnny Gee I think that's the ticket, its the "new" thing on the car and seems to make just enough to bleed through. Ill have to put the relay to the top of the priority list.

427 sleeper likes this.
  21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

When I was wiring my 56 I elected to not use a relay for cooling fan because it wasn’t link to IGN. While testing things before any start up of engine I’d turn the key off only to have starter throw out the starter gear (main power to motor removed). I added a relay and all fine. I no longer have a electric fan but not for that reason.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

To rule the fan in/out, disconnect the fan (or pull the fuse) then do a run test w/o the fan to see if the engine shuts off properly.

23. Mimilan

Mimilan

If you're using a stock ignition switch ,all Tri-5's have continuity between the Ign and Access at the switch.
    So if you hooked up a fan off the accessory it could keep the engine running on.

They are really easy to hot-wire at the fusebox
    Just bridge a wire from the courtesy lamp 12v live to any spare post on the accessory circuit , it will make it's way to the coil.

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I performed a continuity test to the switch before hand and didn't get that result.