Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Car Spotting on the 1950 Streets of San Francisco!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 26, 2022.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Car Spotting on the 1950 Streets of San Francisco!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. 2935ford

2935ford

Lots of cool cars........
    At 2:36....the Martini sign "Have One"
    Love it!

VANDENPLAS and Ebbspeed like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Love the old taxis and police car. Thanks for sharing.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic. Time travel. Love this stuff, not real popular on the HAMB for some unknown reason.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My Wife and I had come back from a grand European tour of 40 days from London to Paris and included Italy and a water side resort in Greece for some sailing. As much as we liked the European atmosphere, it was good to be back in the USA. It was money well saved and spent.
    upload_2022-6-11_4-12-17.png
    The following year, we decided to go back up the coast to San Francisco. For some photos and see the area again. (Car shows, concerts and places we had not seen previously.) Since we had such a great time in Paris, we wanted a cool place that had some French influence. There was a funky tall narrow hotel in Union Square that met our needs. The Cornell Hotel de France.

Despite the lack of street side parking, (who parks on the street in San Francisco anyway?) We were directed to a parking garage, across the street, where our 65 El Camino was secure at night.
    upload_2022-6-11_4-12-59.png
    "Once you check in at the hotel you receive a metal room key and that is when the experience starts. Then you have to take the old fashioned elevator to your room!"

The ambience of the “French inspired” hotel was just perfect for our memories of our vacation the previous year. The local area had access to the S.F. Street cars and it was a wonderful ride to the turn around at the Fisherman’s Pier for the return trip back to the hotel. It was one of those “Hang on Snoopy” experiences standing alongside of daily businessmen going off to work in the various downtown drop off locations.

Jnaki

There were plenty of early cars prior to the 1965 year and they all looked relatively new, despite a lot of them having to park outdoors during the day and night. The wear and tear of the daily/nightly fog rolling into the whole Bay Area is something to see and feel. It just coats everything and makes walking at night a moist experience.

But, what a feeling one gets from this great city… Over the years on our long road trips up and down the Westcoast up to the PNW, we always find time to stop for a visit in "The City." Although it is a nice place to visit, we would not want to live there all year around. YRMV

VANDENPLAS and RustyDogg like this.
  6. Really nice film footage.Better than average color. I like that Pontiac convertible with the black top. Only thing that looked the same as now was the brown UPS truck.

7. 49Olds

49Olds

‘50 Olds club sedan at 0:57. Standard gravel shields, 88 crown molding, but no fender spears. Shaved hood? Bitchin!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Look how well everyone dressed !

no pyjama pants in public !No underwear hanging out pants ! No one looks like they just rolled out of bed and got in with their day !

Better times for sure !

Great footage and thanks for sharing .

9. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Like the Kaiser Frazier police car at 0.19 sec. into the film.
    upload_2022-6-11_11-59-32.png

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  10. chevrolet50steve

chevrolet50steve

6145B288-76FA-4438-9D50-4D980C460FFB.jpeg A519A401-5238-424E-8675-C41F95CC47E0.png Seeing this clip of film makes my old hudson look more period correct. I never realised they used obscure makes and models for police cars?? I painted it for something different at a weekend car show and it stayed that way ever since,it gets so much attention it is unreal!!

11. fargoguy

fargoguy

Kaiser cop car is pretty cool. Sidemounted cadillac or Lasalle at the beginning is a rare one too.

12. Thanks for the memories. San Francisco in the 1950's was my favorite city.