Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New paint; wax? polish?what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, May 13, 2022.

1. atch

atch

Paint on Clarence is about 4 weeks old. Sand/buff somewhat later.

So I'm afraid to even touch it.

1. How should I maintain it?
    2. When?

Here's are pix on 4/27 when I brought it home from paint:

20220427_135920.jpg

20220427_140013.jpg

20220427_140026.jpg

20220427_140041.jpg

brEad, Tim, Grandadeo and 2 others like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cut and polish within a couple weeks of painting for a couple of good reasons;
    1. The longer you wait the harder it is to cut some paint/clears.
    2. There isn't anything in the way right now like chrome, handles, lights, etc.

3. Cut and polish can be done anytime.

You really shouldn't put anything like wax or protectants on fresh paint for about 90 days.

4. atch

atch

Painter already cut it. I'll have to call him to see if he polished it.

What now?

5. atch

atch

by the way: the paint is no clear; no pearl; no metallic.

'28phonebooth likes this.
  6. Regardless what you do that truck looks fantastic! :)

I waited about 2 weeks after the Ranch Wagon was painted and waxed it. HRP

427 sleeper likes this.
  7. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

“Painter already cut it. I'll have to call him to see if he polished it.“

If the painter already cut it, it’s polished

Otherwise…..

The paint would be just cut and look like satin.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  8. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Dang that truck sure is purdy!

427 sleeper likes this.
  9. das858

das858

I bet you're pretty thrilled right now ! The color looks great on it !

427 sleeper likes this.
  10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

All due respect dont ask us and get 10 different answers, ask your painter as it looks like he knows what he's doing ! Clarence looks better than ever, thats a great color !

11. If it’s been cut and buffed by the painter, ask him on what polishing products to use.
    For fresh paint, don’t use any polishes with sealer properties.
    If not cut and buffed, it’s easier to that now before the trim is on.

lowrd and deadbeat like this.
  12. brando1956

brando1956

I think it looks great but it's hard to tell from photos. If you want more shine, I'd hand rub with Meguiars ultra fine HAND compound. Unless you have had a lot of experience, I'd stay right the Hell away from it with a buffer. I've seen some new paint screwed up when somebody catches an edge and rips a big chunk of paint right off. I've seen me do it. I'd get a big stack of old cloth diapers if you can find them. Change your cloths often as any piece of grit picked up will scratch. Terrycloth is OK but you need to be careful as the nap will hide grit. I've always been told you should wait at least 3-6 months before waxing to let the solvents migrate out of the paint. Keep in mind that the paint may be soft awhile depending on what material they used. The sunshine treatment works well to cure it quicker.
    This is going to look fantastic when you get it back together. Anxious to see photos.

13. squirrel

squirrel

Might wait to maintain it, until it looks like it needs something done to it. Might be years from now, if you take care of it (keep it inside most of the time, and keep it clean).

427 sleeper and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  14. Jones St.

Jones St.

Polish out from yellow foam pad to the ultra fine baby blue pad. Then LEAVE it alone to fully, chemically cure. As mentioned 90 days would work. Antsy & such? Rub out door jambs/dash/firewall/ect and some of the chrome/stainless too.

15. @atch you fibber!! That's not Clarence!!! Clarence is primered and all gnarly looking!! You photoshopped it, didn't you?!?
    It looks damned good! I'd say your painter will be your best resource for advice, he (or she) seems to know what they're doing.

deadbeat likes this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Fine looking truck . Yee haw .:)

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Truth be told , “Effie “ my 1948 F1 is seriously getting jealous :D

18. spanners

spanners

I agree. Talk to the painter. They painted it, they will be responsible for problems for a while.
    Years ago while working in my Dad's Panelbeating shop I painted a Holden panelvan in metallic blue acrylic lacquer. Several coats of clear on top, waited a week before cut and buff. Customer picked it up, happy as a pig in shit. He was back a month later with paint that looked like sandpaper. We redid the job at no cost and sent it back.
    He was back 2 months later with paint that was crazed and cracked. We called in the paint rep who checked it out and took paint samples for testing. Paint quality was good but after talking to the customer, who by then was getting really pissed off, we found out he'd been wax polishing it as soon as he got it home despite us telling him not to. Turns out the solvents couldn't dissipate outward so they cooked inwards and lifted the primer. It didn't help it was parked in the blazing sun at a Airforce base all day as well.
    He went halves in a respray with us in the end.

19. atch

atch

Thanx Jim. I know nothing about paint OR the terminology used with it.

Thanx man. I'm not looking for more shine. You could use it to shave in now. I'm just wanting to know what to do down the road; and how far down the road.

Thanx. It should be staying inside most of the time (unless I'm out driving the wheels off of it, which is our intention). I like your reasoning and hope that this won't become a pita to take care of. While I think it looks pretty good it's still "just a driver." I just want to keep it looking like a "pretty good" driver, preferably without a great deal of hassle.

Jim Bouchard and guthriesmith like this.
  20. Leave it alone, keep it clean, don't let any bird shit stay on it. Just like Anthony and k13 said, don't wax it, it needs to cure. Just keep it clean, chamois any water off, and before car season starts to slow down in the fall, put some good wax on it. I'm in the camp that you wax a car in the spring and fall, and use automotive soap when you wash it, it won't take the wax off as much as using dish soap. Otherwise, put it together and enjoy that beautiful paint!

21. WalkerMD

WalkerMD

Back in the 70s when I had an old pickup repainted. The old boy told me to leave it in the sun every afternoon (July) and in the evening rinse it down with cold well water. Do that for a week. Then good to drive but don’t wax til fall. I know nothing except that was an excellent paint job that lasted years.

22. Old school enamel.

WalkerMD and 427 sleeper like this.