Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 ford framejig

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pietro SS1, May 13, 2022.

1. Pietro SS1

Pietro SS1

Hi guys, first I have to say it's my first tech question here, but I watch the forum since long time to learn about tech things, and also to enjoy the projects and pictures.

I have some doubts about 1932 ford frame build/welding and I would like to ask you guys and I am grateful for all you could help me

I already read topics from here, lots, but they werent enough to answer the follow:

1. Is there a standard welding table, or does each builder build their own way?
    I see that some have lateral support points for turns, while have about 7 or 8, some do it with 4 or 5 only.

2. Another question I have is about the side detail of the 1932 ford chassis. When is the time to do this deep bottom sunken detail.
    Is this done before starting to weld the frame rails, or after the chassis is almost ready is a cut made and sunken and welded again?

3. another question is about the laser cutting of the stringers. I had Westcott plans, but the laser cutting house asks for the finished digital file. How the ideal shape to cut is made? I saw some 3d projects but I would like to now the most used way you guys have

4. How you suggest the way to start welding (after the frame jig is ready), whether from the sides, or from the top plan.
    Is the first step to make curves of side rails, hold then on side suports, then boxing the UP (or down) plates/rails, with a hammer to get the curves, and making points of weld

Sorry for my english, but I'm not fluent

Thank you and hope we can develop a topic that helps many to contribute this information. Pietro

Attached Files:

Ned Ludd and vtx1800 like this.
  2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I started in the chassis business in the early 80's I had such a small shop I didn't have room for a lot of fixtures. I adopted the frame building technique of a famous builder who shall remain anonymous. I built my self a heavy frame table with a 4X10 sheet of 1/2 inch flat plate fastened to a heavy square tube base. I then made various fixtures to work on this table to build the many 100's of 28-48 chassis I built over the years. I used the same techniques for over 40 years with very few problems. Even though I've retired from the chassis business I will keep the table for my own projects.

3. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I built a table similar to Krylon’s. With adjustable cross beams for different chassis’. I installed screw jacks at each corner so it can be leveled. I also built a rack on it to hold all my clamps and it has a storage shelf built underneath. I haven’t used it in years and would make someone a deal on it.

4. redo32

redo32

5. Pietro SS1

Pietro SS1

Thanks. I knew this post,l. But in this case he cited with plasma handle. Is not usual right? Most of case are in laser cut I think so right?

6. Pietro SS1

Pietro SS1

Right thanks. About the frame rails how you used to do?

7. Pietro SS1

Pietro SS1

8. oldolds

oldolds

Your location might help. There may be someone on here that can loan you there set up. It is not something most people use every day.

9. Fordors

Fordors

I believe the gentleman is in Italy so our help is best offered as examples from experience or scans of tech articles from magazines.

pprather likes this.
  10. Pietro SS1

Pietro SS1

From São Paulo Brazil. Here we do not have hot rod, just a few

11. Pietro SS1

Pietro SS1

Thanks

12. Pietro SS1

Pietro SS1

Nice, and how about the frame rails you did, like the other laser cut?

13. Pietro SS1

Pietro SS1

Great!

14. Pietro SS1

Pietro SS1

What's the name in English you guys use for the lateral detail of 1932 ford frame?

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Contact Don and get one of his 32 Ford frame drawings/ prints/ blueprints or what ever one wants to call it. This is a nice fairly large frameable poster size print that is well worth the price.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...lueprints-not-wescotts.1246574/#post-14480014
    As for the frame table, Unless you are planning on going into business building frames it may be a case of use what you have available to make a rack to hold the frames solidly in place to fabricate them.

The straight frame from an older large truck could make a pretty solid base for a usable frame table with some legs welded to it and some cross rails to fasten the fixtures to.
    [​IMG]
    A trailer frame out from under an old travel trailer/ caravan or what ever the name is in your country could be salvaged and turned into a workable rack to build frames on without spending a lot of money.
    [​IMG]
    You would have to cut up and get rid of the body of the trailer to do it at low cost though.
    Those are ideas that I have had for building my own frame table without spending a lot of money.

I am not a pinterest fan but this link has several ideas to use https://www.pinterest.com/mak_thomas/chassis-frame-tables/

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    rusty valley likes this.
  16. Pietro SS1

Pietro SS1

Thank you very much for the table idea. About the table now I know a simple way to create this. But for the specific 1932 jig and the rail cuts, I still don't get it like most projects do. The guy you refer me to buy plant plans is not the dwg computer or autocad, or another extension, to send for laser cutting house. This is my question, where many get the computer file ready to cut, because a plans blueprint on paper I think is good, but it would be not enough or easy to cut. You understand? Thanks

17. redo32

redo32

How many frames are you planning on building? The thread I referenced shows a guy building a frame at home in his garage with simple technology. he made full size patterns from Wescott's diagram and then transferred to a wooden pattern to use as a guide to a hand held plasma. He shows the steel mandrels (jig) to form the revel in the frame side. The frame jigs you showed pictures of are for assembling stamped frame rails. Total Cost Involved still make their frame rails from 3 separate pieces that are welded together. I doubt that they would share their computer file.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now I have figured out what you are looking for, Full size patterns on paper to use to cut out the metal to build frame rail out of.

Flthd31 hasn't been on the board for several years though.
    The best I can offer is to buy one of Don's drawings and scale it up to actual size.

19. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Mr 48 is correct, the OP is also wanting to make his own rails, not just using some already stamped ones like most of us do.

20. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the word you are looking for is reveal.

I take it you realise original rails as well as the common reproductions (ASC, JW) are stamped, not fabricated.

I'm not aware of any 32 framerails being cnc cut for welding as you require, but there could well be, and if there aren't it could be an interesting project for someone with the time, facilities etc. Unlikely to be financially viable activity though. If the file were available I'd imagine the cost of the material and cutting would be well on the way to a pair of stamped rails. But that's just my guess!

Chris

21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Last I knew Ark Hot Rods in Ohio was still fabricating really nice 32 rails? I used several sets in the past and they were easy to work with.

22. Pietro SS1

Pietro SS1

Thank you all guys. Now I understand that in US and from Ford original frame are stamped, and not welded/boxed. So it changes everything, what happens it's here in my country we do not have a stamped store, and would be expesive to do that way. I tooth in US those lots of frames were made welded, that's why I didn't find so easy the computer file to cut on laser/cnc.
    So thank you, I will get the original plans and increase to the original size, the cut and weld the plates, that's how we can do here.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get the one from Don, they are poster size and he sends them in a mailing tube. I can't find mine right now for show and tell but they are 32 Ford art work worthy of framing.

24. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

You might want to pick up a copy of the book below. It has a chapter on how a company manfactures 32 Ford frames from scratch with flat stock. Might get some ideas from it. Probably about $25.
    32 Ford Book 001.jpg