Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage HAMB-friendly Things to do near Colorado Springs - With Pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, May 12, 2022.

1. I will be heading up to Colorado Springs this Saturday (5-14-22) to drop off both my boys at a camp Sunday. We will be arriving sometime in the afternoon and staying Saturday night. Anything going on that we could do Saturday afternoon/evening? Any events or car-related things we need to check out?

Thanks, Jeff

winduptoy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Drive up Pike's Peak!:)

winduptoy, 302GMC, Blues4U and 7 others like this.
  3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Take the Cog Railway up to Pikes Peak, leaving from Manitou Springs. Here is the link:

Buy Your Tickets | The Broadmoor Manitou & Pikes Peak Cog Railway

Keep in mind that you go from 5,000' up to 14,000', so plan on wearing warm wear at the top,
    regardless of how nice it is down below. Roam around Manitou Springs for fun, lots of nice
    shops and fun food, including an old school penny arcade. The Royal Gorge bridge is not far
    away and very cool to experience. Cripple Creek, an old mining town has shaft mine tours,
    plus gambling. About an hour away.

They just opened the first Whataburger in Colorado Springs, plus there is a In 'n Out Burger place
    for some fun fast food and good hamburgers.

Just check the web for car events for the Springs. Have a great time. Bob

Just Gary and guthriesmith like this.
  6. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

You could go get a tour of the speedometer services world headquarters!

8. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

For a fun, more adult experience, visit the Broadmoor Hotel, happy hour at the Golden Bee tavern
    inside the hotel. Guaranteed fun time...cheers!

winduptoy likes this.
  9. Cgrgrspt10

Cgrgrspt10
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Come back in June for the NSRA swap meet and car show in Pueblo!

Bob Lowry likes this.
  10. Lots of great ideas guys! That’s one of the reasons I love this place! Thanks! We will see what we can fit in. :D

winduptoy likes this.
  11. ray

ray
    from colorado

Florence CO is also having a car show saturday. a nice little affordable tourist town about an hour away, show brings a few hundred cars.

I was just in Dewey for the SK500, bring some of that rain with you.

winduptoy, Sancho and guthriesmith like this.
  12. Just recognized your car now that you say you were there. That thing is KOOL! A few of us were checking it out at the Hampton.

Thanks for the heads up on the show in Florence.

winduptoy and Sancho like this.
  13. ray

ray
    from colorado

thanks, Dewey was the debut in the new color.

pretty sure i saw your avatar car there too?

winduptoy, Sancho and guthriesmith like this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This!

Just Gary, winduptoy and guthriesmith like this.
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

A few years ago we were vacationing in the area and decided to take a drive to the top. About half way up a storm blew in and it started snowing on us. We hit a point where the rental car my brother was in couldn't go any further, the tires had no traction. So we had him slowly back down to a point where he could turn around and park. I followed him, but my other brother was in the lead in his 4x4 pickup and he never stopped, he just kept going. So we parked to wait for him, but it wasn't long before they shut the road down. A ranger came by and told everybody that was parked to remain parked until they opened it back up. Eventually they lead everyone down in a slow parade. This was in August.

16. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Florence car show is on Sunday the 15th
    It is a good car show.

winduptoy, guthriesmith and Bob Lowry like this.
  17. Yep, it was there as well and both my kids took their cars. My oldest son was the one with the pink Edsel sedan and my younger son had a mid-70’s black vette roadster.

winduptoy and Sancho like this.
  18. This might even be better since I am not sure how early we can get there on Saturday. Any idea what time it starts Sunday?

winduptoy likes this.
  19. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

20th Annual Florence Merchants' Car Show in Florence, Colorado (florencecoloradocarshow.com)
    From 9:00 til 3:00 It's a good show although it looks to be scaled back this year, no live bands and limited from years past. Check the website for details. It's a good show to take the missus to if they don't want to spend the day looking at cars, PLENTY of antique stores and shops to wonder through, and a nice scenic drive from the Springs. Dennis Gage did an episode there ."My Classic Car" Florence Colorado Car Show (TV Episode 2019) - IMDb
    I met him there, he is a hell of a nice guy.

Attached Files:

winduptoy and guthriesmith like this.
  20. Thanks so much!

winduptoy likes this.
  21. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

An old time friend that lives in Frisco, Colorado told us that we would like to see the Royal Gorge and the bridge that spans the area in Colorado. Having that on our written itinerary stops if we had time, we kept thinking about the time and driving. We had enough of traffic jams and construction along the roadway, so far.

We were coming back home from our USA cross country road trip with the eventual goal of the sailing on the Chesapeake Bay in the Summer and if possible, in Maine. We wanted to be able to say we sailed on the Westcoast and the farthest reaches of the USA on the East. Then driving up to see some places to purchase in Maine. We planned this for months and had everything in place for a 1-2 week trip.

But, with the #$@#^% road hazards and stoppages in NE Oklahoma and Missouri put a stop and change of plans for our long road trip. (next time, we will remember that those states do their road repair in the Summer to get ready for the Winter seasons.) Reservations had to be cancelled all along the Eastcoast and the road trip home, back through The Great Lakes/ Chicago route.

So, we pondered whether to go one hour+ South from Denver to Colorado Springs and another hour to the Royal Gorge. After we were to see the gorge and rest, then another 2 hours to Frisco to see our friends on Lake Dillon. Well, we decided to go straight from Denver to Lake Dillon and not go South.

The Royal Gorge will still be on our itinerary on the next road trip to the area.

Jnaki

Since you are already on the way to the event coming from the Southeast direction, perhaps you might want to stop at the Royal Gorge first, rest, and then spend the last hour + going to Colorado Springs.

YRMV Enjoy your road trip.

guthriesmith likes this.
  23. Is this in the evening?

24. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

If you go to the Florence Car Show, take HAMB friendly pic's and post'em up here.
    Have a safe trip.

25. Thinking of trying to do that actually. :cool:

winduptoy likes this.
  26. Used to be a wrecking yard of sorts near town along the railroad if I remember right. Called Piles Peak ??. Saw more 32 grilles on the walls than one can imagine

27. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

That was Pikes Peak Motors, got bought out by eminent domain for a new highway interchange. It’s now outside of Canon City on highway 50.

28. I had to go look that up and it is COOL! I am going to have to do that sometime, but not thinking I can fit it in on the whirlwind trip.

winduptoy and squirrel like this.
  29. Headed that way! Just wish it was in an old car...

1F4DE1BD-6E26-4D40-A64A-38322720427E.jpeg

winduptoy, Sancho and e1956v like this.