Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My 1932 Plymouth Sedan, Taking Her Back to the 60's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stock Racer, May 8, 2022.

1. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I always see threads were people find an awesome deal on a cool old ride. I've finally started working on my 62 Biscayne so the last thing I needed is another distraction. I can't help but search the web for cars I don't need and this popped up. Went to look at it. It was reasonably priced but I made the guy an offer that I call "the make me buy it price". I wasn't trying to be a dick but as I said, I really didn't need another car. I now own a 1932 Plymouth Sedan. 327, Turbo 400, 55-64 Chevy rear, and what looks to me like 49-54 Chevy front spindles. It appears to be an older build that someone unfortunately "updated" in the 80's and that's why things are covered up. I plan on taking her back to the 60's. First order of business is to get her up and running as-is. It came from a family trust and has been sitting for 12 years. I got the engine to move with the balancer bolt. Stopped there, pulled the plugs, and shot some Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinder's. My first question is: the oil looks clean and gold. Should I change the oil first or fire it with the old stuff to flush any debris and then change it?
    IMG_4052.jpg IMG_4053.jpg IMG_4049.jpg IMG_4057.jpg IMG_4054.jpg IMG_4047.jpg IMG_4055.jpg IMG_4046.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  2. Drain it and change oil/filter, as it sits. Any condensation should be at the bottom of the pan and filter, so get rid of it before cranking over. then follow the start up suggestions you'll get. Oil and filter are cheap, so more than one change is cheap insurance. Good luck!

Tim, Stock Racer, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Very Nice, could really use a drop and some rake. Also something to break up all that salmon colour.

Stock Racer and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Your '33 Plymouth is actually a '32 Plymouth PB. Or possibly a Desoto. If it still has the original dash post a pic.
    Those are cool cars(I have a '34 sedan), shame what they did to it....

oliver westlund, Tim, dwollam and 4 others like this.

5. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

If it were me I wouldn’t even bother with the fuel that’s in the tank or the tank until you can confirm it’s clean and get fresh fuel in it. I normally use a small tank an plum to fuel pump. Also get it spinning over to blow some of the Marvel out of the cylinders befor you put plugs back in. Depending how much you put in it could hydro lock.
    And congrats that’s a cool car.

6. SS327

SS327

You covered up the engine and tires and wheels and yet you made me look at those tail lights! How dare you sir! That will be 10 demerits and move to the back of the line.

Seriously though, change the oil (don’t do filter yet). Spin over engine with plugs out until you get some oil pressure. Plumb in small gas can and disconnect cars fuel tank. Put plugs back in and start engine. You may also want to pull cap and clean terminals and points if it has them.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Stock Racer like this.
  7. dwollam

dwollam

@RMR&C is right. Not a '33. My preference? Make it all MOPAR as much as possible.

Dave

8. Cool sled, that being a Plymouth it’s likely not even chopped. Good luck with it, will be looking forward to the transformation.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Stock Racer like this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

That car definitely has possibilities. What is the status on the T coupe?

Stogy and Stock Racer like this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

A bit awkward for sure, but tons of potential there, even with the current paint, which appears to be in really good shape. I like those nerf bar bumpers too.

And you win the award for not showing the off-topic pieces. People just love to complain about the rules but there are ways to do it right and you found one of them and it works. Well done there.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

12. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Original dash is long gone. Are there any other defining details?
    IMG_4061.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    Stogy, dwollam and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

dwollam and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I was in complete agreement with you but they are starting to grow on me. Someone put a lot of time into them. To me they look HAMB appropriate so I posted them. I've seen Customs on here with stuff like that. You should see the stuff I didn't show ya. Yikes:eek:
    IMG_4065.jpg

15. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Well...I'm gonna get this thing up and running and if I like it I'll probably (reluctantly) sell the T:(. I'm out of room. That could change if I find inexpensive storage.

16. dwollam

dwollam

Yep, the top one is '32.

Dave

17. SS327

SS327

Yay! You have a real live deuce! Now sell it for lots of money!

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Thanks Guys, appreciate the info. This was a family trust purchase from a third party and I received very little info with the car. I can now say I own a 32:)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  19. gene-koning

gene-koning

If you got a title, I'd call it whatever year the title says it is. You really don't want to get into changing the model year on a title. Some states titled vehicles by the year they were registered, or titled, not by the year the manufactures say they were. We are talking the Great Depression era here, its entirely possible that new car didn't sell until well into 1933.
    Don't get in the habit of calling a 33 titled car a 32, some cop may start asking questions you can't answer, and that is never good.

However, if the estate is handling the paper work, and the guy actually had both a 32 and a 33, correct the error now.

20. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Title is 1976 self assembled

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    Stogy likes this.
  21. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Thanks.
    Yea, I think some could appreciate before and after pics but the rules are the rules.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Stogy and Tman like this.
  22. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Nothing real exciting to report but I haven't posted in a while so... I'm in "get the Race Car ready mode" but I've been sneakin over to the Plymouth making small progress. Smallest battery I could find and it barely fit after grinding off the hold down tabs. Two squirts of Marvel in each cylinder. Flushed the gas tank twice. First time the fuel was brown and smelled nasty. Second flush was much better. I was relieved to find no surprises in the oil. Plugs were black so I've decided to throw a kit in the carb before trying to fire it. Next up I'll pull the cover off of the fuel pump and have a look see.
    IMG_4085.jpg IMG_4041.jpg IMG_4087.jpg IMG_4074.jpg IMG_4109.jpg

23. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Well, the fuel pump didn't survive so I replaced it. Ran my oil pump primer and she had 60 lbs of oil pressure. Rolled her over by the damper bolt and she stopped dead. Panik! Backed it up and tried again a couple times and it freed up and rolled nice after that. Threw some AC plugs in it that I've had in the stash forever (.73 price tag). She fired up! Sounds like it has a cam in it. Diggin it! Sorry for the crappy video but there is still much of the car I can't show
    [​IMG] IMG_4186.jpg IMG_4189.jpg

24. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm really curious about that non-Hamb friendly engine that has a carburetor. Also, the bias ply tires on forbidden wheels. Keeps me coming back to glimpse in the background for clues.

Stock Racer and guthriesmith like this.
  25. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Got some proper Wheels and Tires on her. 14x6 Superiors with 6.95-14 Silvertowns on the front and 15x8.5 American TTO's with 9x28 Towel City's on the rear. Nothing says the 60's like White Wall Cheater Slicks. I suppose
    I can tell you guys what it had. The wheels were American Outlaws and it had some Street Rod looking N-50's on the back sticking way out of the fenders.
    IMG_4194.jpg IMG_4213.jpg IMG_4203.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  26. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

27. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

As far as the engine goes, the intake is an Aluminum, 80's, 305 EGR Intake with a Holley adapter (who puts that on a 327?). The intake is barely noticeable but I could never live down the Pink Spark Plug Wires. Check my previous post for a description of the Wheels and Tires.

Ah yes, the Street Rod Era.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  28. If you need different spark plug wires I think @Moriarity might have a set of yellow ones sitting around. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Tim, Stock Racer and Jim Bouchard like this.
  29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

haha, mine are all black, yellow ones are not traditional either, more of a 70's thing I think

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  30. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I forgot to mention the Steel Braided Radiator Hose Covers. Good lord...