Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1965 Ford F-100 project - on again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the teeth on the pinion.

clem, 3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and 2 others like this.
  2. The numbers of teeth are stamped on the ring gear, most times.

3. Thanks guys. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  4. Ah yes, the joys of a C6 trans. FWIW, the '68 F100 I had with a 360/3 on the tree and heinously high 2.87 rear gears would knock down 20+ MPG regularly so it's not like those motors can't deliver good fuel economy.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and SS327 like this.
  5. SS327

SS327

My old neighbor had a 66 3/4 ton F250. It had a 352, granny 4 speed and 4:11 gears I believe. He took that truck to all 49 states at least once and Alaska every 2 years fishing for the summer. Sold it in 1984 with almost 300,000 miles on it. In all that time it just had regular maintenance, oil change, brakes, alternator, tuneups, one radiator repair and one clutch. I forgot several sets of tires. It was also daily driven on short trips to and from town, about 2 miles round trip. Never so much as a leaking valve cover off of it or a front suspension part. Oh I forgot, an ignition lock cylinder because the original wore out. He sold the truck to his best friend and the last I heard Larry got another 75,000 miles out of it and still running! My point is with proper maintenance there is no reason you should be wearing out engines. Looking at the picture of your truck those tires look awefully short and small. Maybe that is the problem. And the bed on his truck was always full of firewood, a pop up camper top or camping gear. Just trying to give you something to think about.

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

My avatar had a toploader 4 speed and 9 inch with 3.73s. Your straight six has a ton of bottom end grunt like my 429 did and this combo was great when driving across the country(twice). I rebuilt the 4 speed with a kit from Richmond Gear in the late '90s, not sure if they're still around. The kit had all the bearings, synchronizer rings, thrust washers, seals, gaskets etc and was pretty reasonable. Not too many of them old straight sixes around anymore but they sound cool with split manifolds. Gotta follow this one, subscribed.
    Edit, just remembered you mentioned you bought a 4 speed already. I claim Senior Moment.:rolleyes::D

7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, is the guy you got the transmission from a Sanders? if it's the same car I'm thinking about he use to do a lot of street racing around the Clemson, Central ,Anderson area.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

When are you going to get started with the truck?

HOTRODPRIMER and Algoma56 like this.
  9. I had a 67 F250 with a 302 with an AOD behind it with 4:10's in a Dana 60. I wasn't happy with the the way for manages 3rd/4th gear set up. You can get a converter to help out, but at that time all I could get was a 2400 B&M which worked, but I wasn't happy with that stall for my DD truck.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. He is a Sanders but I don't know of him doing any street racing. HRP

11. I'm in the gathering parts stage,I'm going next week to pick up the engine in North Carolina. HRP

Budget36 likes this.
  12. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

T-10 or Toploader? Close or wide ratio?

Joe

13. Budget36

Budget36

What’s the new engine?

14. The engine is a 289, it was torn down and sent it to the machine shop for a clean up bore & rebuild. It’s has a fairly aggressive COMP Cams cam & valve train kit, it has a balanced rotating assembly and new pistons, etc. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  15. The transmission is out of a 1964 Comet. HRP

fauj likes this.
  16. Hopefully the 289 is a five-bolt block then, as the '64 Fords were still using the narrow trans pattern that won't fit the later bells. Unless you're lucky enough to find a replacement service dual-pattern bell. You will have to address the different size of the trans input bearing cover onto that bell by swapping to the newer, larger cover.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Steve, does anyone sell H-1 bearing retainers??? Seems like unobtanium.

Joe

18. HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Just.dale

Just.dale

A barn find in your own barn!!! How awesome is that!!!

20. 64 toploader also has a 25 spline output shaft if I am not mistaken ,, at least mine does
    Anyone have a 25 spline yoke ??

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. If you need the early one, just turn down one of those in a lathe. That's the only difference.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Another '65 project F100 coming:D. I'm so dug into mine, it's good to look up and peek over the fence - I'll watch. I've got a straight 6, 4spd with 3.73's. Haven't driven it in a year but, it was ok on the highway. I'm so close to getting it on the road I can taste it. Come on, drag it out and show it off.

HOTRODPRIMER and Joe Travers like this.
  24. Going to Shelby,North Carolina tomorrow afternoon to pick up the engine from my pal Tom. HRP

OahuEli, e1956v, Joe Travers and 2 others like this.
  25. Cool! Looking forward to following along.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

^^^ What Jeff Said ^^^

guthriesmith and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Do it! I have a 65 as my current daily, dumped a actual ton of trees today in one load, and will drive the kids to school Monday morning, absolutely great trucks 3C73908B-AECF-46DC-A881-5F1362BFA707.jpeg

Joe Travers and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

And just adding mine was a delivery truck for Atlantas end of February, all running gear drained, brakes ,steering flushed and pulled the carpets. You wouldn’t know, runs stops steers wonderfully. Ford had their shit together bye mid 60,s johnny CD4814A5-2427-4BED-8621-CE02DBA212C9.jpeg

ffr1222k and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. A little over a 200 mile round trip to pick up the engine from Tom, we didn't have a lot of time to visit but we did get to met Toms wife on this visit.

We were hoping to out run the bad weather but got deluged on the way home, fortunately the engine was wrapped up tight and when we unloaded it in the garage it was as dry as a bone.

Thank you Tom.HRP

30. Budget36

Budget36

Good deal Danny.