Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Resisting Change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stanlow69, Apr 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It is far better to hire people that don't need to be checked up on every hour.

cfmvw likes this.
  2. cfmvw

cfmvw

I worked at a company who had a lot of managers. Eventually someone figured out that some of them never actually did anything, they just went to meetings all day long.

Beanscoot, 210superair and echo ed like this.
  3. Normally she is very good, but I think people have gotten so used to E-mail, texting, and all this other bull shit that it is their natural reaction and the idea of just talking to someone face to face doesn't even come to mind for them.

427 sleeper and '28phonebooth like this.
  4. I use technology everyday at work. My curriculum is online. I got a fancy big touch screen thingy hanging in the wall. I have dang bear unlimited access to videos, pictures and manuals.
    How does that paint mix? I use the hand held mini computer and look it up.
    Need to order a part? Bang. Done. No magazine to dig through. (I do miss the PAW catalogues)
    I teach a lesson. Student takes an online test. Bang. I got a grade recorded.
    Ran a high tech frame machine for years. No hanging centerline gauges (they still work if you know how to use em). I can measure and record every jig hole and mounting point on a car. I can do comparative side to side. No frame sheet? No problem. I could still measure and create my own. Watch pulls and measure them during the pull. Print off measurements for records.
    Tinting paint for hours? Nope. Take a pic, enter the car info. Bang. Get a great match 99% of the time.
    My old car body square? Shoot a laser down it.
    Welders? Dial in thickness and weld. Drill holes for a plug weld? Not much. Enter the thickness, pull a trigger. Welded.
    Need to attach aluminum to steel? Squeeze a tube of glue, pull the trigger on a self piercing rivet gun.
    And all this and more can be used to fix the old stuff we love here.
    Can’t find a rare lenses? Print one.
    Need a unobtainable part? Scan and machine one

All this new is based on centuries old skills.
    I still hit cars with hammers. Shaping metal is shaping metal. Spray technique is spray technique. Measurements and math are still the same.
    I still hunt old tools because of their simple/sturdy/quality construction. Where I worked at we had a 70 year old Yoder next to a new CNC.
    Both were used and needed.

brando1956, Cosmo49, Ned Ludd and 3 others like this.
  5. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Technology is good in it's place but how many students can work cube and quad roots by the long hand method when their phone batteries go dead??? lol

'28phonebooth likes this.
  6. None of mine. Not even me I’ve never needed one of those to fix a car.
    I teach collision repair.
    We hit cars with hammers.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    brando1956 and razoo lew like this.
  7. twenty8

twenty8

Here's the thing....
    What has changed is that you can't always rely on others to take responsibility for doing their job correctly.
    In my business, I now use email and text only for any communication about things that I need people to order/do.
    Too many times I have been let down by people covering their ass by trying to lie about whether they were told verbally about something. It has been getting worse and worse in recent times. Now, when they want to debate who stuffed up, we can have the conversation while looking at the email that was sent. A record kept can certainly have a positive effect on peoples sense of responsibility...........

8. Jones St.

Jones St.

Digital clocks are replacing the standard, old school (DOH!) dials in the education prison's. Watch them there faces when you hand a cashier (soon a debit only deal) CASH & they go to figure the CHANGE due. 'puter's will enslave the wage slaves soon enough.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  9. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

How sad it is that the sense of personal responsibility is no longer a priority !

10. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I hear ya but in the "olden dayz" we were able to hire people that were reliable and you didn't have to check on them.
    We hear how bad things are now from our grandkids.

LAROKE and '28phonebooth like this.
  11. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I was going to mention that. There isn't one in ten store clerks nowdays that can figure change without the register.

12. The funny part is that if you don’t like the current generation, they didn’t raise themselves.
    Prior generations did.
    That’s the feet where lays the failure.

13. twenty8

twenty8

Yep. Like I said, this has certainly changed. Good, reliable employees are still out there, and if you find them and then treat them like the valuable commodity they are, you can control the internal aspect of responsibility in your business. But then you need to deal with suppliers and other businesses, and the shit attitude becomes a problem. It frustrates me that my own reputation in business has to rely on others holding up their end when I deal with them. It seems that the almighty dollar is the only focus of many these days. Strip as much as you can as quickly as you can before it turns to shit, and then pop up somewhere else under a new name and do it all over again.

Having a conscience and a good moral compass should never change........

14. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I lke your signature except I would modify it to use hydrocyanic acid.(HCN)

twenty8 likes this.
  15. wvenfield

wvenfield

My buddy has been looking for a manual bellhousing for a late 50's Pontiac for a pretty long time. They aren't so easy to come by. An older guy told him he was pretty sure he had one out in his shed if we wanted to come over and look. We went today. There was the bellhousing but wanting to be 100% sure it was the one he wanted he did a quick search on his cell phone for the part number that was on it. 1958 Pontiac. $50 and it was his.

anthony myrick likes this.
  16. twenty8

twenty8

I agree totally. Many try to blame the education system, but your kids live in your home with you for many, many years. Plenty of time to mold and shape them into decent human beings. Unless, of course, you get all caught up in your own selfish me-me-me life and think it is someone else's job to raise your children.........o_O

17. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

A wealthy society empowers idiots, a healthy society does not, the vultures are circling, ie. investment groups

moparboy440 and 210superair like this.
  18. The modern world pfft.
    I sleep on the ground under a cliff overhang, wrestle kangaroos to the ground and eat them raw.
    Now i see all these "young people" using boomerangs, living in humpys and wearing possum skin cloaks.
    Fools! What next, stone tools? baaahahaha
    If they could only hear my Grandpa's stories about the good old days, just floating around as a single celled organism in a primordial swamp.
    Now that was living...

19. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I remember those old days. Don't forget swimming in a bilabong. Stone tools are next.

Glitchy likes this.
  20. ken bogren

ken bogren

It's Doctor Spocks fault!

21. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I did (and still do) the best I can with my kids. At times I fail, but at least they all say please and thankyou, can change a tyre, and can cook/clean/wash/iron/sew before they leave home.

What impresses me is when I see people trying to not only do the best they can with their own, but to help other people's kids learn (responsibility, common sense, life skills) too. Mr Myrick's recent posts on his tech student coaching is a good example. Makes me ponder if I am doing enough to help others resist change.

Cheers,
    Harv

210superair and twenty8 like this.
  22. E5EA8773-432E-419A-AF39-A9F9838F7083.jpeg

427 sleeper and 210superair like this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When a plane fly`s overhead, I look up. When waiting on a train. I count how many cars it`s pulling. And I always pull over when a funeral procession goes by. I had zero texts to look at and zero E-mails to read today. I had a very productive day. No planes to stop and look at either. The phone rang 4 times today. And not a one was a telemarketer either.

williebill likes this.
  24. Jones St.

Jones St.

Ah, the kids spend how much time (young impressionable years) in the schools & electronic gizmo influences. How much hands on time w/ Mom & or dad if they are a real family unit? Compared to 10 years ago. 15 years ago. 20 years ago. The media machines messes w/the masses for a century now. Hell-in-a-hen-basket.

WalkerMD and Wanderlust like this.

25. Good point. Without being able to solve these calculations by hand, how many students UNDERSTAND what cube and quad roots are and how they are used?

26. I find it is just the opposite, people don't check E-Mail and if the do they don't read it they interpret and put their own spin on it, if they don't understand the don't ask questions, they just do what they think should be done.

Where if someone tells you what to do face to face or by phone, their is no doubt.

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I suck at math when you talk about things like that. Maybe my teacher didn`t explain it well. I`m more of a hands on type of guy who can build and fabricate.

28. twenty8

twenty8

I am more talking about dealing with suppliers, contractors and subcontractors. These days, you need to have a record of what was required and agreed upon. The old days of ordering parts over the phone were wonderful, but it does not work so well now. And if you don't have a hard copy of the transaction (email or similar), they will not want to accept responsibility. It's never anyone's fault...... until you can prove it. And if you have suppliers, workers, etc. that can't be bothered to check their emails and respond accordingly, I would strongly recommend finding new ones.

The change in the attitude and effort levels of the general population is one change I strenuously do resist.....

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    williebill and LAROKE like this.
  29. And it is apparent on this forum.

Ben

30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.