Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Electric replacement for Vaccumm wiper motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod 55t, May 1, 2022.

1. hotrod 55t

hotrod 55t

I have a '53 Nash Rambler with what looks like a fairly common vaccumm wiper motor. I want to replace it and short or a 3 or 400 dollar piece is there a motor that might get me two speeds and the ablility to rest like to old one. I have read about Newport, nice but I'd like something a little less pricey.

2. The old stand by universal wiper motor. HRP

download.jpeg

dana barlow likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

most of us don't know what the wiper motor on a Nash looks like, or where it's mounted. The type posted above works on earlier cars with no wiper transmission, the wiper arm mounts directly to the motor.

If you want something nice, you're either going to have to do some fabricating, or pay the price of the aftermarket stuff. The problem is most wiper motors on newer cars turn a full circle, and the linkage makes the blades move only partway, but with vacuum wipers the motor turns only part of a turn back and forth.

And AMC kept using vacuum wipers into the 70s, so there's not much later factory stuff from them that will help.

good luck! maybe you can find the type of motor that newport uses, and adapt it? I think it's from a foreign car.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. BTW, you can but wipers in a bottle. :D I've used it for more than 30 years. HRP

Rain-X

[​IMG]

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

I am using an American Bosch 2 speed wiper with park that has the back and forth pivot you are after. Check for one through the internet.

Tman and alanp561 like this.
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Try Newport Engineering. They have a variety of motors and one might work for you?

Mimilan likes this.
  7. CME1

CME1

I have used Newport Engineering wiper kits on several cars. They are very easy to install and work great. I don't remember them being too expensive.

olscrounger and Hnstray like this.
  8. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Butt wipers in a bottle? Ron

9. Last edited: May 1, 2022
    Tman, jim snow and i.rant like this.
  10. manyolcars

manyolcars

some hotrods use the wiper motor from 1970s VW bugs. cheap at the U Pull It

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  11. RmK57

RmK57

If your into fabricating something you may want to look into a boat wiper motor. They swing back and forth, have an adjustable sweep and can be wired to park either left or right. Ongaro is one brand although a bit pricey, there are also some cheaper knockoffs available to.

[​IMG]

Tman and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have a VW unit that looks the same.

13. Mimilan

Mimilan

Keep it vacuum and install an alternator off a Japanese diesel engine
    They have a vacuum pump on the back of them [that could "suck start" a Harley]

upload_2022-5-2_13-20-17.png

Tman, tr_rodder and brando1956 like this.
  14. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

15. hotrod 55t

hotrod 55t

16. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I've used '56 Chevrolet electric wiper motor units as a direct bolt-on replacement for those Trico vacuum units on early '50s ford units in the past. Simple: unbolt the oud one / bolt on the Chevrolet unit /attach the original cable to the electric unit /attach a fused 12volt wire to the unit's existing wire & now you have wipers.

pprather likes this.
  17. hotrod 55t

hotrod 55t

Have you made this work?

18. nickleone

nickleone

I built electric wipers for my 62 classic. With the wiper motor inside the car it might be easier.
    I used these parts and a motor from a Ford truck (pick a part source) some 80s Ford trucks also had multi speed modules located under the dash attached to the switch.
    Look at the parts catalog. https://midwestbusparts.com/catalog/midwestbuspartscatalog.pdf
    go to Page 154 I got a bracket, arms and pivots. Took the arm off the vacuumn motor and welded to a coller and used a roll pin thru the collar and the shaft .
    Wired like Ford truck wire diagram
    If your wiper motor is inside the car it is is easier than if the current wiper motor is on the fire wall. I built a recess into the fire wall for the electric motor and sealed it.
    Looks like this.

[​IMG]

19. jaracer

jaracer

While Newport may seem a bit pricy, their product is first rate.

20. Trico made most all of the vacc motors for manufacturers. Here is a 52. I have found that many of the aftermarket replacements cross over.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Does it work at all? Just slow? Just a thought. when i was poor and had to run one on my 56 chevy, when it got slow I would squirt brake fluid in the port. Would run like a charm for 3-4 months. have to do it again. Fluid swelled the seals. I know thats not what you asked for ,but just a thought.
    If you have a pic a part close by, spend a day walking through and see if you see anything close. Best of luck!!

22. I have used a headlight wiper motor from some Eurotrash vehicle, they have a 6mm shaft, about 90 degree swing , and a "park" position. Mid 90's Volvo, Audi, etc , used the same type .

23. Like Krylon32 said check out Newport engineering

24. hotrod 55t

hotrod 55t

I've ordered and Ongaro marine motor. Lots of adjustability and I believe I can make it work. (fingers crossed)