Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1965 F100 father and sons project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhitewallWill, Dec 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

I agree, Ya gotta have multiple checkered surfaces. My 15 yr old's shoes and our diff. Thought about the firewall at one point but, I think that might be one for a 30's vintage build down the road.

2. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Finished up the patch then started cleaning up all the junk I had in the truck - how did that happen? As soon as I did I noticed all the stuff I hadn't finished. Spot here and there so looking to smooth it up somewhat and start bolting it together. Kids and I went to a car show today and saw a '64 F100 getting signage painted on the doors. Nice truck but... fake patina paint job done the same colour as ours. Nothing fake about our patina that's for sure. Pic of the full floor done, that was a shit ton of work man.
    20220414_181007_resized.jpg 20220416_153349_resized.jpg 20220416_204434_resized.jpg

jaracer, brEad and MRW1994 like this.
  3. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

We're bolting!!!!!!
    On my hands and knees shimming the box and getting door gaps right. Wally the photo bomber wouldn't leave me alone which was a clear signal - enough of whatever you're doing, it's now ME time. Off we go for a walk!
    View attachment 5376721 20220417_163729_resized.jpg 20220417_163939_resized.jpg 20220417_121747.jpg 20220417_124600.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  4. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

One of the kids finished the welding on the tailgate while I drove around trying to find bolts. Couple of pin holes to touch up then clean it. Continuing the bolt up we have caged nuts that have snapped off. Make the hole bigger, weld a nut to a washer then tack that to the hole.
    20220418_145020.jpg
    20220418_174436.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    brEad likes this.
  5. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

"...Make the hole bigger, weld a nut to a washer then tack that to the hole.... Clever!!

Looks like you could just put the front fenders on and drive it!

6. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Thanks @NashRodMan . Looked at the date of some photos and April 2/21 was the day we started rippin 'er apart. I have to finish plumbing the brakes, build the steering linkage and front shock mounts then align and get it on the road. Hoping to wrap by 2nd, 3rd week of May. Truck has consumed some hrs but, overall fairly happy with the timing. If we are driving this spring I consider it mission accomplished. From there on it's custom fun stuff rather than heavy lifting.

pprather likes this.
  7. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Oh ya, and I have to wire this thing. I'm more comfortable wiring a house than a car. This too we can learn. Just a shot of what we started with. I got everything labelled as best as I could before we got too deep. I had a no charge alternator in spite of the fact I bought a brand new one. This is when you need a guy who knows this stuff cold, likes Pizza and Beer, needs something I can do sleepwalking and can listen to sarcasm in abundance. Anyone out there in North Van who this appeals to?
    20200904_084336_resized.jpg

brEad and NashRodMan like this.
  8. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

My 17 yr. old hung with me the whole day while my wife and other guy were gone. I messed with the passenger door and he made a 12g bracket to hold the metering valve for the drum/disk brakes. You tend to underestimate the value of making simple brackets until you start showing someone. He just got accepted to go to school for Industrial Design when he graduates from High School so I spent more time explaining why it should be 1/4" radiused as opposed to square edge. Why you look at other brackets for style clues around the rest of the vehicle and why something might look like it does, eg. gusseted or not. Only got one bracket done but, it is one helluva bracket. Got him making a brake line too. Day of firsts.
    20220423_164122_resized.jpg 20220423_170940_resized.jpg 20220423_205324_resized.jpg

RustyDogg, brEad and MRW1994 like this.
  9. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Planned to finish brake lines today. Poked at the wiring coming through the firewall and... it's bad. Out she comes! Wasn't planning on a complete rewire but, after pulling all the plastic loom cover off I found 2 more bad connections and the grounds were either rusted or attached to rust. I guess if you don't do it complete you get what you deserve. Going to go 'no wire look' so pulling from the firewall down into the frame and will feed the engine from the front. Need to extend a bunch of wire just to make it all a bit harder than it needs to be. Gotta get rid of the road draft tube and switch to a PCV.
    20220424_134717_resized.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  10. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Researching Weather Pack connectors to get through the firewall. I'd like this thing to still look vintage but, safe and water tight. I guess with what looks like 6 wires to the rear, 9 to the engine and maybe 7ish for lighting, horn, wiper reservoir... plus it looks like someone aimed then barfed the wiring through the hole in the firewall! I've never done this so I put a call out to someone who does. Will see what sort of budget I get from him to start and possibly show me so we learn something and then we finish it or let him go on the whole shebang. By the time I buy a kit, crimpers etc. etc. he can have it done while we push on to other things that need completing. Here is an example of his work and a pic of what the firewall looked like before I pulled the covers off. Pretty sure I can learn something from him rather than muddle through on our own.
    20200923_082744_resized.jpg 20220424_083819_resized.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    bobss396 likes this.
  11. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Our girl is squatting down as we add parts. Fuel tank in - took 3 of us to muscle it into the bed. Tues we review electrical, budget and time. Not installing sound deadener or anything this round as the process is prime and bolt. We will be knocking this thing apart again after the cruising season is done. 20220427_193904_resized.jpg 20220428_175144_resized.jpg 20220428_175212_resized.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  12. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

What should I do while waiting for parts - how about some more rust repair. Going after driver's side fender. Inner structure first like everything else on the truck. I'll grind it all smooth dolly it straight then make the outer skin. It looks flat but, actually pretty curvy. Will have to make it in several pieces to get the curves to work.
    20220430_161921_resized.jpg 20220430_200834_resized.jpg 20220430_204540_resized.jpg

The Magic Ratchet and brEad like this.
  13. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

So our wiring plan for Clementine was hatched this week. Going to grommet through the firewall for now and extend wires to rad support then back feed to engine. Second round I'll do a bulkhead fitting. Once we are fully functional we are going to cover wire with tech flex to make it look nice and make sure connections are bomber. Our wiring guy wants the front clip on so we make sure we get to the correct destinations. This is a good test to see if all our inner fender repairs land us in the correct spot. Had some struggles with fenders today so it feels like I will be pulling it apart a few times before this dance is done. Getting closer!
    20220507_183506_resized.jpg 20220507_184358_resized.jpg 20220507_184343_resized.jpg

14. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Going to deke out to the garage after I finish making a Mother's Day card. I started by aligning door gaps then loose bolted the inner fenders to the firewall. Loose bolted the rad support to the inner fenders. When I put the fenders on at first they were super tight and pushed out a bit at the bottom which created issues opening the doors. The gap at the door to fender wasn't working. Made some holes bigger and that seemed to help alignment. Think I read somewhere on some cars the front clip was assembled off the car then bolted on. After getting more bolts it helped tighten things up but, still had to order 5/16" -18 fender bolts. Holy supply chain issues. I don't see many of these trucks but, when I do they seem to have alignment issues at the back of the hood corners as they come to the cowl. Going to work that issue out. Can't do this much metal work and end up with that.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    The Magic Ratchet and brEad like this.
  15. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

A good day, all bolted together and grill is safety wired so we can drop it once wiring begins. The grill and fenders were held on with zap straps when I bought it. I'll spend more time shimming at final assembly including pulling off weather strip and strike plates to get the doors dialed. Haven't seen it together for a year. Now I can decide on wheels, gold with blackwall or white and whitewall.
    20220508_180755_resized.jpg 20220508_181058_resized.jpg 20220508_183547_resized.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  16. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Realized the 5 week run we did to get our truck on the road when we first bought it June 2020 is not in this thread. These shots were within minutes of the first wash. It just looked too bland to me. The blue colour screamed 50's so thought it needed to have a vibe closer to that era. I've wanted scallops since I bought my first F100 in 1981. Now I'm cutting more apart and screwing up our pristine paint( choke, gasp) because what we have is not nice rust, it's bondo covered lava cake. We'll fix the worst of it and try to blend back to blue as time permits. Also needed to drop the front wheels back then to see what elevation I needed to get to. Wasn't going to happen with what we had. Looking at my wingers, they've sure grown since then. Scallops went down with lot's of tweaking. I must have bought 5 different golds in the quest for the right one. We need to get some in the cab to unify the whole project but, the focus has not been cosmetics, that's the fun part later.
    20200802_215051[11909].jpg 20200719_163224[11907].jpg 20200803_110813[11915].jpg 20200828_181946[11916].jpg 20200829_114727_resized.jpg

17. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

My wife is an art teacher so she has a couple of projectors. Found a font I liked and an image on the web then made a sign. Threw that on a projector when it was dark and pencil sketched it on the doors while still mounted on the truck. The hand painting began with some white one shot and some black I toned down to grey. Took 2 or 3 evenings to complete and my shaky hand striping skills are evident. Think total cost was about $40 in paint. Not sure I'm done with it as I think letters might need some outlining to make them stand out on the light blue. It's subtle for now and of course I took the doors off to cut the truck up later. Should have flipped the car to have it pointing forward on the driver's side - Oh well that's what you get from an amateur. 20210329_203721_resized.jpg

18. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Still waiting for parts, still fixing rust. Hit the bondo jackpot. A big bump of mud under there but felt smooth from the back??? Little bugger of a fender took a big hunk of the day. Inner structure is repaired nice and solid. Will make the top of the fender tomorrow then grind it all smooth after finish welding. I just gave it a nice cozy sponge bath yesterday then I blast bondo dust all over it today. Typical real world sequencing.
    20220514_154737_resized.jpg 20220514_193024_resized.jpg 20220514_201709_resized.jpg

19. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Wives. I'm lucky I have one who is extremely supportive but, I came into the house expressing great pride over the piece I made. Different radius at either end with a twist and a parabolic curve through it's length within a moment she showed me a woman working on what looks like a '53 chev who has cut/punched the sheet metal throughout the whole car to make it look like tooled leather. I went back outside to sulk - but, not really.
    20220514_184439_resized.jpg

20. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

I really like doing metal fabrication as it turns out. If I had more time I would do more. Did the curvy piece by hammering it over a pipe just like a caveman would. Takes more time and my problem is stopping myself from doing everything. Have to remind myself I wanted a truck with dings and bangs. Top fender repair will be buried deep under bondo so the little speed wobble at the leading edge will be invisible once it gets a skim to bring it back on plane with the rest of the fender.
    20220515_113450_resized.jpg 20220515_185202_resized.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    guthriesmith and bobss396 like this.
  21. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Got a text from my wife today, hey did you buy something from.....it showed up! Yah Man! Front shocks, brake rebuild kit, 1" front sway bar, bushing kits for blah, blah, blah. It's almost all here to get to the running and driving finish line. I can't believe how close we are. Nervous laugh coming soon.

brEad likes this.
  22. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Holiday on Monday so hope to put some time into Clementine. Still need one more universal joint for steering linkage. Bought a beefy, evasive action, 1" front sway bar with a plan to use the original 3/4" bar and modify it for the rear. Seeing the odd classic on the streets now that the weather is cooperating.
    20220520_195205_resized.jpg

brEad and pprather like this.
  23. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Ran into a technical issue with calipers so had to do something about the whitewall situation for our front wheels. Went a bit ghetto and ground the letters off the sidewall of my brand new Cooper Cobras. Sprayed 3 coats of Plastidip then 3 coats of SEM white vinyl dye over that. How do I know that works - well, because that's what I did a year ago to the rears and they still look nice and white. No dis-colouring. Not proud but, happy! When prices come back under control I'll go for some nice whitewalls but, for now, as my teenagers say - It's got the drip!
    20220522_161754_resized.jpg 20220522_162149_resized.jpg

24. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Got my 15 year old all day making shock mounts. Cutting, fabbing and some welding. So much to learn at that age but, he did great. How is it you can point a camera at a kid and they can manage to disappear.
    20220523_163310_resized.jpg 20220523_143317_resized.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    guthriesmith and Cooon like this.
  25. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Wow, I really missed a bunch of updates since the beginning of May! Dont know how since I check in often. Oh well. Anyway, the truck is looking great. Love the bracket the boy made for the brake vale. Love the scallops! I'm thinking of doing that on my 55. Nice work on the door art too. Its sooo cool seeing the pics of the boys working on it. They are learning skills they will never forget.

WhitewallWill likes this.
  26. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Thanks for keeping an eye on us @NashRodMan. The Scallop thread fired up by @ccain running now could help you grab the tape and paint gun. Scallops make even a non hot rod look the part - for example ours!

27. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I just checked out that scallop thread after you reminded me of it. I remember it when it first posted and loved all the puns. LOL. I'm thinking along the line of the red scallops on the mailbox with for my truck. But you doing the thing on the door really got me thinking also. Now...back to the scallop thread!!

WhitewallWill likes this.
  28. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Off for another dallup of scallop.

29. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

We were going to go to a local swap meet today to see what we could find that might be cool. Calender is forcing us to skip it. Kid's are in agreement on this so we're going to thrash this thing out and get it done. Will hit the swap meet next year. Found the source of our hood alignment issue. Under the hinge pad on the hood it is crushed then repaired with a fat weld bead that makes the hood stand up. Pushed the hinge down as low as possible and ovalized the holes and it doesn't help much. Not going to get to the hood this year. Front shock mounts to complete and sway bar to mount. Calipers to finish and mount then plumb. Our wiring guy has gone awol - new baby on the way. Looks like we are going to wire this thing. Fingers crossed.

brEad likes this.
  30. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

We went from jammed caliper pistons to damn near a trailer queen today.
    20220528_163542.jpg

brEad, pprather and guthriesmith like this.