Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A collection of old parts or real?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Apr 17, 2022.

1. The valve covers are out. They’re just sitting there. Probably won’t fit. Owner says it’s a 265 and it was a dirt track car.
    Doesn’t have much as far as cage and bumpers for that
    Of course it’s a “vette” engine
    E1637F9A-0CF1-40FB-9FF4-B53AD35D26B1.jpeg

2. Well, early distributor, exhaust manifolds, iron thermostat housing. Later starter-end plate. Likely a Vette engine, because the regular ones grew into Vettes after a couple of years maturing.

vtx1800, Hnstray and chopped like this.
  3. To me it looks like a poorly executed attempt at a custom from the 70’s .

and as much as it’s always a dodge , a Chevy engine is always a corvette !!!

name dropping of possibly popular racing teams and 1 year only ‘vette engines my guess is buddy thinks he’s sitting on rusty gold !!

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

If you pay me $250, I might be willing to haul it away for you.

2OLD2FAST, Gasser 57 and Stogy like this.
  5. Well, a small pile of gold. Offered at 2k.

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. Someone was removing the bars from the frame. Stude hubcap.
    Un-dirt tracking it?

SS327 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't believe the stuff people did back in the day...no shortage of oddballs...I suppose if a dirt track racer these also evolved from deathtraps to the iron fortresses they are now...it also looks a repurposed doodlebug...

They must have had sideshows at those races and invited free for alls between races...maybe this may have been a possibility...I suppose the components help date the build period...and a flathead or six could have been a prior form of motive power...

Certainly a Jalopy without a doubt...She's all yours Anthony...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  8. My daughter came into the den this morning with that same picture on her phone and one of her friends ask her if I knew what it was, sure I know, it's a POS, Model A cowl and the rear half of a unknow car. HRP

9. Yep. I’d drive it
    POS? Pile of scrap…not yet :):)
    Im glad I got all the projects I need

Stogy likes this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Have you fellas given any thought to the possibility, that the engine might be a "Arkie Duntov" Corvette engine ?

11. Anthony, you are a talented man and I feel certain if you wanted to you could make something out of the amalgamation of parts & pieces, my fear is my daughters friend may purchase the pile and not having a single tool much less any mechanical ability will end up looking to me for help.

A young guy that wants a hot rod but is totally clueless can get in too deep and loose interest fast if someone doesn't tries and guide them and help them make good decisions.

You being a teacher your students follow your lead and they know they have access to your years of knowledge, basically the project is not for a novice. HRP

SS327, VANDENPLAS and rusty valley like this.
  12. Fix the brakes. Make sure it’s all bolted down.
    Zoom Zoom.
    Kids gotta learn on something. Why not a beater.

X-cpe, ClarkH, SS327 and 5 others like this.
  13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

The Keystone valve covers are probably one of the few things worth salvaging off that mess.

14. rusty valley

rusty valley

15. Yep. My son wanted a jeep. An old one. Only one he could afford was a basket case. No floor, rotted frame, broke rotted springs, locked up engine. I drove 4 hours with him to get it.
    Waste of time and $$$$$$?
    Nope. We rebuilt the trans and t-case. Used the lock out hubs and it had updated axles in the front. Salvaged the grill and gauges.
    Located a better tub and frame. In the process of finishing up the axles now.
    He’s learning the same way I did.

16. 327Eric

327Eric

It looks bad enough to be vintage.

SS327, Stogy and anthony myrick like this.
  17. Magfiend

Magfiend

I'll take the air cleaner...

anthony myrick likes this.
  18. gene-koning

gene-koning

I guess the deal maker/breaker would be if it came with a title, or if I could get a title. 2G is the old $200. If there was a title, I've started with a lot less.

What it may have been in its past really doesn't matter, what someone may choose to build it into now, makes all the difference. It could be a really fun, fairly cheap ride, if its as solid as the pictures show. Nothing says it has to be a finished show car to have fun with it.

ClarkH, anthony myrick and Budget36 like this.
  19. indyjps

indyjps

Cant quite figure this one. Was it a truck cab?
    It has a funky street machine look- 70's.
    If you wanted doors, Would need some sort of rear extension on the body to stretch the wheelbase a little. I guess the door could be notched.
    Rear end?? Either run massive tires or get a new one to tuck it in. Really all 4 wheels are too wide.
    Frame, not sure I'd trust much there, needs stripped, straightened, unF'd.
    Engine, check the numbers, I've found good parts where they shouldn't have been.

Agree, depends on what the intended build is. Keep a stock car vibe and it may be fun.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. Well the battery suggests it might run, couple of grille shells, front and rear axles, friction shocks, would like to see the rear rims. Four gear and pedals? At least one big headlight and some sort of 70s steering wheel. The rest is a good candidate for a chicken coop or jungle gym for the kids. With some negotiation and verification of an ownership we could be off to the races, better than money in the bank.

anthony myrick likes this.