Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Barn find 57 vette.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jul 24, 2021.

1. noboD

noboD

AMEN to that Alchemy!!

2. alchemy

alchemy

On my survivor car I didn't recover the seats for the first summer. We just used cardboard over the old bare springs. It was fun for a while, til I got poked in the rump. I can understand new seat covers if the old ones allow bloodloss.

I don't really have any right to express my opinion on the OP's car, as a matter of fact I don't even own a Corvette. But my brother does have a vintage Vette and I can for sure guarantee he won't be repainting the vintage scuffed, faded, cracked, etc old finish. As a matter of fact, it's one of the reasons he bought that particular car in the first place.

WC145, 41 GMC K-18, bowie and 3 others like this.
  3. You guys need to read the whole thread. The seats were recovered because mice were living in them. The smell was terrible. Something needed to be done. The trim on the passenger side is broken and bent. Its now a safety hazzard walking past the car. Its easy to get snagged.
    I wont have good money chasing bad putting a half ass paint job on it. The money can be more useful in other places.
    I really dont care about attracting a crowd around the car. I have been there and done that. Most of my cars have been featured multiple times in magazines. I just want to drive the car around. It doesnt matter if its restored or a mess. Cruising down the road the view out the windshield is the same. The focus right now is safe and dependable. When the time comes to blow it apart then we will see what happens. A lot can change in that time.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  4. That’s a good looking Corvette…..

Cosmo49 and racer-x like this.
  5. I like your plans. Pretty sure I would be following the exact same plans as you have been. And, I still need one similar and am waiting on that opportunity. :D

Thor1 and racer-x like this.
  6. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

racer-x recued the car from oblivion. He has made it better than he found it. He has been good enough to share his experience with us. I feel no need to tell him what he should do, or shouldn't do. He has no need of knowing what I would do. Great stuff racer-x, thanks for sharing.

7. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Safe and dependable is good.
    I like it as it is and I’ll like it with whatever you decide to do with it.

Barn finds are fun with bringing the old girl back to life.

Thanks for sharing.

Thor1, oldsroller, Cosmo49 and 3 others like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sounds like more overtime is in Brians' future!

Thor1, David Gersic and racer-x like this.
  9. Having Big Big fun today. After the heater core was pressure tested its time to get it all back together. Having heat in the car can give me a good two months plus of driving each season. A month in the spring and a month in the fall. Plus my wife will be more likely to go for a ride.
    What wasnt destroyed from age was missing completely. New gaskets are part of this job so i can drive it in the rain or wash it without having soggy carpet. New antennas are in replacing the broken units that kind of flopped to the side. They really looked bad. 20220416_133431.jpg 20220416_133422.jpg

65pacecar, drdave, Squablow and 5 others like this.
  10. I think im closer to a decision on the hood. Im leaning towards only painting the center and bumps. If i do more its going to open a big can of worms. Then i might as well take the whole car apart. I dont have time for that right now.

65pacecar, Squablow, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Drive it - screw the worms.

racer-x, safetythird, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

Simple easy approach to a safe comfortable driver. Win win.

racer-x and 427 sleeper like this.
  13. noboD

noboD

Good decision.

14. Im bringing 57 vette parts to jefferson swap this coming weekend. Getting rid of extra parts. Two grilles; exhaust manifolds; stainless ignition covers; starter; battery tray; valve covers 7 fin etc.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    65pacecar, Thor1 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  15. What was the movie where a kid welds himself in his car to win another guy's vette?
    He said ''man if I had that car, I'd just drive and drive...''
    That's how it looks to me!
    The end of the movie was a twist, also.

tomkelly88 and Thor1 like this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

Good call on the heater. Just fixed the heat in my '57 210 and drove it on a long trip this weekend, was so much more comfortable with functional heat. Plus it's been so darn cold this spring so far, now I can start dailying it from here on out without freezing my butt off. Well worth the effort.

That flexible duct looks a lot like the piece I had to buy for the passenger car, but it felt like it was a bit too small. I got it on there, but I had to clip a few internal wires and really force the crap out of it to get it onto the appropriate ducts. I am curious to know how well it fits on the Corvette.

And I think it's a good idea about the hood. Sometimes that can of worms gets deep. You can always go back and do more later. If you wanted to at some point, you could do the fiberglass repair on that fender hole and just touch it up with a brush. Wouldn't look perfect but the fiberglass repair would be done so no harm done later on down the road if you want to repaint the car.

17. Hose fits fine.

Squablow and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  18. The throttle has a very tight spot in it at idle. I might not have the correct parts. The bracket and arm at the firewall are the issue. The rod points down. I think the arm is too high. Corvette city lists a 57-58 arm thats flat. Zips lists a round 57 arm. Who has the correct parts?
    Are the parts different for a single four and a 2x4 carb set up?
    I dont trust internet pics. Looking for a correct pic.
    Thanks

19. Stopped at the old guys place. He had a 60 trunk lid off the car he rolled in 1968. Its perfect. If someone needs it its for sale. I prefer it goes on a car and not ebay.

20. This is what i have now. The rod points down. Its action is to first pull up on the carb linkage then pull back. Im sure my issue is right here. I think the flat bar is too long. There are no extra holes to lower it. 20220424_175001.jpg 20220424_174957.jpg

65pacecar, Thor1, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here is a pic I found of a stock setup. originally they were progressive. I bet if you linked the 2 carbs using the lower holes in the carb arms then hook up the throttle pull linkage to the top hole on the rear carb, It will make the angle a little less severe 562x4.jpg

cederholm, 65pacecar, WC145 and 12 others like this.
  22. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

The round accelerator lever Zip lists is a reproduction unique to the Fuel Injection engine.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    65pacecar and racer-x like this.
  23. 20220424_174957.jpg 20220424_190707.jpg 20220424_175746.jpg 20220424_175809.jpg I reversed the positions of the rods. This took some of the angle away. I removed all of the slack at the four attatching points. I experimented with a few different weight springs. It all seemed much better exept a slight bind when the gas pedal was attetched. The last little bit was the rod to pedal. It was getting caught on the rubber under the pedal. It was off to the center of the car. I flexed it back to the center and its all good. Nice pedal feel. Idles at the correct rpm. Has full throttle now. I cant wait to drive it again. The exhaust from the manifolds to the tail pipes needs to be replaced. It finally rotted a few holes in it. Do you think gm will warranty it. It is factory with only 70,000 miles.
    Before and after pics.

24. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

These photos are from the same car which has been determined to be a "survivor". Or Bowtie car in the view of the NCRS. It is an original engine and components car
    E57S10xxxx _2.JPG
    E57S10xxxx_2a.JPG

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    65pacecar, catdad49, racer-x and 4 others like this.
  25. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

This car was a restoration by a meticulous owner with a very good car to start with. It is an original engine car.

E57S103xxx_1.JPG

26. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

I don't have info about this car immediately at hand.

E57S1032xx_3.jpg

65pacecar, catdad49, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  27. image.jpg You need this double ended piece

28. Thanks for the photos. Nice detail. It looks like the engine runs off the rear carb then opens the front carb on full throttle. The connections are all at the top hole. The return spring runs the rear carb.
    I do have it working but i can see i have a few incorrect linkage parts. Time to call zips. I want this right. Its very un nerving at a stop light not knowing if the car is going to spin the tires or leave normally when the light turns green.

65pacecar and Thor1 like this.
  29. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I just finished reading all 15 pages. One hell of a find and story. You have done an outstanding job of staying true to the previous owner and more importantly true to your vision for the car. I applaud the build. Safe, dependable, and fun just the way it is. Drive the wheels off it! Only thing that could be better is if it was mine to do the same. Lol

30. indyjps

indyjps

I'd walk by a row of restored cars to spend time looking this one over.
    Put some miles and have a blast, rinse off the dust when you get around to it.