Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects OEM Brown Metallic paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

It's been awhile since I've been here. Trying to pick a color for my 62 Plymouth wagon. I really love " Root Beer candy " like house of color. But do not want a custom paint color ( expensive/ hard to match/ expensive all ready said that).
    I think that I'm looking for an OEM basecoat/ clearcoat paint factory Brown metallic- Copperish brown metallic type of color. Anyone have any good ideas ? A Mopar color would be nice....but I would not toss out any color the looks good (even honda, toyota etc colors).
    I can't see spending tons of money since this will be a summer driver, anf not a show car. House of color " root beer candy is just not a good choice for me for several reasons.
    What the view of Kirker paints ? They have a basecoat/clearcoat called " Burbon Brown Pearl" looks like it may work. Just unsure if it's a good paint, don't want to do this twice.

2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went back and looked at several threads mentioning Kirker and most of the comments on Kirker were positive. Kirker also makes paint for Summit so Caramel Pearl might work for you.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  3. indyjps

indyjps

1979 corv*tte is a good one, chocolate / bronze brown metallic with out red tones.

Newer Ford Kodiak Brown Metallic is also nice, has a lot of light to dark color shift for a factory paint. You can probably go see it in person.

SS327 and kevinrevin like this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Yea you don’t see brown on much of anything anymore, Ford had some nice browns in the seventies you can always make them bace coat clear coat...

5. Honda has a real nice” Root beer metallic “

Id put up a picture but Honda’s are O/T

here’s Piston Honda from Mike Tyson’s punch out just for giggles n farts

30105C97-1C36-4452-A52C-FB47D88A3EC3.gif

OzMerc39, indyjps and 427 sleeper like this.
  6. TONS of great Browns out there! Look at Modern Toyotas. OEMs have been hot on browns for a while

Bob Lowry likes this.
  7. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Carmel Pearl ? does Summit have that ? ????

8. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

9. Budget36

Budget36

Even if it’s not on their site, get the Kirker p/n and plug it into Summits search and it may show up that way.

10. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

There was a real nice brown metallic color in the early 80's called Firemist Autumn brown. I do not remember if it was a Ford color or GM color.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  11. Summit Carmel Pearl on the roof over a Rootbeer Flake.
    Summit Cappuccino Mocha Pearl on the Body.

Easy to spray

Attached Files:

bobss396, Tman, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  12. 1pickup

1pickup

I'm a fan of the Toyota (new) truck color Sunset Bronze. It's a very nice brown that seems to color shift in the sun.

Tman likes this.
  13. firemangordy

firemangordy

1963 Chevy Cordova Brown.
    [​IMG]

OzMerc39, -Brent-, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take a look at 2014 Ford Kodiak brown. It seems like some of the 2008 Ford King Ranch trim trucks had a brown that looked good too. That was called dark copper Metallic.

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

69-76 Maverick/comet.

16. My DAD had a 75 LTD wagon that was dark GINGER GLOW METALLIC. That in my estimation was the nicest brown I had seen till I saw the brown on the new TUNDRAs. Mitch

Dean Lowe likes this.
  17. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Thanks Guys. Picking a paint color is the hardest part of building a car !!!!

18. 2manycars2littletime

2manycars2littletime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you like the color of the Chrysler Turbine cars?
    [​IMG]

OzMerc39 likes this.
  19. 327Eric

327Eric

My 77 Chevy truck was a nice metallic brown which was common Gm color for the time, and not a bad color, a pearl over the top would make it pop . the problem with brown cars, they are invisible. The only time you ever notice a brown car is if you are actually looking for one. Makes the perfect getaway car though

427 sleeper likes this.
  20. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Cadillac Firemist brown from the 70's had some gold in it.

427 sleeper likes this.
  21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Another vote for the Tundra brown. For Mopar colors check out Dodge Ram's over recent years as they have a few nice brown tones, 2014 Black Gold pearl, 2016 Luxury brown pearl and 20220Walnut brown metallic.

22. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Honda had a color called root beer. YR-569M

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. My 1940 Oz Dodge I painted an Oz 1969-72 Chrysler Mahogany Metallic in acrylic lacquer back in 1978, still wears that paint except for the roof which was repainted 12yrs ago in 2 pack by a mates son.........a few chips & scratches but it works for me...........andyd

Attached Files:

pvfjr likes this.
  24. Clydesdale

Clydesdale

my o/t bavarian daily driver is a nice metallic brown, I believe its called Marrakesh Brown.

25. Jones St.

Jones St.

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fair warning on these new colors, some are tricoat systems (think kandy) and you better wear a cast iron anal chasity belt when you go get a quote:eek: As to mail order paint, the money you save will be null n void if you run out part way through, have to stop, order more, start over. But hey it was cheap, right? Find a body shop supply where you can get back up material faster. Use their production body shop materials (I'm a fan of PPG Shop-Line). Also you can speak a salesman and even stroll through what are usually extensive color books. Good luck...

27. low down A

low down A

early 70's about 71 to 73 cadillac had the most beautiful dark rootbeer with small gold flake, i liked it so much that i painted two mopars with it back in the seventy's too this day i still want to paint another car with that brown it was a ppg base, clear coat,

28. My sister used to have a 62 Corvair and I think this was the color on it. It was a beautiful dark brown with gold metalflakes in it.