Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How To Un-Polish New Ansen Sprints?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gene's Hot Rod Parts, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Trying to get the right late 60's look for my 1960 Ranchero. I just bought 2 new 15x7 Ansen Sprints to go with my old 15x4 Sprints. The new ones are only available polished and it was hard to find a pair of 15x7's in a 5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern. I don't like the shiny polished look on the new wheels and would like them to better match the cast look of the old wheels. What's the best way to knock the shine off and get them to look like the fronts?

Attached Files:

Joe Travers and Deuces like this.
  2. Regular old EZ Off oven cleaner. You gotta be careful;l tho, it can tarnish them fast! Start with test test spot on the back. Also takes anodizing off

3. Deuces

Deuces

I'd glass bead all 4.....:cool:

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe run them for awhile . No washing or waxing . Eventually they will get the old look and you have fun driving all those miles. Everything eventually loses its newness. I wonder if fine still wool would soften the shine ? Or a least aggressive scotch bright pad .

Steve Ray likes this.

5. Jones St.

Jones St.

Briefly sand w/80 then follow w/180 grit sandpaper.

6. junkman8888

junkman8888

The "cast look" you're referring to is oxidation, which is only properly achieved though exposure to the elements over time. Any attempt to "age" the new wheels will end in disappointment. The truth is that's a nice car, it deserves nice shiny wheels.

deadbeat, loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. -Brent-

-Brent-

This may seem unorthodox, but I was a kid when I did this (similar wheels, OT vehicle). I jacked up the rear and put the vehicle in gear and let the wheel spin. Then I pretty much wet sanded them until it was "right".

It won't take much to knock the polish off and it will be uniform.

8. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd do exactly as Brent said to all 4 wheels. Then polish the ever-living shit out them to even out the finish. THEN, for the REALLY unorthodox part... hit them with a 50/50 mix of muriatic acid and water to dull things down to the look that you're after.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    -Brent- likes this.
  9. The original Sprints had a machined finish that over time from cleaning/polishing would come to resemble a 'sorta' polish, particularly if they weren't maintained well at some point then 'restored'. Short of having them lightly re-cut, sanding will get you the closest to the OEM look. It'll probably be easier to make the old ones look like the new ones rather than the other way around. Then let them 're-age' together...

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yeah, I think I'd just polish the rears to match the fronts.....

11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm curious, wonder what all 4 would look like if glassbeaded.

Deuces, sko_ford and bowie like this.
  12. I use scotchbrite to kill the shine but that may not be what you're after.

swade41 and MO_JUNK like this.
  13. The rest of you didn't even need to answer, I solved his issue in Post #2. Truth

Nominal and Chavezk21 like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Krylon gold because I didn't have the coin for Halibrands, this was about 1975.
    65 Chevelle drag car.jpg

15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would glassbead all 4 like deuces said. That way they will all age the same. Then Semichrome them to suit.

pirate likes this.
  16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You'll have to excuse the rest of us for speaking , especially since you'd already spoke :rolleyes:
    Remember guys , nobody needs to speak after Tman gives his opinion !

jaw22w, swade41, j hansen and 7 others like this.
  17. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a drag car I built in the '90's, I used Softscrub and a soft wheel brush on my Drag Stars. They kinda looked like Motorwheel Flys from across the pits when I was done. And easy to keep up. Gene.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    scotty t and Tman like this.
  18. Of course! ;)

Deuces, Spoggie and 2deuces64 like this.
  19. 6inarow

6inarow

Except that it isnt completely accurate. The active ingredient in EZ OFF is more than likely Sodium Hydroxide (more commonly referred to as caustic soda). You need to find out what the wheels are made of. If there is much aluminum you might reconsider this because this stuff will Pit and discolor aluminum. If that ist bad enough it will wreck eyes, lungs, skin...... Consider other posts as Truth.

rod1 likes this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

I'd use Simple Green on them, then let the water sit on them after you rinse. I won't be as harsh as the EZ Off, but will remove some shine. At least it has on polished aluminum on my flathead.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  21. Just like EZ Off, Simple Green can really fuck up aluminum. That is why I mentioned trying a spot test. About 20 Years ago the Army Aviation put out a memo to all ground crews to STOP using Simple Green on the Blackhawks and other choppers. If not careful it can eat the aluminum causing serious damage!

22. 327Eric

327Eric

IMG_20210314_205352.jpg IMG_20210314_205321.jpg They were polished when new, at least these ones were, still in the original box from 1968

swade41, sko_ford and 6inarow like this.
  23. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Do the new ones have a clear coat or anodized finish, or are they just raw aluminum? That will make a big difference in what you do.

indyjps and Tman like this.
  24. TCTND

TCTND

I think you'll be sorry if you glassbead them; there's no going back and it won't look machined. I'd spin them and hit them with Scotchbrite. Be very careful if you do that.

-Brent- and 6inarow like this.
  25. Mimilan

Mimilan

A dry powder Fire Extinguisher will do it.

Fogger and 6inarow like this.
  26. I'm not gettin' involved. Just gonna perv on that outstanding Chrisman Funny and deuce chassis.

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

I love the muriatic idea.

If you have any lung issues, just go at it mechanically and skip chemicals. It's not hard to get the shine knocked off, even if they were cleared.

427 sleeper likes this.
  28. junkman8888

junkman8888

Having made this mistake myself, I would never recommend using a caustic product like "Ez-Off" to clean or "age" aluminum wheels because it is impossible to apply evenly everywhere, it has a tendency to "foam up"and then slide off, and everywhere the chemical collects it will eat into the base metal leaving "blotchy" areas behind.

Another possibility is to have all the wheels shot-blasted then powdercoated in titanium, when they're done they almost look like magnesium.

Algoma56 likes this.
  29. Precisely why I said run a test. But it works well IF you know what you are doing.

30. Check with a local big rig shop or detailer. In the ready-mix concrete industry they use a cleaner to get the wheels and fuel tanks cleaned from all the concrete splatter... it's mildly acidic and leaves a soft flat tone. Then adjust to what you want with a mild Scotchbrite.