Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Build: Initial Mockup Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bored&Stroked, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Its 2018 now. Any noise yet? We are still waiting

Deuces likes this.
  2. Well - as I write this, I'm heavily into designing a completely new fuel and engine management system for the beast. I decided that I NEVER wanted fucking carbs (even though I bought all that crap) and I'm not even going to start the engine on them.

So, I've jumped off the fricking carb diving board and am 100% headed down the blown EFI with an injector hat conversion route. I have three different MFI injector hats (all from the 60's) and the one I'm going to use is this really rare Crower 8 port. The cool thing about it is that it has 2 3/8 butterflies - two rows of them. So, I can first run it with just one side open and then on the dyno, see if more air can actually be used (my guess in 'No'). Having the smaller butterflies solves the "big gulp of air problem" that most injector hats have on the street with EFI.

I'm designing the whole system myself - making some real custom components (to hide as much of the EFI nonsense as possible and to maintain the vintage top-fuel engine look. I'm going to be documenting ALL the gory details of the design, the prototype work and final components as well as the dyno work. It will have dual tunes --> one for blown gas and the other blown E85. You can 'switch between tunes' with just a switch/key on the dash.

You can't imagine the PILE of EFI shit I have on my counter today . 2018-01-27 14.39.47.jpg 2018-01-27 14.39.06.jpg 2018-01-27 14.35.37.jpg 2017-12-07 23.15.49.jpg . . looks like I'm building a fricking space ship! The real task will be all the ingenuity I will apply to hide the crap out of the stuff - yet make it accessible for repair, tuning, etc.. All the work it will take to make custom harnesses, hide things, bury things down inside the frame (behind the firewall), etc. . .

It will be a real test of my skills and that of Flop (he and I can't wait to get the metal work started - but the engine comes first).

Anyway - here are the two main components . . . this should be fun!

Attached Files:

Deuces, slayer, Just Gary and 4 others like this.
  3. Note: The goal is to have all of this done, the engine back together and be on the DYNO by about May - of THIS year! LOL

Deuces, Dog_Patch and Flop like this.
  4. I was thinking - awe shit, there goes another 10 years

5. Not this time - this is the only car project on the list right now . . . and Flop is waiting on me! I'm Jonesing to hear this motor fire and see what HP it makes - that is a great motivator! That - and along with the thousands of damn dollars spent on the EFI stuff . . . makes me want to get it running soon! I realize that the best way to motivate me is to get the engine dynoed - because then I want to drive the sucker! :)

Deuces, INVISIBLEKID and Flop like this.
  6. Flop

Flop

I can’t wait to see what kinda power that thing put out !!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Flop

Flop

May huh ?! You forgot what’s in April lol .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Nope - that is WAY more important than engines! LOL

Flop likes this.
  9. Did some calculations on CFM - looks like running just one side of the injector should equal about 2050 to 2200 CFM at 1.5HG. Given this, can't imagine that I'll need both sides of the Crower injector working. BUT, blowers make boost when you give them air - but I'm limited on boost anyway (no intercooler), so I doubt I could use the air anyway and the rotors are not stripped.

Flop likes this.
  10. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

You should be talking to brian bass he just did a efi conversion on the monkey pecker!

11. 392

Straight up bitchin.

12. Motor_Psycho

Motor_Psycho

How did this turn out? Sounded like s bitchin project

milwscruffy likes this.
  13. Hendee

Hendee

How about another bump on this one. Really interested in hearing how this has turned out, or where you’ve gotten to.

14. I second the bump

15. KennyG392

KennyG392

16. KennyG392

KennyG392

Hi. I’m based in Scotland U.K. and am involved in a very similar build with an early 392 A1 block, stroked 392 crank to 4.050”, Callies 6.8”rods, Arias 4.030” pistons, Donovan 417 heads, Ed Pink Mag 8-71, running good gas for street/ strip in steel 42 Wylis. I’d be interested in hooking up with you to share your trials and tribulations you encountered with your build?
    I’m new to this site but of an age that will see me out for this project.
    Cheers! KennyG

Attached Files:

17. Just in case you don't know - those are not Donovan 417 heads - or do you have a completely other set and the rockers to go with them? I'll be happy to connect - drop me a PM. Truth be told, I've been involved in so many other projects that my engine is still on the stand. I hope to FINALLY get back to it by the end of this month. Have to complete another car first.

SS327, Deuces, Desoto291Hemi and 2 others like this.
  18. Kenny G ,
    Good looking mock up ,, should turn out great eventually.
    Just make sure you use the correct pulley on top,,,,

Tommy

19. KennyG392

KennyG392

20. KennyG392

KennyG392

Thanks for coming back to me. That pic was taken years ago mocked up with a pair of iron 392 heads. I'm not good at this internet stuff and you'll need to educate me on how to send a PM? o_O In the meantime here's some stuff I've been involved with. Cheers!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.