Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Meet Flo !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Freddie, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Well when you find the part # you let me know so I can return them

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Hi Everyone ,

So here are today's tools , expensive and delicate these are full carbide drill bits I'm going to run them in the crystallized bolts and try to make it last by treating it VERY carefully , slowly , methodically and hopefully get success out of these three . The tap is $35 and one drill bit is $32 and never got the price on the other one told Nate's sales guy I didn't have enough all I had was $60 and so they were kind enough to sell them to me for $60 and have treated me with like kindness in previous purchases so all hail Nate's Tools in Torrance ! Been great supporters and source for Freddie and Flo . So I took the 7/16 -14 tap dry twisting lightly by three fingers into those two head bolt holes that I ran the 20 thread tap into the other day and everything is fine got good solid threads and then ran a head bolt on each of them and bolt is proper with a minimum jiggle to it just like the others . I didn't say it the other day but I was counting on the 14 thread tap to clear up my mistake and it did . See a 20 thread pitch has a shorter pitch height than a 14 does and to prep a joke for a 14 takes a bigger drill bit than a hole for a 20 thread tap and this was Henry's Engineering and thinking that the more pitch the more thread meat the stronger especially when heated and this area if the engine gets real hot . Yes there is the argument that when an object is heated the holes get smaller and that occurs also so with a little of my diesel mechanic friends sealant that he uses on bus engines everyday Freddie and his two holes will be just fine .
    So its Flo's turn now and here are the lovely tools I will start surgery with today . Hope I don't shatter these lovely little dolls . I be back in a awhile let you know how it went ...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

... Oh here is photo for the post above

Attached Files:

4. Budget36

Budget36

So just to understand, you ran a fine thread through a coarse thread hole, then ran the coarse thread tap back through the fine thread?
    I’d be thinking it’s time for an insert on those two holes. This might require going over size, tapping for the insert, but would ensure proper thread engagement.
    I think you should feel no “wiggle” at all. I’m just concerned you may have removed and or moved too much material to seal properly, and maybe not withstand proper torque on a head bolt.
    Maybe try it (torque sometime down to it on those two holes) before taking it into the shop.

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  5. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Hi Budget36 ,
    Yes I still need to torque test it and in running a head bolt through it and other holes for comparison it feels same and with same jiggle . The integrity is there so no hangups or loose areas the threads are grabbing the bolt evenly and smoothly as I hand twist the bolts in There is a sealant and used religiously by a diesel engine machanic I know I don't have a tube right now but I've used it on older aluminum engines which had a seeping head bolt problem and works great . So we see . I think it will be ok but torquing will tell with new bolts and the sealant it will be ok . Believe me Freddie is going to be run cross country and may I add flat out for a time in the upper room range so I'm doing this right and inserts can crumble and racers I know change them out and I'm betting on my experience and newer technology we going to be fine if it takes a torque test well if it doesn't take it well and solid then yes we will move over to inserts . Thank you Budget36 it is a concern and important one .

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  6. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

So not much today progress it took an hour to safely drill through the bolt everything done at low rpms with oil as far as drilling goes . I did get as far as STARTING to mushroom the bolt and cleaned up more threads and that's a high carbon and coated tap I'm using and is to spec and $35 just for the tap bit and whoever thinks you need an undersize tap should try this type of tap a set of them only runs you the price of a rebuild lol thing is I don't scar any part of the thread with this hot little number . I did a stint at Edelbrock under Vic Jr as a machinist and screw machine operator so I have some of this in me and this ain't no Craftsman tap or Century tap . Its real quality Nate says top quality and it sure is giving me top quality results and very happy so far

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

... oh

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

It was mentioned before about Ford threads and how the tolerances are, I recall in an machine shop class about different ones. Anyways, when I have an engine apart I use thread chasers, they follow and clean the threads but won’t cut new ones.
    And yes I’m tight, I have a few thread files and nut chasers as well, I hate tossing a bolt ;)

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  9. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

This is a joke I'm worried about the one we did last year. Threads are there but no ridge top 9n thread and that after tapping with my mil spec tap . There other two we did last year turned out good they are in the secondd picture Yes now its time to scratch my nails on the chalkboard for you ! Hahaha I'm using a full size mil spec tap to clean threads with lol lol . Doing just ffinnee and cleaner than anything in the space program maybe I fly Freddie to Mars get some free gas from the Govt . So its patience with two more holes you know this just like fishing . Enjoy your Sunday , stay away from chalkboards ( what memories ) and keep your foot in it .By the way none of these is gonna leak ever .

Attached Files:

10. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Yes I'd love to and have before in the picture those cases are all Ford factory hardware from 1920s to 1968 . Got alotbof factory bumper bolts gonna get replated . These headbolts were screeching and the one it the second picture is one of Flo's better ones I'm using just to check smoothness . Its alot of reason why they jiggle . Mr George Shaw taught me in Auto Shop how to save threads like you do and F1 mechanics do same in the pits . Handy art love it . Yes Me Shaw had a nice handful of our cars

Attached Files:

11. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

12. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

... ok

Attached Files:

13. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Ok beanspiller here is one sealant available welcome to new technology !

Attached Files:

14. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Hi Everyone
    So I got out the Welding equip today and started the process of removing the broken screw extractor from Flo . I built up an even surface area and that also made for a solid transfer of .035 wire into the extractor material . So I did ' The Mart ' with a metal strap and and it didn't stick cause I'm chicken yes concerned about her and its my first one so I'm going to build up a larger head like you see in the picture and take my time with it .
    Also good news I spoke with the machinist ( forgot to ask permission for saying who he is ) and we are going to get Freddie to him for a visual inspection . We talked of Freddie's condition and his fear is if I beat on the engine turning it into scrap so he was intrigued and said for me to bring Freddie in but to call first so going to coordinate a ride for Freddie to the machinist/builder sometimes next week or week after . That will be nice . So everyone have a good day and keep your foot in it !

Attached Files:

15. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Off to the builder for evaluation !
    Be back later today !

Attached Files:

16. Budget36

Budget36

Is your weld into the stud/bolt? I mean is the weld and bolt “as one”?

Flathead Freddie likes this.
  17. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Have fun Freddie !

Attached Files:

18. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

This one is a screw extractor so the weldment does have good penetration but haven't completed welding the .100" strap to the extractor yet . That is next step and will continue tomorrow .
    Thank you for asking its important .

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Now this looks like fun.I`ll saddle ,up and go along for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

20. Looks like EDM time

21. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Hi Everyone ,

Thank you and yes its been a real ride since last May when we started with Freddie and Flo and have been busy keeping things afloat and give Dick of Engine Machine Services a chance for a fair and thorough diagnosis and estimate with Freddie . To prep Freddie for an excellent assembly is going to require more prepping.as the block is infected with deep rust deposits so will require 4 sleeves one of those to cover up the sawsall notch at bottom of cylinder and also require 4 seats and more cleaning so Freddie is going under the bench and with Freddie's rust condition have decided to teardown Flo and clean up that block and go with the Mercury crank so Flo's cylinders make Freddie's look like the nightmares they are and I will start by setting up today for Flo's disassembly .
    Remember Flatheads don't die they just need more work done to them than they did 40 years ago and so this is the new Science of Flatheads . There are plenty to be picked but prepping processes are ramped up and yes more cost involved but this is the restoration processes of today . Yes its a new frontier and in another 50 years we will have block patch in an aerosol can lol . Reality starts with imagination and doing it and that's what's getting done here
    Everyone have a nice day and keep your foot in it ! Flo is seeing action

22. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Yes I'm going to make a ring from it for index finger so when I gawk at some monster work vI see mine

23. These old Flatheads can be bored a fair amount,,,,,,,are the cylinders that pitted ?
    Also,,,,,if the notches are at the bottom of the bore,,,,,,they will be okay .
    Nothing rides at the bottom ,,,,except the skirt .
    The inside of the block was pretty funky with rust,,,,,,but didn’t seem unusable .

Tommy

24. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Hi Tommy ,
    Yes indeed is a usable block , just needs more care like to derust Freddie I am compromising other factors like threads throughout the block and front face and water jackets and Dick and I are considering it all . We are restoring metal here and you and I know this has been and we knew from start that Freddie is a metallurgical save and a disassembly . Freddie has come a long way and we are not quite there yet for an assembly with rotating assembly . Flo's integrity is alot more intact and so my planning had shifted to Flo now as that engine done right should be disassembled and gone thru and I now feel better with a highway hotrod build with a 390 or 450 4bbl with Flo than with Freddie and that will allow me to take the time Freddie needs and build him stock and keep the hotrod project going with Flo .
    So Freddie is still in ICU and not going out in the garden . Erika says that would be awful staring at Freddie in the garden with tomatoes growing out of him . So it is I will be driving Flo in the Tudor Sedan project and Erika will have Freddie as stock in a Speedster .
    Yes what you say is agreeable to me Freddie is getting oil not dirt have a good one and Thanks

25. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Yes got the extractor out here is a picture of it I just built it up with .035 FCAW like I was bridging . So it'll make for a nice ring

26. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Ok here's the picture

Attached Files:

27. Budget36

Budget36

Like Tommy mentioned about bore v sleeve. Sleeves will cost more than just boring. After the shop says “needs to go .080 or sleeve” I’d go to the closest available piston at .080.
    Unless you want to save money on pistons and reuse what you have? Many can be used again, many can’t. I guess it depends on what you want out of the engine when done, and how bulky the wallet is;)

28. Budget36

Budget36

You must have little fingers;)

29. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Thought I'd set in on a piston rings lol

30. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

So far its just been a phone conversation so when I get to the builder next week I can point out things and seems he is not willing to use nodular machinable rod .
    My Uncle Dick Jones used it all the time so perhaps another engine man is necessary I will see next week . Have a nice evening Budget36