Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects K-88 Dragster / 6 Cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Countn'Carbs, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I also enlisted the help of a very talented individual named Thomas owner of Lead Edge Machine & Design https://www.leadingedgemad.com/ to help design and machine an exhaust flange for this thing. I think he did a great job on it. The first one I was struggling with maintaining the same angles on the tubes. and Thomas took care of all of that.
    With the magneto ending up between header pipes 3&4, it took me a bit but I ended up modifying tube number 3 in hopes of it not getting the mag cap too hot. I think it will be okay but time will tell.
    1.jpg Exhaust.jpg
    FE1.jpg
    FE.jpg

2. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

About that time my last batch of chrome showed back up. It was the coupler cover, brake handle and some other odds and ends. "If it Don't Go, Chrome It!!"
    Coupler Cover.jpg
    Coupler Cover1.jpg

3. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Decided to push it outside to get the full effect.
    127781560_2871580303127203_2668074407029395338_n.jpg 127182798_2871580259793874_7110664508620879629_n.jpg
    127887673_2871580286460538_159695353535120326_n (1).jpg
    rear.jpg

4. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOLY MOLEY! !!!!!!!

5. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

All I can find is the “like” button, where’s the damn “love” button.

Those last 4 glamour shots are amazing and your car is looking stunning. Nice work.

Cliff Ramsdell

6. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I have an original K-88 which I purchased in 1965 (I think). 120" WB with 296 Cu in flathead. Last raced in 1968 but still have it. Anglia spindles with original Anglia wheels on professionally built front axel. Built body using directions in Hot Rod. What WB is your car ?

Cliff Ramsdell and loudbang like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dave, good to se it outside, great looking car, amazing workmanship throughout !

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  8. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

So this is what the BL420 is going to go on? Very cool sir, very cool. :cool:

Cheers,
    Harv

Countn'Carbs and loudbang like this.
  9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Glad you post some new stuff! I had forgotten about your thread, sure does look Good.

loudbang and Countn'Carbs like this.
  10. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Oh man really??!! If you have any pictures of it, we'd love to see it or heck share some stories with us!! Very Cool!! The wheel base on my car is 107" and if you get a chance to share some pictures/stories that would be awesome!!

loudbang likes this.
  11. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Thank You Marty. Certainly not to your level of workmanship but I'm trying. Gotta push them outside once in a while to see what you have. The front end is a bit higher than I expected but I think it's more about me raising the rearend in the car. I had to go up and back in the chassis with the rearend in order to use the mid-plate as a firewall and to have room for the shorty glide and coupler. Just hope the car doesn't want to come up on launch too much.

winduptoy and loudbang like this.
  12. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

That's it Harv and Thank You for your help with that. This pump that I found is set up for CW rotation so it worked out well being on the same side as the injection plus to get away from the exhaust.

13. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Thanks Cliff - I appreciate the kind words and your interest. Hoping to get this thing to paint by early May if the painters schedule holds.

14. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Hell I forgot about it too!! But decided to give it some updates in the event folks might still have an interest. Thanks for following along!!

15. 6inarow

6inarow

I am an inliner so I am always looking for vintage stuff, but damn, how do you find this crap??

16. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Yeah I hear ya and guess that's why it takes me so dang long just to make a dang dragster come together.

17. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

When it is done you and Jay should bring it to Bowling Green for the reunion,
    I have a spare room

18. Just read the whole thread. VERY cool car!

19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I Love this car! Please change the pulley on the fuel pump. Those cheap cast sheaves are failure prone and looks very out of place.

winduptoy and Countn'Carbs like this.
  20. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

21. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I like that idea a lot!! Jay has told me that Bowling Green is over the top and a "must attend" event.

WiredSpider likes this.
  22. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

winduptoy and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Are you going to have it rolling so you can go up to Julesberg drag race?

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  24. Countn'Carbs likes this.
  25. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I'd like to think so but not sure yet...it scheduled to go to paint in early May so we'll see.

26. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

It's a pull with a '50 Chevy master cylinder.

27. Cool, pics make it look weird and I could not see why you would want push!?

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  28. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I ran a V-belt injection pump on the street for years.

Couple of comments . . . When I got my pump, the instructions said it would turn in either direction. That was true. But it would pump in only one direction. We found this out after wearing the battery down trying to start it, then pushing it up and down squirting gas over the windshield to no avail. But if you rotate the pump innards (somehow? -- been a long time ago) it will pump in the direction wanted. For aesthetic purposes, you might consider going to a smaller pair of pulleys.

The pump's belt also worked as a fail safe device for me. When street racing my buddy's 427 Chevelle, I pulled out ahead going thru two gears in my stick Hydro. Realizing he'd be coming by shortly, I got off the gas and threw it into neutral not knowing I'd locked the throttle in full position. The motor revved and threw off the generator belt which took the fuel pump belt with it. Pulled up, put them back on and went about our business declaring I'd won. Your results may vary.

Injectors.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    Hollywood-East likes this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dave, I want to see a 2 out of 3 match race with Too Tall Ganahl ! It would be quite a sight and sound, with two, "period perfect" Jimmys goin at it !

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It has been cool to see this come together. Very nice work!!

Countn'Carbs likes this.