Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Reverb? Anyone recall?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cosmo49, Mar 7, 2022.

1. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hah, Tommy James and the Shondels.

gnichols and olscrounger like this.
  2. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I think I bought mine at Western Auto(69-70).

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I bought one in '67 after a kid [Hah, I was a kid too!] at work said the girls just loved them. First girl I tried to impress told me to shut that fucking thing in the back off. :( Bout the worst money I ever spent.

lothiandon1940 and Blues4U like this.
  4. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Factory reverb in my '64 2+2.

IMG_8587.JPG

5. I have a early/mid 60's Motorola Vibrasonic unit my uncle gave me, it's a single knob unit.

Mine looks similar
    [​IMG]

bchctybob, partssaloon and Cosmo49 like this.
  6. Check this out:

upspirate likes this.
  7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I blow my harp thru a Princeton reverb…..

williebill, dan c, gnichols and 2 others like this.
  8. primed34

primed34

When I got my '55 Chevrolet in 1970 it had reverb in the trunk. Took it out when I put a 8 track in the car. Still got the car and the reverb.

lothiandon1940 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  9. Classical Gas on a Reverb... Classic!

alanp561, egads, Cosmo49 and 2 others like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I read though this on my phone while waiting for my wife to get out of the beauty shop this afternoon an it brought back a memory of my dad and the 62 Pontiac Catalina he bought while I was in the Army. He totaled it 4 days after I got back from Nam and almost totaled himself. One of the pieces on that little Catalina 4 door was the reverb that was in it. there was a box for the reverb back under the package tray and his tool box that he had carried in every car he ever owned until then smashed the reverb. He had the reverb in the trunk of the 68 Olds Delta 88 that he bought from the same salesman we got my 69 Cutlass through at a serous discount and that beat up tool box rode in the trunk of it.
    Back in 1963 when I first bought my 51 Merc I though I was king of the hill because I had wired in a fader switch for the rear speaker and put a cheap 6x9 in the package tray and could adjust/fade the sound front to rear.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

I bought one at a yard sale for a home stereo back in the 70’s. I thought it would do the speaker to speaker thing, but it just turned stereo into mono. Lol. The more I turned the dial the more irritating it was.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Like I said, it's really not a useful audio enhancement. :D :D

13. A little { Story } I had one in my O.T. Vette in high school in 1970. I also had an 8 track with two large home type speakers with about 20 feet of speaker wire for each. It was a big hit at pep rallies, and foot ball games. But the school principal called me to his office one morning. He told me the only way I could play my music was to park on the visitors side of the field. lol The reverb would really echo if turned all the way up. But I thought it sounded pretty cool. Yeah it made every song sound like Crimson and Clover. lol

14. topher5150

topher5150

Twin Reverb
    With all the songs in the 60s full of reverb adding more would really sound werid.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  15. I recall being in some car with factory reverb. It was cool but don't recall what car it was. The best sounding audio I ever heard in a car was a factory quadraphonic system I once had in an off topic Tbird. Remember those?

16. aircoup

aircoup

yep my 65 mustang had one and inna godda davida sounded reallly cool!!

17. And for that special audio experience, try running over a railroad track with the reverb on. If you had one, you know what I’m talking about.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Twin", is referring to the fact, that there are two speakers not just one !

19. modagger

modagger

And the choir sang a resounding Amen!

20. loudbang

loudbang

While in USMC avonics school one or first class projects assigned to us students was building a reverb unit using JUST wire. All it is is one circuit has normal length wire and the other circuit was a SPOOL of wire. Worked great. That is all it is one circuit has more resistance that the other so the sound comes out at different times. :)

dan c, williebill, MRW1994 and 6 others like this.
  21. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Had 1 in my 65 Chevelle ss I still have it in a box somewhere in my trailer stored out back need to dig around a little

partssaloon and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Geno1949

Geno1949

Back in 1960 a friend bought a California tail dragger (48 chev) and it had a reverb installed. Just abouyt the koolist damned thing I had ever heard.

23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

No! No it didn't. Stop saying that. Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells is known for the "TREMELO" effect on the guitar. Tremelo is NOT the same thing as Reverb, two very different effects. Reverb is a time based effect, part of the signal, the "wet" part, is delayed a slight amount and added back in to the the dry signal. The difference in timing between the wet and the dry creates that effect. Tremelo is a repetitive change in the amplitude (volume) of the signal, it gets quieter and louder repeatedly.

Tremelo:

Reverb:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    dan c, williebill, Algoma56 and 6 others like this.
  24. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i worked in the record industry in 1974 and quadriphonic was the big deal. not many records sounded that great on it, though; kinda like when mono records were "rechanneled" for stereo...

25. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My aunt had a '64 Galaxy 500. It had one factory. It sounded really cool. But the neatest thing was, when you shut it off. It sounded like springs popping. Gene.

lothiandon1940 and alanp561 like this.
  26. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Thanks for clearing up the difference...
    either way I'd rather listen to Dick Dale and the Deltones.

27. Johnny99

Johnny99

Nephew's 65 Polara hardtop had AM radio with factory reverb. If you grew up in the Seattle area in the 60's/70's you will certainly remember the "KJR Seattle channel 95" radio jingle. All windows down on a nice summer evening AM cranked to distortion levels reverb ON. Fun times. Man, that old boat with a 413 would flat roll on the freeway!

lothiandon1940 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  28. Haha yeah! Old guitar amps do that when equipped with spring reverb if you bump into it

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I remember reverbs very well. Jump the railroad tracks......BoieeEEEeeng!

30. bchctybob

bchctybob

I put one in my ‘60 Pontiac way back then. My car had a three speaker system, one 6” in each door and a 6x9 in the package shelf and the reverb underneath. The single knob pulled out to turn on the reverb and rotated to increase or decrease the reverb effect. With just a touch of reverb added, it sounded pretty good for a factory radio.

lothiandon1940, Cosmo49 and loudbang like this.