Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stolen ‘34 coupe Iowa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32fenderless, Feb 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Packrat

Packrat

That's a really cool looking coupe! Hope they catch em!

2. Packrat

Packrat

My neighbor would have chased them down! He saw someone nosing around a couple of years ago and chased them several miles before losing them in traffic. Good neighbor to have, he always has his pistol with him.

hotrodjack33 and WalkerMD like this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Packrat, You sure are fortunate to have such a great neighbor who keeps thier eyes open. Too many folks "now a days" don't even know their neighbors.

4. patterg2003

patterg2003

The thing is when people show up and look like they are doing their business most people leave it alone. That probably is the case with the missing coupe. It doesn't hurt to ask and take a plate number. My neighbor was going on holidays and asked me to keep an eye on his place, he wasn't moving and to call the police if anyone was over there. The neighbor's friend went on holidays & had a moving truck backed up to the front door then put a ramp on the steps. The "movers" took all the furniture, electronics and valuables. No one questioned the move and his friend lost everything. Years later my youngest son who had been away for awhile came home when we were away. My neighbor came over and asked him who he was & what was he doing at the house.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

If it was in a barn, out of sight, the thief knew firsthand or secondhand that the car was there (unless he had x-ray eyes and could see through walls). Most likely an acquaintance or a friend of an acquaintance.

WalkerMD, clem, Carter and 3 others like this.
  6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

There is nothing worse than a thief. I hope they find the car and the scum bags that took it.

ironandsteele.com​

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Seems if they showed up with a truck and trailer, they knew it was there! You would think it would show up somewhere there's a lot of old car guys around. Everyone just keep their eyes open!! Lippy

clem, uncleandy 65 and Tman like this.
  8. I had the same thing happen at a family members old farm in MN. Chrysler was stored in the old barn, I was given the Hemi. Went to check it out and the whole car had been lifted. Had a pal in the Western burbs of Mpls also lose a Hemi around the same time. Thieves showed up, pulled the engine out an old dumptruck and left.

9. Packrat

Packrat

Yes, we are very fortunate to have such a good neighbor. He's a farmer, when he goes on vacation we always keep an eye on things for him.

WalkerMD and gary macdonald like this.
  10. oldolds

oldolds

It has become a thing with some young people to explore nature. Part of that is exploring "abandoned" buildings. You Tube is full of videos of it. They do not realize that the property belongs to somebody. All that needs to happen is one of those "innocent" expolorers go to a bar afterwards. They tell their buddy about what they found. The thief across the bar hears the conversation. The car is gone, with no apparent connection to the person that found the car.]
    I have had it happen to me.
    My pop used to give strangers tours of our cars in the barns. I was out at a bar 30 miles away from his place. A guy next to me sees my hot rod shirt and starts telling me about all these old cars he just looked at. It really surprised him when I told him where he saw them at and that we had loaded shot guns in the house.

iwanaflattie, Tman and arkiehotrods like this.
  11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My dad had a hard and fast rule: Never tell anyone, not even relatives, what you had. It's none of their business and there is no telling how information could be spread in a casual conversation with someone else. I used to call him paranoid. 35 years since he's been gone and now I call him smart.

12. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I would think that the state would have a Excel file on all vehicles by plate number, color, VIN number. I would start a search of the type of truck and color of truck (since you know that) to give you a clue. You might have to perform this task with several boarding states. I know that New Hampshire has such a file and a good cop can pull data from it, can't change anything but can do a search. What had the flat tire the car trailer or the coupe (not that it makes any difference now)? I would store my car(s) in my garage at my house for many years, out in the middle of no-where while I was serving time for Uncle Sam, and I thank God nothing was ever taken (well again, maybe my stuff is not worth taking). Good luck.

13. low down A

low down A

winterset is just a little south of me and i would bet it wasn't no stranger unless it was some hunters winterset area is prime pheasant hunting and they come from all over the midwest to hunt

14. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Happy ending -car has been found.
    E0454EDA-CC71-4B45-A8AC-F3C13D87B5D5.png 2F80B9F5-C0B4-47E9-AC47-C5130D89DF45.png

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2022
  15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

47 yr old dumb criminal. Lives on "Victory Lane" in Saint Charles. Glad perp arrested, car recovered.

rbrewer, Packrat, VANDENPLAS and 6 others like this.
  16. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Happy Ending is always nice

BJR, hotrodjack33 and cfmvw like this.
  17. oldolds

oldolds

They were lucky. Now they need to figure out secure storage for the car. There will be lots of interest in it now that everyone knows about it!

18. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I suggested more secure storage and offered to help getting it to a running driving car.

19. I wonder how much of the other stuff piled up is stolen also. HRP

[​IMG]

R A Wrench, rbrewer, Packrat and 8 others like this.
  20. Hooray! May the scumbag rot in prison for a few years or more. It's long past time that people start serving some long and hard time for their crimes. These idiots need to realize there's a big price to pay for ripping other people off. Nowadays there are cameras everywhere, so there is a good chance they'll get caught sooner or later and this is good way to educate them with a stiff sentence.

21. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I love happy endings, at my age, a recovered hotrod will do.

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

With search warrants in hand, I am sure the Sheriff's Dept will find out and no doubt, there is plenty of stolen property at the site.

HOTRODPRIMER, Packrat and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In reference to the number of recently returned vehicles ('40 Ford pickup in the Chattanooga area and the just recovered coupe in Iowa ) because of social media and a comment made not too long ago on the HAMB; It looks like the score is Social Media 2, Assholes 0 ;)

catdad49, VANDENPLAS and hotrodjack33 like this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool that it was recovered and doesn't seem to be damaged. I'd imagine that the guy will have a big story about how he "found it abandoned" just as he will probably have to do some explaining about a lot of other stuff sitting there.

25. adam401

adam401

Man Im glad that worked out. Does the family want to sell the car?

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

St Charles. Small town. Tight knit community. Stupid criminal from the same town steals a car that stands out like a sore thumb. In broad daylight on a Saturday. Why wouldn`t he be caught. I was working at a Hot rod shop for a day 30 Miles from Winterset this past Wednesday. How`s the CSI team doing looking at video surveillance from a 10-county area. More than likely it was found less than 13 miles from the so-called abandoned property. It was more than likely a property with no house. Or a non-lived-in house. Theft is a theft, no matter where it happens.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    Packrat and WalkerMD like this.
  27. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes people can be too nice. A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Speedway 27 T body/frame/engine etc from an individual. He had purchased it for his grandkids to build in 1995. After I bought and paid for the car we loaded it and he then said I better show you the cars. He had a large building with 10-20 (I didn't count) really nice cars from a T bucket, 32 Ford, pro street vette, 55 Chevy etc, all very nice. He had more cars in another building that he was working on. I would have liked to take pictures of all of the cars but I only took one picture of a car that my wife really likes (and I asked him for permission). I felt honored that he showed me (and my friend that came along for the ride) what he had, he was proud of his accomplishments, rightfully so, but I guess I am too paranoid. One of the nicest guys I'd met in a long time. Now there is a roadster project where the Studebaker used to sit in my avatar:)

catdad49 and WalkerMD like this.
  28. He literally lived 12 miles from where he stole it. How could he not get caught? He clearly is a slow learner. This is from the Creston News Advertiser seven months ago.

Police Log
    July 14, 2021 at 12:42 pm CDT
    Brandon Scott Stanton, 46, 2512 Victory Lane, Saint Charles, was charged 5:18 p.m. Tuesday with driving while barred in the 300 block of N. Elm St.
    Stanton was being held in the Union County Jail on $2,000 bond.

Let's GO TO JAIL Brandon! AGAIN!

[​IMG]
    Another mug shot with a near tears long face.

Packrat, VANDENPLAS and WalkerMD like this.
  29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Man I'm sure glad to hear this. Makes me think there is still hope for us as a society. :)

Max Gearhead and NoRust like this.
  30. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.