Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dynomat install temperature

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Will it stick to 50 degree sheetmetal ?

Still pretty cold here and I usually work in 50-55 Temps in the garage.

Screenshot_20220220-220753_Google.jpg

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

That stuff is probably sticky enough but getting it rolled out might not be fun. I would put the mat in the house and keep it at 70 degrees until just before using it.

3. indyjps

indyjps

It's easier to work with in the summer. If youre just doing floors it shouldn't be an issue. Vertical surfaces - a heat gun wouldn't hurt.
    See if changing the temp from 50 to 70 makes it more flexible.

swade41 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. I just finished doing the coupe with KilMat, quite similar. I used a heat gun and warmed the sheet metal panel first to a luke warm feel then ran the heat gun over the KM warming it to the touch. Peel the back off and stuck it in place, rolled it out and then hit it with a pass of the heat gun and one more roll out. Doesn't take a great deal of time and the KM is firmly in place.
    int killmat.jpg

5. Budget36

Budget36

Not to sound like Mr. Obvious, but did it come with install instructions? Otherwise have you looked their website?

stanlow69, clem, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  6. No, not at all, I post here before doing my own research just to get these kind of obvious comments, Mr. Obvious

7. I do like the heat gun idea, sometimes I forget I own them, I still use a Bic lighter to heat shrink wires.

RMR&C and loudbang like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"No, not at all, I post here before doing my own research just to get these kind of obvious comments, Mr. Obvious"

LOLUIPM

Excuse me, Laughed Out Loud Until I Pissed Myself

loudbang, swade41 and '28phonebooth like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

I knew that wasn’t gonna go over well…wasn’t my intent. I just went to Kilmat.com and looked through the instructions. At the end was “useful tips”. In which it states (as mentioned) in cold weather use a heat gun…”’also goes on to say to be installed above 53*s.
    Again, my intent wasn’t to bag on you.

Edit: went to the wrong website, Dynamat says as stated below, both surface and material should be a room temperature.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    loudbang likes this.
  10. Well considering that Dynamat says right on their website that both the material and surface should not be below room temp when installing, yet you still asked the question, one has to wonder.

11. indyjps

indyjps

I've only used kilmat and did it in the summer. I set the box in the sun.
    The stuff is flexible, but bending / tucking / shaping is easier when it's warm.

I don't think the adhesive itself would be an issue in colder temps, just my personal assessment. You will work harder if the stuff is cold to get it to fit where you want it. If it doesn't flex well you have a better chance of tearing the foil backing getting it to form and using rollers on it.

On vertical surfaces. I did give a couple shots of 3M adhesive spray. WTH, why not. Not sure if that voided my manuf warranty - I work so slow the company will probably be bought out by another by the time I can actually test it - by driving my car. :D

Just Gary and loudbang like this.

12. At least you're laughing when it happens... I'm usually sleeping!

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Room temp means different things to different people, some like it hot while others like it cool.
    I honestly thought I'd get replies from people with experience that have did this during cold winter weather (not Vegas winter which is substantially warmer than north east winter) I am thankful for those that answered with intelligent comments though.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Room temperature doesn't mean whatever someone likes the temperature to be with when companies use is. It's a term that is general accepted to be for temperatures between 68 and 72F.

Just Gary likes this.
  15. Metal sweats as it heats up but at a constant 50 degree temp, that shouldn't be an issue. Many adhesives are affected by colder temps. I've never tried to do it colder than 70 degrees but 50 makes me nervous. :)

stanlow69 and loudbang like this.
  16. gene-koning

gene-koning

Its going to be a lot easier to work with when the temps are near 70. Will it work below 70? Probably, but it would be a lot more work, and it really is quite a job at 70 degrees.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Maybe put a small space heater in it for a while to bring the temp up a bit, then hit it with a heat gun while rolling it out?

Algoma56 likes this.
  18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've almost completed the entire interior of my 46 Olds however it's summer down here and I haven't used a heat gun, I was able to roll it out. When cold I imagine that it's not as malleable and soft. Very adhesive and sticks like s*** to a blanket. I made templates to cover the entire interior (Where applicable, compound curved surfaces are a PITA) however proper preparation is the key as all my interior surfaces were stripped to bare metal and painted beforehand. What about preheating the shop and car with a propane fan heater and laying the sheets out to absorb the heat and soften up? I laid out my larger sheets prior to application and have very minimal leftovers! Only a few places and wheel arches left to do now. 271481355_196164539342241_7626464242660320144_n.jpg

19. I helped someone with Dynamat, we even used my good roller. It was warm enough, but it had a tendency to tear easily in tight spots. I used Fatmat on my car, much more flexible and not one tear. The roller that came with it was way too flimsy and broke. I used a heat gun too, came out mint.
    521-005.JPG

loudbang, swade41 and deuceman32 like this.
  20. deuceman32

deuceman32

Bob, that's some impressive workmanship there, even at full zoom.

bobss396 and loudbang like this.
  21. I got the garage up to 60, I had kept the dynamat in the house, used the heat gun on the metal then a few passes over the mat, propped the heat gun up blowing on the area I was doing then stuck it down.
    It seems to have molded into all the nooks and crannies and stuck, left the heat at 60 and hopefully tomorrow it's still stuck when I start bolting a couple things down.

20220222_160546.jpg

loudbang and RMR&C like this.
  22. Nice job, warmer weather helps a bit I am sure but that won't last much longer. Heat gun does the trick.

swade41 likes this.
  23. Thanks, I'm sort of fussy although it is hidden by carpet, etc. This was done in late May of 2016. I had a little help doing the inside of the roof.

24. Jones St.

Jones St.

On smaller pieces/strips I 've used a butane torch & heated until shiny. Sammy Safety Safaris guys can zip it.