Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***February 2022 Banger Meet Thread - Heart Has 4 Chambers***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 1, 2022.

1. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Thanks John!

2. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Yur welcome Larry!

G_Don likes this.
  3. guitarguy

guitarguy

I'm almost shocked at the balancing responses. Heck, in our local Model T club, even in our bone stock T engines we've seen the differences of balancing vs. non balancing. Even at low RPM's the difference in smoothness is VERY significant. I understand the properties of the 4 cylinder engine that while running it creates alot of vibration inherently, but any balancing helps on anything that is rotating.

I do not see the benefit of half taking apart an engine and half balancing the parts. I understand it can be done that way, and again, any balancing IMO is better than none, but just balancing the crank alone while you have the engine apart just seems like a futile exercise to me. Obviously opinions vary here.

I am not an expert, nor do I or have I run a Bonneville car (come from hot street car / drag racing backround), but I value all your opinions here. My experience lays in "modern" OHV V-8s primarily. I almost feel after reading I did something wrong by balancing my stuff the way I did.

Interesting reading tonight fellas

grumpy gaby 2 likes this.
  4. Phil Damon

Phil Damon
    from San Diego

Checking in. Getting ready to install a T5 behind the new motor. It's a Camaro/S10 hybrid. Also rebuilding the rear axle at the same time. Changing to 4:11 gears.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I’m heading for San Diego Friday for a month. Thought I’d throw this Donovan and Brumfield head in the trailer incase somebody would like to buy one and is too cheap to pay the freight! $350 on the B-F head and $500 on the Donovan. PM me A0E2B526-1598-42D7-ABCA-5AB0233254C3.jpeg D00B3D44-5401-4618-9BD9-8F771D48B71E.jpeg

mctim64, blgitn, Dustyp489 and 2 others like this.
  6. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Were are you getting the Trans adapter?
    Miller's sells one but you need a AA bell housing

7. Phil Damon

Phil Damon
    from San Diego

8. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

9. railcarmover

railcarmover

Made it to WV...3000 miles on a pint of fuel!!.(he had others to drop and reload) Gonna have to get out and drive it some when it warms up..new kid in town,Im pretty sure I have the only banger in Capon Valley,but you never know.146 miles to Hershey,113 to Carlisle..haven't been to the Hershey meet since '75...

Attached Files:

Dustyp489, blgitn, BeaverMatt and 3 others like this.
  10. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

I am sitting waiting on a delivery from Australia tomorrow................Pics to follow ......tomorrow

winduptoy likes this.
  11. Anyone have any advice? ANYONE?!?!

12. brjnelson

brjnelson

I did all the trany stuff you asked about and would do it again if I was going to use a V8 trans again.
    The 50's side shifter gears are a good improvement, I did it to mine, you do need the wider shift fork to fit the helical gears.
    What would open drive get you? You got a trany with Torque tube and a rear with a tube, why go and do all the work for open drive? unless you plan on a more modern axle/trans in the future.

13. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

It is here ! 274008097_1031582547713772_9055817963673757916_n.jpg

14. A bigger drive shaft. J

Old Dawg likes this.
  15. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Open it up, open it up, c'mon, open it up.

Dustyp489 likes this.
  16. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

I plan to tomorrow, final push today to get a house built that I can live in comfortably ,been at this for months working 10 hours a day and am knackered -too knackered to appreciate what is inside the box!

Dustyp489 likes this.
  17. 5280A2

5280A2

Changing transmissions is a big plus for drivability over the stock A, speedier shifting equals more fun. If you change transmissions by all means lighten the flywheel at the same time. As long as you're cutting, take off the raised ring and go with the V8 pressure plate (the clutch disc is the same). The quickie sounds cool, but your stock Model A rear end is tough enough for the horsepower you can make with a flathead four banger. Save the money you would spend on rebuilding the quick change and 40 rear and spend it on a high compression head and performance cam. Don't wait to change carbs, a 94 will also wake things up ASAP.

Old Dawg and Stovebolt like this.
  18. Savage Coupe

Savage Coupe
    from Washington

Question, does anyone have experience with cork oil pan and valve cover gaskets? The package says not to use any additional sealer just the gasket itself. Currently have paper gaskets with gasket maker and have seepage.

19. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Good to see all you guys still banger around !!!!!

G Baese, barrnone50 and Crazydaddyo like this.
  20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i have tried all the tricks with no luck . even changed pans . im not sure you can get it leakless .
    tried the no leak pan gasket set up , still leaked . if you find a way , please let us know .. steve

Savage Coupe likes this.
  21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see you around!!
    What's going on

22. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cork will seep some too, in my experience.
    I use Loctite 5699 sealant and buy it in a pressurized tube. It is more expensive but when it sets up in the nozzle, you can remove the nozzle and clear the plug. That way you can get the use of most all the contents. Don't get faked out by a 'valve cover' leak opr the return tube on a A engine
    Also seal each fastener individually, you might try sealant on the bolt heads before you go to cork, especially if you look at it and see a drip forming on the head. Extra sealant in the 'corners'.
    good luck and hope this is understandable......

23. Kewl65

Kewl65

Need some advice that I havent been able to find searching the forum
    Ive built a Model A chassis running a 4" dropped SoCal front axle; rear suspension is a reversed eye main leaf and three other leafs on top and 4 cut short leafs under the main leaf to fill out the pack; juice brakes - not yet plumbed; 35 wires with 750 Firestones on the rear and 600 on the fronts. Im worried I have too much rake and would like to get the rear down more and am thinking about stepping the chassis using the Tardel method (2 1/2"). Will the rear unsplit radius rods hit the chassis when it bottoms out if stepped? Hoping someone has stepped there otherwise stock banger set up that can provide advice TIA 20191012_145249.jpg
    20191012_145234.jpg

Attached Files:

24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

good looking job .....

Kewl65 likes this.
  25. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

@Kewl65 have you thought about a T spring?
    [​IMG]
    My coupe sits approximately 5" lower than stock with no step-up in the frame.
    A friend had the original A spring's eyes reversed and the main leaf shortened and re-set to lower his coupe. but I have not seen that as yet.

Dustyp489 and brokenspoke like this.
  26. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Speedway has a medium arch spring that may do WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR

Kewl65 and Old Dawg like this.
  27. Kewl65

Kewl65

TBH I didnt think I would get much more drop out of a T spring than I have out of my reversed Model A eye spring with the leaves rearranged and they are hard to come by in Australia

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i have a 4" drop axle . rear i used a reverse eye "A" spring with a couple of leaves taken out . worked well . now i use coil overs ........... steve coupe1.JPG

Kewl65 and Dustyp489 like this.
  29. 5280A2

5280A2

I have this reversed-eye spring in my roadster pickup. Five leaves with two dummies on the bottom, and the spring ends dropped about two inches. Still not as low as a T spring; I will eventually replace this with a reversed-eye T spring because the bend in this spring makes contact with the top of the axle housing. After 12 years I'm seeing wear on the weld on the top of the axle tubes. (The spring is unloaded in this picture as the axle is out of the truck)

IMG_1019.JPG

Kewl65 likes this.
  30. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

well I opened the box and to my surprise........there was a free Tshirt ! well worth the money fits real nice and has a nice logo,there was an alloy casing in there too , it is even nicer and looks to be good quality.The back cover is a good snug fit without being mad tight to get off and the shaft is a nice fit in the bearing .Well worth the money if you are looking for one. qc1.jpg qc.jpg

97, brjnelson, Jeff Stevenson and 8 others like this.