Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Specials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ned Ludd, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Because of the lack of grip in the rear they dialed in excessive positive chamber in the front to reduce the front end grip?
    So you now have a car that doesn't grip at either end!?

2. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

In order not to have horrible things happen to the steering at speed, a notional line drawn through a car's kingpin axis needs to pass through the tyre's contact patch.

Not sure about that Bugatti, but the positive camber on lots of twenties/early thirties cars was as a result of lack of kingpin inclination; ie the kingpin eyes were parallel and vertical when viewed from the front. Upright kingpins mean a fair amount of positive camber to get the notional line to pass through the tyre's contact patch.

282doorUK and Ned Ludd like this.
  3. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

TMD DieselX Special powered by Cummins 2.8 SOHC turbo diesel. keywords -1930s-streamline-art deco-dieselpunk 241044363_954040125175166_7046003677002000415_n.jpg 240942367_954040295175149_9080432847269165092_n.jpg Winchester 2021 062.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    RMR&C and Jet96 like this.
  4. noboD

noboD

SO from what you are saying this would be the reason all my buddies in HS that turned their VW wheels inside out and then wound up on their roof?

Jet96 and Stueeee like this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All this time I thought “specials” were guys who took up 2 parking places. I always felt they were way more imPOtant than me..

NoelC and Six Ball like this.
  6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

If you drop the rear suspension a bit and give it some negative camber the VWs will handle rather well.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ford gb 1932 b-1.jpg

ford gb 1932 b-2.jpg

Quoted text...

"The high-power weight ratio and even torque of the new eight-cylinder Ford has already brought it to the notice of the sporting public, and the announcement of a four-seater open body on this chassis make a strong appeal to the many motorists who remain faithful to this type of car.
    Produced by Arthur Gould & Co of 290, Regent Street, W.1., and named the Greyhound, the two-door aluminium panelled body has good looking lines, which are not allowed to detract from the comfort of the seating accommodation. The swaged cycle-type wings, which do not move with the wheels, should afford ample protection from mud-slinging. The low build makes it possible to dispense with running-boards.
    The front adjustable bucket seats have pneumatic upholstery, leather covered, and the seating position is such that the controls are easily reached. The single-pane windscreen is fitted with safety-glass and folds forward when required. Access to the rear seat is gained by tipping either of the front seats. The rear seat and squab are well padded and are just as comfortable as the front ones.
    The car is fitted with a neat tonneau cover and hood-bag and the detail work, carpets and interior fittings, are substantial and well-finished.
    A 2-4-seater, called the Terrier, is available on the 8 h.p. Ford chassis and is similar in design to the larger model. The prices are :-Greyhound £325 and Terrier £185."

https://classiccarcatalogue.com/FORD_GB_1932.html

@Ned Ludd, I thought I'd post this here as well as it's pretty darn special...The other thing I find interesting about these unusuals is the other cars it reminds me of when I look at it... the fenders in particular look like Edsels creation and there was an unusual Model A Roadster Hotrod that was a survivor that may have been inspired by these...

ford gb 1933 greyhound-3.jpg

they also had a 33 as well that seemed a carryover from 32...

Did some more research on this and it seems it may despite looking and possibly being parts from the 32 line it may only have been offered in early 33...

Paging @The37Kid...I thought you'd find this interesting thinking of your Steelback project...;)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    Spoggie, Six Ball, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That's one sweet little sports car.

Six Ball, jeepsterhemi and Stogy like this.
  9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    jim32 likes this.
  10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Some pics from the event:
    [​IMG]
    Austin

[​IMG]
    MG

[​IMG]
    Austin

[​IMG]
    Bentley

[​IMG]
    Riley

Spoggie, chrisp, RMR&C and 4 others like this.
  11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The Riley gets my vote! Thanx.

[​IMG]
    Riley[/QUOTE]

banjeaux bob, Ned Ludd and Six Ball like this.
  12. cabong

cabong

I feel extremely blessed that for being just a kid from Walla Walla, I have been able to be in the presence of some pretty cool racers. The first was Ak Miller's El Caballo de Hiero. After becoming friends with Ak, I convinced him to let me recreate the "Cabong" from the parts he had left of the original. Vern Tardel did the chassis work and I did the rest. I raced that heavy bugger for ten years, sometimes with Ak. He was a great friend 'till he left to be with the rest of the "originals"..... The next racer was a warehouse find that when completed, was the fastest critter I had ever driven. It was a 100-4 Austin Healy which had been wrecked in 1958 and re-bodied. The rebuild included installing a 265 Chevy and 4-speed. I was lucky enough to find a 265 mule motor, which with the help of a special camshaft, turned out to be a monster. I was given the engine and cam by an old friend who happened to be the person responsible for finding Mike Pillbury's Le Man's Corvette. The last racer was a Crosley based special which had run a special Crosley engine, a Harley knucklehead, and a Ford V8-60. I hose to use the latter. It was by far the most fun of the three cars to drive. It was fast, obnoxious, and fun......
    #1 Ak and Ray Brock in Mexico 1991 and also the "Rocket" that made it go...
    #2 The El Caballo at work
    #3 The El Caballo in mixed company at North Island
    #4 The rebodied 100-4 at North Island
    #5 The heart of the Crosley Almquist Saber
    #6 The Crosley at Sears Point 371olds.jpg vintage b.jpg vintage.jpg vintage a.jpg Crosley Garage 009.jpg sonomahistoricsbfox035-M c.jpg

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are “Specials” drive by “special” people? The ones who take 2 places in a lot when parking..

Ned Ludd and Six Ball like this.
  14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Well..., isn't that special?:D

Wanderlust and jimmy six like this.
  15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Come to think of it, a lot of specials are narrow enough and wieldy enough to fit in the remaining space, an inch and a half from the offending parker's driver's door. Then you retreat to a suitable spot and watch them trying to clamber in from the passenger side.

Six Ball, jimmy six and Kroombit like this.
  16. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

heres some

Attached Files:

17. noboD

noboD

That Fiat is cute as Hell.

Wanderlust likes this.
  18. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

some more

Attached Files:

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tony’s best friend..

20. Kume

Kume

The Riley 9 and 12/4 chassis were used for countless specials. This is a nice 12/4 that started out as a Falcon I think.

riley 12-4.jpg

Spoggie, jimmy six, Ned Ludd and 3 others like this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is beautiful!

Spoggie and Ned Ludd like this.
  22. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thank you!

Spoggie likes this.
  24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

25. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Yes, that guy knows that road well, I wanna drive like that, never miss a shift or downshift

Six Ball and Ned Ludd like this.
  26. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Great video. I also noticed the slick shifting in the video and wondered if the car had a Preselector gearbox (Transmission). A lot of Rileys were fitted with these from the factory in the mid thirties. For those who aren't familiar, you select the next gear (up or down as you are going to need) on a small quadrant. Pressing and releasing the clutch pedal triggers the actual gear change to whatever you've preselected.

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I was wondering the same thing.

28. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

All I know is that Riley can drip oil on my driveway any day it wants to. Beautiful machine!

29. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

30. Kume

Kume

My Riley 9 Special based on a 1934 Riley Kestrel.
    20191004_140430.jpg

Jet96, Spoggie, hotrodfil and 5 others like this.