Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

NO 6sally6, You DON'T "Just JAM it into gear & it kinda grind it until it engages" ! The motor is not running,(THERE IS NO STARTER) so you slide it into gear(may have to rock it slightly to engage the splines) then the push vehicle pushes it to turn the motor until the oil pressure comes up, & the driver flips the Magneto switch, the car fires, & away it goes.

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

If it does accidentally pop out of gear - while moving - can you just rev the engine to match the input / output speeds and then jam it back in gear?

loudbang likes this.
  3. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

It isn't reccommended to try to "pop it back into gear" as that usually is an "expensive error"! It is reccommended to come to a stop & repeat the initial starting process. However, they don't usually come out of gear as the shifter handle is usually spring loaded(a ball-detent or similar) to keep it in gear while in operation, so it requires deliberate action by the driver to come out of gear.

4. loudbang

loudbang

Still wondering whatever happened with "Rootie Kazoootie" he was very knowledgeable in this thread. Hasn't been on since DEC 2020. Anybody know him?

5. Carter

Carter

I have been wondering if Rootie wasn't Kevin Triplett. The timing would make sense, plus the massive amount of pictures and knowledge.

loudbang likes this.
  6. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know but I miss his input and knowledge

Carter and loudbang like this.
  7. jaracer

jaracer

No, you can't put the box in gear with the engine running and the car setting still. You put it in gear and get pushed to start the engine.

However, I know some guys will pull the box out of gear while idling around the track and blip the throttle to clear the engine. You can get it back in gear if the car is rolling. You just have to play with the throttle a little.

loudbang likes this.
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

It may be a bit "noisy" but I can see how it could be done.
    I once drove a van full of guys to the swap meet in Carlisle PA. Upon leaving, the clutch shaft sheared off my 4-speed trans. I put it in gear, started the engine with the starter motor and drove it from Carlisle PA to Cleveland OH to Detroit MI without a clutch. The only time I stopped moving was to pay tolls on the PA turnpike. The starter motor got us rolling again. Crashed a few red lights, drove up on the sidewalk once to avoid a rear ender, but after a while I was able to closely match the engine speed to the vehicle speed and chosen gear.

alanp561, Old Dawg and loudbang like this.
  9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, not exactly a REAL Sprint Car...

This was my one (and only) attempt at building a radio controlled car. Built entirely from scratch using the front and rear parts of a Radio Flyer ride-on. It ended up being much slower than I planned...which was OK, because I really sucked at driving a RC car:eek::mad:

Here's what I initially cut up to make the body
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lil32, kevinrevin, tractorguy and 3 others like this.
  10. jaracer

jaracer

Had a similar thing happen on my 58 Impala. Pushed the clutch in and it didn't release because the ball broke. I also managed to get home with a few stops and re-starting the car in gear. You know on heavy truck the gears are not synchronized. You have to match engine speed to gear ratios to shift. I found you only have to double clutch on downshifts.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

I bought this from widow of collector with no history... Might be a put together car idk.... Any help???

Attached Files:

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a 194-292 lake model Chevrolet 6 for power and a lot of parts..

loudbang and Dean Lowe like this.
  13. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Keep the bust, it's probably the most valuable bit :D

14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Valuable or not, you can probably have fun with it at one of the vintage racing groups around; not the snobby ones that want provenance - the guys that just want to get out on a track someplace and kick up some dirt.

BTW I like the inline six.
    I'd add a roll bar and belts.

loudbang and Fordors like this.
  15. Little Terry

Little Terry

We finally got this old girl to fire. It has been parked since it was brought over to the UK from Hershey in 2000. There are a few leaks that need fixing, but we hope to be racing on the beach in May.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    Devin, Gofannon, alanp561 and 4 others like this.
  16. hipojoe

hipojoe

I just found this and love everything about it. My little contribution to these cars is my Father in Law was directly involved with the NOVI race cars, around 1946 to 1954. His Father in Law was Lew Welch who owned the team and my Father in Law was CHAZ HOWSMAN. His contribution to the race team was he came up with a fix for the beast of an engine that kept blowing head gaskets. They cast the cylinder heads and the block as one, this finally allowed the HOWLER to get around with out constantly DNF ING from engine troubles!

The37Kid and tractorguy like this.
  17. Little Terry

Little Terry

Are there any thoughts out there on what pistons our GMC 270 is running? I don’t have much experience with GMC motors, but they don’t look stock to me…..
    3c470c4d-8ddf-4a84-aa53-d3f40fae9887.jpg

18. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

19. I apologize for the diversion but it's a 1932 Gesma designed/built trailer for a big car. (the car shown has a 92" wb) Built as a up and over with '29 Cord Axle. The people who follow this thread (I've read all of it) will know what it is and may have interest. If not, it's still pretty cool. Not trying to make a killing, just find a new home where it will be appreciated. It pains me to admit, it will just sit with little or no use for local trips. Cincinnati
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6Je8AipYOhQ

Attached Files:

tractorguy, The37Kid and Carter like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Some photos of the CORD rear axle would be nice to see. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  21. Bob, I'll take a few shots tomorrow. I understand it was a L29. I don't know Cords but think the L29 was FWD.
    Steve

22. Here's one I had but will take more/better tomorrow.

Attached Files:

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks, Everyone looks at the front of the L29 that is the first rear axle shot I've seen. Bob

Carter and loudbang like this.
  24. Recent FB post. There’s a thread in it but this is for the subscribers.
    Owner said built in 65. So I guess that’s about as close to the limit as ya get.
    Reportedly untouched since the early 70s.
    738B773E-03DC-48EC-8D67-95EAFF2E6AF0.jpeg 6F1666BD-56A7-4F07-A439-A6EB2DD9F3D6.jpeg 0CD5755E-8A75-4548-A70B-0AD62E63D648.jpeg 820F9185-79C6-4847-872A-1460F6D7EE78.jpeg 1A742FFF-895B-491F-B05F-E80B9B0BE15D.jpeg 7AE72B93-D474-4EE8-929B-39FBBEE3CE23.jpeg

25. YEAH? Well I wouldn't hit any of those Mag wheels too hard with your hammer! They look so corroded that they might break!

anthony myrick likes this.
  26. Did not forget this subject. Tried to photograph results you guys gave me above to mark data with photos in my computer but for some reason it would not cooperate. Have more to post and share for you. For some reason my computer will allow me to download photos from the camera and reduce size for posting but when I try and store them it will not let me. So no way to post them on this site site. I have to save them in my documents. Not a computer guy! Thanks.

27. Mumbles

Mumbles
    from PNW

20220414_162004.jpg Found this in my Dad's tool box. These are post cards that were mailed out weekly to those interested back in the day.

Dean Lowe, alanp561 and Woogeroo like this.
  28. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

1956 sprint car savoy A.jpg 1956 sprint car savoy B.jpg 1956 sprint car savoy C.jpg
    1956 Hillegass Sprint Race Car

If anyone is curious, this is the

Savoy Automobile Museum
    3 Savoy Lane, Cartersville, GA

Web: savoymuseum.org

This is a list of their artwork hanging in various parts of the museum:

https://savoymuseum.org/artwork/

With photos of the memorabilia/paintings, etc.. You may have to click 'artwork' on the left hand side to get them all to load up.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

what a beautiful restoration.
    Y-block?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  30. Little Terry

Little Terry

We made it to the beach races last weekend. The car ran in anger for the first time in many a year. To say I am pleased is an understatement.
    885245C5-67BF-4A46-9A23-C3824CE73946.jpg 4094503e-13e9-4ca7-a8bf-6d6a63ea48c2.jpg