Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 Ford Deluxe Convertable Won't Stay Running

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Van Long, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Van Long

Van Long

Just recently purchase a 1940 Ford Deluxe at auction that sat in a barn for 30 or so years. I've replace the tank and fuel line and rebuild the fuel pump. Had the radiator cleaned and serviced along with new hoses and installed thermostats which non where install on the car when I replace the hoses. The few time I've drove it would stall when I'd slow down to make a turn and after driving for 4 or 5 mile it will not restart unless I let it set and cool down. The engine doesn't over heat, I've started it and just let it idle in the garage but after 30 to 40 minutes it will stop running and it will not restart until it cools down. It starts like a charm every time and the engine isn't overheating wants the problem? Regards

2. alchemy

alchemy

Do you have a vented gas cap?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. kb cookout

kb cookout

Check the fuel pump, sometimes the glass fuel bowl mounting flange gets warped from over tightening the wire bail that's holds the glass bowl

later kb

5. When I does not fire up after running/stalling, do you have spark to the plugs? Gas to the carb? Air/fuel, spark......those are required to make it run. Fundamental diagnoses are needed before we can be of use to you.

6. Van Long

Van Long

Newer style pump no glass bowl. Thanks

7. Van Long

Van Long

Is the heat from the engine after it gets warmed up causing a issue with the coil?

8. Van Long

Van Long

I'll check those conditions. Thanks for the help

9. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I had issues with ot car that had a bad coil and after running for a half an hour or so in any outside temp it would do the same thing. The coil would warm then short inside.

10. Van Long

Van Long

Has the original cap it had when it left the factory.

11. Van Long

Van Long

Your the third person to point to the coil. Thanks

12. alchemy

alchemy

I really don't believe this. The gas cap is a target of much use and usually they are replaced a couple times on cars. Maybe yours got replaced by one without a vent.

You said you replaced the tank. Most new tanks aren't exactly like original. Did the new tank have a separate vent?

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

If it's not the coil, it might be your starting procedure. A good friend that was thoroughly experienced with flatheads told me to absolutely NOT touch the gas pedal when restarting a flathead that had just been driven and was warm. I thought he was crazy but I practiced what he preached and dang if the old Ford flatheads didn't usually start right up!
    Just sharing what has been shared with me. For me, the culprit on issues with newly acquired vehicles with flatheads was usually the coil. YRMV

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    my2nd40 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Van Long

Van Long

Thanks for the insight.

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  15. Van Long

Van Long

The tank was purchased for Midwest Early Ford I believe it was a Drake tank. I'll look into that, thanks for your feed back.

16. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Hamtown Al likes this.
  17. I've had much the same issues with other points ignitions. Turns out noting more than a, going bad condenser. If so, the run cycle will get shorter and shorter eventually taking out the Points.

18. Van Long

Van Long

Thank I'll give him a shout

19. Van Long

Van Long

Are you saying just replace the condenser?

20. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Yes he is saying replace the condenser

21. Van Long

Van Long

Thanks and thanks for the laugh

22. You can't figure out your own problem, but you doubt I've had a much the same issue come to me, and a condenser alone cured it? Why would I waste my time or yours if I hadn't in fact done this?

40FORDPU, desotot and Bandit Billy like this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wizzard is on point (so to speak). Replace the condenser with a good one (don't skimp, a lot of them are crap anymore). I had this issue with my 62 Nova a couple years ago and it was cured with a ten dollar bill and a trip to NAPA. Most guys with points keep an extra set and a spare condenser in the glove box.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  24. Van Long

Van Long

Thanks

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

All this speculation and we still don’t know if he checked it for spark or fuel delivery when it won’t start?? Waste of time for anyone to diagnose until we know

26. Van Long

Van Long

27. Van Long

Van Long

Thanks

28. Van Long

Van Long

Just getting shoveled out this week. I'll look at those conditions. Thanks

29. blackbeard40

blackbeard40
    from Maryland

I had the same problem for a bunch of years. After checking everything over time I treated the ole flathead to some new Autolite spark plugs. Problem solved. I had even gone to Pertronix dizzy conversion. I did not know the age of the old plugs and should have replaced way sooner.

30. Van Long

Van Long

I replaced the coil and condenser with new one from Midwest Early Ford. It started right up ran at idle for 1 hour shut it off and restarted it right away and ran for another 30 minutes with no shut down. Still cold up here so I didn't get it out on the road but I think that has solved my problems. Thanks for all the help HAMB!!!