Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 57 FORD Build #2... Glutton for Punishment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Needed to mock up the carb quickly... I dug through the parts bin and found a spacer/riser I needed.. the carb throttle arm needed some height to pass over the intake.... Going out to get some studs for the carb pad... this week some time.The Holley was rebuilt about 6 months back.

28.jpg 29.jpg

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Also,... I want to use a big ole factory Air Cleaner.... Which I plan to modify internally and add a matching air horn on the opposite side.
    My end game is to build a ram air induction unit... similar to a Thunderbolt unit..... so think of this as an early experimental unit(if I can make it work,)I have about 4-5 of this units.... so it may be a mix match game.
    But I needed to mock up and see if this Air Cleaner will actually pass the hood latch.... or will I need to modify....
    ...looks clear so far.
    We will see.

Still lots to do yet....

30.jpg 31.jpg 32.jpg

3. I love the air cleaner plan

Deuces, Stogy, Joe Travers and 2 others like this.
  4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hopefully it will work Lane!

But am pleased thus far my friend.

260F5552-EBEF-4D12-84DE-3EA561A91642.jpeg

5. Jeff, do you know how to arc the shoes at home when you don't have a real machine to do the job with?

6. Belt sander is what the model Aers use. Ot take them to a truck shop that deals in big rigs.

mike

Jeff Norwell, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

I did that trick with my non ram air Cobrajet. Took two old coffee cans (coffee still come in cans LOL) cut two holes in the side of the stock bottom kind of oval shape at the can because the cans were too large for the side. Mashed the cans down with top and bottom lids removed and braised them in the ovaled holes. Got some flexed generic hose and some plastic under bumper inlets from JC Whitney and hooked them up.

Worked great reduced my ET by 0.20 seconds with no other changes.

winr, chryslerfan55, MRW1994 and 7 others like this.
  8. RmK57

RmK57

Keep us posted. I want to know where your going to put a pair of 4" ducting hoses. I thought of doing the same thing but couldn't figure out where to put the ducting without cutting up something. One idea I saw was a nascar inspired setup where the owner had the air cleaner pulling air from the low pressure cowl vent area from holes cut in the firewall. I doubt you want to holes either so it's a tough choice.

9. Shortening the snorkels on a 66 GTO air cleaner in the mid 80's was my Ram Air setup.Hoses went through inner fenders just in front of the cord support,into the wheelwell and to the side of the grille.The old road is now to bring air into the engine compartment.I miss my FE days a bunch.
    Hey RMK....Is a Boss in your future?

10. RmK57

RmK57

Not in my 57. The Boss has to stay married to the Mustang.

loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well... the only place I can think of is through the inner fenders as mentioned.I have about 3 sets...
    I do have my own issues cutting holes into the inner fenders....
    The antiquer in me sometimes gets the better of me.. but the Hotrodder in me say"Screw it.. just start cutting"
    It may be a mute concern,.. but I don't need debris kicked up into the ducts and heading towards the carb.... of course a good screen(s) can protect that somewhat.... and I really never be travelling on some dirt Sideroad buzzing at 80mph.(sounds fun....but it won't happen)
    I had this plan as well on my other 57... but I just stuck with the tri-power air cleaner and called it a day.
    I could run the ducts through the rad support and under behind the grill... but cutting into a rad support is even more of a horrible thought...I have a couple.. but they are pretty much Junk. And a good rad saddle/rad support are hard to find in good shape..... most are rotted terribly.
    So if I do make it happen, it will happen on the tops of the inner fenders. deep into the fender area.
    I believe Crites sees the Duct hoses needed.

we shall see.

hrm2k, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

13. RmK57

RmK57

Funny you mentioned rad supports. I've had that behemoth 460 and C-6 in and out a few times now and I'm seriously considering cutting the top section of the support, weld flanges on it to make it removable. It would free up almost a foot forward and 8" in height which should make it much easier to pull or install the engine. It's actually breaking out the cutting disc and doing it though....hmmm.

loudbang, Stogy, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

If I were to do this Ram Air set up..... I would go through the inner fender at this point....

IMG_9529.jpeg

chriseakin, Deuces, hrm2k and 5 others like this.
  15. As you previously mentioned, seems like the ideal place to collect road rash thrown up by the forward moving tire!! Think of all the fine grit Texas silt you'll be driving thru when you aim that thing towards Texas.

Deuces, loudbang, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yea.I realize that......
    If I even attempt it, I would run the system as the quick mock up shows..... easy to find tubing material and even easier to attach to the inner fender.Both sides of the car in each fender of course.
    There is a open box under each DUCT 01.jpg headlight....
    anyways.... just ideas

chriseakin, Deuces, alfin32 and 6 others like this.
  17. my bad.......I thought you were just going to pick up the air outside the inner fender.

Thor1, Sky Six, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. Without AC, I would fry in the summer in my '59 without the air ducts. They bring in a lot of cooler outside air.

Thor1, loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That's Genuine Bitchin' there.....

Deuces, Thor1, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  20. how i could dream of owning a 57 that all the seals arent rotten without rust...

Thor1 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  21. Man, with the quality of that “mock up”, you would think you were some sort of artist or something. :D

Actually, looks like a very cool idea! I really like the way you are doing this 57!

22. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are factory 1955 Ford fresh air intake parts that mount much like you drew up. They have a stone guard and a piece if fine screen would keep out the small debris. Might be something there to look into. Those are currently listed on Fleabay for 450.oo buy it now. Just my take on what you're thinking.

chriseakin, enloe, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  23. Small misprint of just $400.oo. The 4 shouldn't be there. Should have been the $ sign. They are $50.oo for the pair. I need to learn to proof read.

24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hahahah

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for!
    I think I will shake the local Ford tree around here and see what falls out.
    Fantastic!

lothiandon1940, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well... that was easy.I have 4 secured....A quick text and they are being shipped.
    The Power of the HAMB.

28. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

JN,
    Check out the 1951 F1 ducting used with the Magic Aire feature on the 5-Star Extra cab. I will see if I can find some photos. I have it on my Mercury.
    T

Thor1, loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  29. Many are capable of making the decision about restoring or modding. I did a 65 mustang fastback in the 70's. It was a restore. I never had much fun with it. Since then I have done many projects. Those that are restored, I can't get rid of fast enough when they're completed. It's the owner's decision. Who are you building the car for? You or the next owner? I don't think there is a "right" answer. As human's, were a fickle lot. We change our minds according to what stimulus is present. My thought is period correct mods are where you're headed. Mr. Norwell has way more imagination than most of us but it never hurts to have input from others. None of us see everything with clarity. This is a good build to watch. :)

Algoma56, Thor1, impala4speed and 2 others like this.
  30. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

And a quick WARNING on using cheap generic dryer hose for cold air intake ducts.

The truck, 1966 IH pickup, cab design is 1960, so it fits into the "outer limits of the HAMB rules". The engine, a baby 266 CID - 2 barrel - stock IH (design goes back to the late 1950's). I cut a hole in the stock air cleaner, pop-riveted a flange to it. Bought some cheap dryer hose (spiral spring and plastic construction) and ran that house out through the front bulkhead (beside the radiator). Used some hardware cloth to strain out the large chunks...

About 15 years ago, we had a local speed shop. They had a chassis dyno day. Just for shits-and-giggles, I ran that old cornbinder on the dyno - mostly to support the speed shop... First run, was smooth, but (barely discernible ;)) HP and torque curve. The next 3 runs had a severe stutter - the curves looked like a saw tooth blade.

At "wide-open-throttle", about 3 turns of the generic dryer hose had sucked into the air cleaner...

P.S. A few years ago, I held 3 "LOWEST HORSEPOWER" records on the local chassis dyno o_O:
    1. This IH 266 CID
    2. The original 1.8 Liter engine in my Volvo custom
    3. The lightly modified Cummins 4bt diesel in my OT F150.

Russ

Another P.S. The cornbinder pickup is long gone...

Blues4U, Algoma56, Thor1 and 3 others like this.