Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Did you have a Rambler?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greenblade, Jan 22, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Greenblade

Greenblade

Glad your alright! Cool that it stayed running, can't bump a curb anymore nowadays without some maintenance light coming on.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

lamar.jpg

MO_JUNK, 34 5W Paul, Ford52PU and 4 others like this.
  3. Greenblade

Greenblade

Hahaha! Good story. Sounds like it was a fun trip. I can't wait to get my Rambler running yo do some fun road trips like that

mitch 36 and dana barlow like this.
  4. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

Had a 60 American 2 door wagon, seats folded down to make a bed somehow got a mosquito pic burn on my backside cant remember how!

Algoma56 and leon bee like this.
  5. Greenblade

Greenblade

Ha! That's a great story! Hell of a deal too, $75.
    Rambler was always a bit of a poorer company, perhaps that's why they didn't supply a spare tire?

dana barlow likes this.
  6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Did Not Have A Rambler But My Friends Restored This Rebel... 561581c82ee1b_image.jpg

7. Greenblade

Greenblade

8. Greenblade

Greenblade

Holy crap that's cool! Never knew it existed
    Hey @rusty rocket we need to go here next time we make it down to Denver!!!

283john likes this.
  9. Greenblade

Greenblade

I love the quirky Rambler marlins, they look cool

hotrodjack33 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. Greenblade

Greenblade

Beautiful colors on that one!

11. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

That's the only colors they came in. The Gold was anodized aluminum -- sorta like what you'd see on '57 Ford Fairlanes(?).

Greenblade likes this.
  12. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Coming back from Bonneville in the early 70s in my buddy's 360" Hornet cruising at a legal 100 MPH down Hwy. 93. Just rollin' along in Nevada's pre-speed limit days. He said "Look back there's something quickly gaining on us." A Ferrari Testa Rosa went by like we were doing 25.

Tman, VANDENPLAS and Greenblade like this.
  13. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My grandmother bought a new Rambler wagon in about 63 or so, six with three on the tree. Although I can't remember riding with her, my daughter, who was six or seven at the time said she didn't let any grass grow under her feet. She bought it as a fishing car, she loved to fish. I put a new exhaust on it at some point. After she was in an accident my aunt and uncle "convinced" her to quit driving. When she went to the "home" they had an auction to clear out the house and the wagon was on the auction. I sorta wish from time to time that I would have bought it. My grandmother gave me some good advice "Marvin, stay away from women, they are nothing but trouble", I have since given similar advice to my own grandchildren:)

14. Rand Man

Rand Man

My grandma had one. Not particularly on the cool list.

hotrodjack33 and Greenblade like this.
  15. Several different times at "cruise ins" I had guys come up and say: "that's a Rambler" I'd say no,this is a Studebaker Lark, some said: "same thing..."
    Sorry, this is my only Rambler story... 20210929_214239.jpg

16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I had a 61 American two door wagon. I had planned on getting the flathead six running but had no luck, thought about building a sleeper with a v-8 but that didn’t happen. Went to a car show and there was a very nice 62 American convertible with a sbc and mustang 2 front suspension. I started talking to the owner about what it took to drop a small block in it because I have a 61 two door wagon. He said is it for sale? A week later it was loaded on a trailer and gone.

hotrodjack33 and Greenblade like this.
  17. leon bee

leon bee

Surprised it took 34 posts before somebody mentioned the full double bed like my 57 had.

Greenblade and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  18. After purchasing in late last season, I was only able to drive my avatar car (55 Amb Custom Lemans) to 2 local shows because of the excessive play in the steering (box at Lares being rebuilt right now) & that question was asked probably a dozen times between the two shows. Funny thing is.....Mine does not have it, I guess it was only for certain models.

Hopefully I will make some good stories with it this season!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  19. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

20. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Got a 65 220 q couple of years ago.
    Good car can't go much over 65 with the flathead 6.

Greenblade likes this.
  21. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Had a 65 american,light blue with a dark blue top.Wish I still had it.

Greenblade likes this.

22. So... obviously you DIDN'T heed her advice!

Algoma56, hotrodjack33 and Greenblade like this.

23. Not sure if this is the exact model, but at one time a 327 V-8 Rebel was the quickest new car available, except a Corvette.

Hnstray and Greenblade like this.
  24. Greenblade

Greenblade

25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a Ford guy, But Ramblers have had some interesting effects on my life...

My parents brought me home from the hospital in their '51 Atrflyte Convert (with leopard interior).:)
    PD_0028.jpg PD_0030.jpg

Next story...I almost lost my virginity in my buddy Joe's '63 Rambler Wagon...but Debbie Olsen was wearing pantyhose under her jeans...just too much real estate to get thru:(

I've also owned and driven a couple of Rambler Americans:). (lousy old pics)
    PD_0031.jpg PD_0039.jpg

26. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

When I was a kid my old neighbor man bought a new 61 Rambler American. He was the type of guy that always bragged about the great gas mileage his cars got and was always telling my Dad how much gas our big Buicks wasted. One day my football rolled under his Rambler and I noticed it had a petcock to drain the tank. My 10 year old mind came up with a plan! For a few days I would pour a gallon of gas in the Rambler after he went to sleep at night. He could not wait to tell Dad how much better his mileage had gotten since the Rambler was "broke in" I waited about a week then drained a gallon out for a few nights. I saw him out one day and asked him if his car was still doing so good on gas, all I got was a grunt:D Since I had not got caught all this time I stopped right then. If I had got caught my butt would probably still be burning. I didn't tell my Mom and Dad what I had done until about 30 years later, Dad laughed his ass off, Mom not so much:eek:

hotrodjack33, Algoma56, cfmvw and 3 others like this.
  27. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Summer of 1963, I delivered fried chicken for Chicken Delight, using the store fleet - I was 18 years old. The store had a couple of Rambler Americans, about 2 years old. Ramblers were not all the known for quality, thrashing by a long succession of minimum wage teenagers made the problems worse.

The 3-on-a-tree would jamb up - coast to the side of the road - pop the hood - shake the shift levers until they were parallel - slam the hood and drive off.

The boss was surprised that I knew this.

EDIT: p.s. And that is why I never bought a vehicle with 3-on-a-tree.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  28. Greenblade

Greenblade

Hahaha, that's great!

29. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

In the late 70s, I joined a car club. Didn't have a hobby car yet. I wanted a Chevy II but there was already a pretty nice one in the club. Ended up getting a '66 American Rogue, 232 6 with a console automatic. Put in an AMC 360, T-10 4 speed and a 9" rear. It was a lot of fun. Rambler 001.jpg

30. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

had it for 42 years and counting. 422.jpg