Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage estate sale finds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jetnow1, Dec 12, 2021.

1. topher5150

topher5150

Not sure if I'd call it an estate sale, but there's an old-timer, who over the past couple of years has been clearing everything of his out before he kicks the bucket. Between two "garage sales" I scored 3 early 50's Olds hubcaps, back window trim, a drive shaft, a trunk handle and base, a nice gas tank, and a Hudson fender topper for a Hudson all for next to nothing.

2. Picked up this ECO Tireflator (in working condiition) and a service station island towel dispenser (with a case of NOS towels) at a yard sale for $325 a couple years ago..

ECO.jpg

Hamtown Al, 5window and pecker head like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my all time favorite garage sale find was this Bud Man I got for 5 bucks. sold it on ebay for $300.00 back before ebay started to suck. they sell for MUCH less these days

[​IMG]

pecker head likes this.
  4. gatz

gatz

what did the crank do….adjust the pressure?

5. indyjps

indyjps

When I moved out and got my first house, I hit up estate sales. Shovels, rakes, hoses, lawnmower, limited furniture, dishes, 15 gallons of old paint that got mixed to 5 usable and redid my bedrooms.
    Was quite a break on the wallet starting out.

6. Yes.

7. gatz

gatz

Cousins and I went to a local estate sale years ago when still in HS.
    “Gary” bought a medium sized TV for $1.
    Asked him “what the heck you going to do with it”
    He said “come on, let’s go for a ride”
    So, we load up the TV in the 57 Ford and get going about 70 out on the highway.
    Gary's brother rolls down the window, but the TV is too big, so he opens the door and shoves it out.
    Left a whole lotta little electronic things, bunch of plastic and glass all over hell and back.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

And this was funny why?

Ralphies54, Blue One, 5window and 4 others like this.
  9. gatz

gatz

Didn’t say it was funny

10. cfmvw

cfmvw

^^^An interesting interpretation of the "Kill Your Television" bumper stickers I used to see...

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Two years ago I asked the lady running an estate sale what she wanted for EVERY BOOK in the house. She looked at me like I was out of my mind and said $100. I said I'd be back in 15 minutes, had to hit the ATM. Filled a 1998 Lincoln Town car, with enough room to drive to my house, to unload and return for the rest. When I got back there I had about two shelves left to load. She asked "Will you be taking the books in all the other rooms as well?" Sure, that filled the Lincoln a second time.

Bob

lothiandon1940, 5window and loudbang like this.
  12. misigis

misigis
    from NY

You must be very young LOL

13. Yes, the crank allowed you to set the desired pressure. There is a bell inside that would "ding" as the pressure increased and then shut off when the desired pressure is obtained. They used to be at every service station as a wall mounted unit or post mount as this one is. You would assume that there should be an amazing amount of them around, but I've watched the value skyrocket on them in the last 15 years (making the $325 price tag on this one a heck of a bargain).

14. gatz

gatz

[/QUOTE] Not very young at all.

None where I lived. Service stations just had a hose on a hanger......help yourself.
    If you wanted to know the PSI, ya brought your own gauge along, or asked for it if the station was open.

15. Cullyflower

Cullyflower

I had a pile of those back in the late sixties early seventies i removed the underground tanks from a lot of gas stations that closed and someone bought them for another use. I don`t remember what i did with them.

16. 5window

5window

Not auto related, but back in college my girlfriend and I bought a two person crosscut saw for 25 cents. Later, we used it to cut logs for milling and building a house. 50 years after that, I still have the saw-and the girl.

What I don't have is a "cents" symbol on my keyboard. :)

¢ yes, I know Alt then 0162 using the side key pad, but it is a pain

17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is a rock wheel?

The street sign reminded me of a blind date I went on once, girl named Camelia. She was a friend of my buddy's girlfriend. Buddy told me she was a little heavy, but had a cute face.

I should have known better.

When we pulled up to her house there were no front steps, just a ramp, some pulleys and a chain hoist.

18. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I found my Packard at an estate sale...
    Eagle Point 4.JPG Eagle Point 8.jpg

lothiandon1940 and Oilguy like this.
  19. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

loololol! don't you love friends like that!!!

20. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

just got these. will get more at round 2 HtRodBook1.jpg HtRodBook2.jpg htRodBook3.jpg htRodBook4.jpg

21. topher5150

topher5150

22. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

The message I am getting is I Should be a garage/estate sale junkie.

23. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

24. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife has a booth at a vintage second hand store. We hit yard/garage sales almost every weekend. Around here most estate sales are run by estate sale services and their prices are usually out of sight but not always. I bought a Mallory dual point for a FE with a bunch of other stuff from a service run sale for 15 bucks. Best was a yard sale find of a set of small block Ford exhaust manifolds for free when I bought the Mustang air cleaner for 2 bucks. Turned a nice profit on those to a Mustang guy on Craigslist.

25. topher5150

topher5150

Squablow likes this.
  26. rlsteel

rlsteel

They are also a great place to keep your garage stocked with supplies

27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I haven’t found too many bargains lately at estate sales, due to companies running them. But just my luck I ran into one on my way to the doc about 39 miles from my house. I was running a little early , so I stopped. There was a gal that was pricing stuff out in the detached barn. I spied a 200 ft very heavy duty homemade extension cord for a welder. I asked how much….she hesitated….then said $10! Well I grabbed that! Then bought some smaller extension cords , grouped, for $5. Then bought four nice medium size chains for $7! As my wife came out of the house , empty handed, she stated “ I knew I shouldn’t have left you alone out in that barn! “

Bones

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  28. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

29. In the fall of 2019 I found a car for sale half way across the country. It was what was left of an estate and they had had trouble selling it. I had been looking for just exactly that car so phoned them and asked if they would hold it, It would be three days before I could get there. Two and a half years later I'm still unsure why they were having trouble selling it. Anyway, I got the car I wanted and for less money than I expected to have to pay. :)
    100_0921.JPG