Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 dodge coupe "Baleful"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oliver westlund, Nov 8, 2021.

1. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Starting to tack things together, no judging! Just temporary so i can find body mount holes, take measurements cut and bend new pieces to replace big sections 20220115_150623.jpg 20220115_150754.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  2. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Little progress tonight, patch panel made from a 27 chevy scrap. 20220116_171314.jpg 20220116_171307.jpg 20220116_171326.jpg

Okie Pete, brEad and scotts52 like this.
  3. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Its not perfect but im happy with the results! Stiffened the body up a ton too
    20220116_171329.jpg 20220116_173804.jpg 20220116_175302.jpg

4. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Made a little grill progress tonight, decided to break out my contour guage, make some marks, grab an old piece of scrap body panel and see what i could do... its a start and i am happy enough with how it turned out. If i can replicate the difficult curves at the top i think ill be able to salvage this grill 20220117_215135.jpg 20220117_220207.jpg 20220117_220747.jpg

Okie Pete likes this.
  5. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

6. Budget36

Budget36

I don’t mean this as a criticism, but your really should spend more time with a disc getting a path of shiny metal before welding, even tacks.
    I’m not saying to grind through till no pits are present, hell. Could be welding tinfoil then;).

7. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Yeah theres barely anything there already, i hit it with the flap disc first but was being very gentle

41 coupe and Budget36 like this.
  8. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Just caught up with this- re the screen surround ... It looks to be sitting low in the corner and higher in the middle. If it has an upward warp that would pull the verticals in at the bottom and create that gap.

Might just need a couple bricks and a size 10 in the middle.

loudbang and oliver westlund like this.
  9. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Good eye, ill take a closer look and i can pull it and adjust if so. Thanks

PhilA likes this.
  10. 1933 Dodge

1933 Dodge

I have a good rust free trunklid in Norhtern Ca if you are interested. Have not posted on HAMB or Ebay yet

oliver westlund likes this.
  11. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Pm sent

12. Trying to salvage all that rotted metal with a Flap Disc as mentioned would NOT be my choice at all. Budget36 is right, you should have clean shiny metal on both sides to eliminate porosity and wire bounce (not to mention fine tuning your Mig machine). For better welds Glass bead blast is the way to go or chemical strip. Blast cabinets are spendy, you can build one out of Plywood on the Cheep with a little effort that would be priceless. Just saying.

oliver westlund and stanlow69 like this.
  13. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Copy that, i have a blaster but its a harbor crap version and it clogs a lot so it sits in the corner. Ill drag it out and give it a try! Thanks

14. Cloging up comes from a couple different things. Damp media, wet air, or poor mix of air/media, not enough air pressure or volume.

15. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I have a moisture separator at the compressor, same one i use to spray paint, i just run it full time. But i do live in oregon and humidity is rampant here. Ill take it apart and investigate a bit!

16. Don't let your feed air hose lay on the ground.

17. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

Anymore progress ??

18. dwollam

dwollam

Oliver and his family are in Central Oregon today cat fishing. They are going to stop by our house later today to gather more pieces.

Dave

19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey Oliver;
    On the sandblast/glassbeading" cabinet thing. Eons ago I needed to blast some '47 ford PU rails that were disassembled down to the single rail, etc. No blasting cabinet avail, much less that big/long, didn't send them out. Was winter, so I did it in the enclosed porch. MN, in ~ Jan/Feb. Very cool, well colder than hell actually, but at least dry. I used large cardboard boxes w/duct tape on edges & seams. Cut arm holes every couple of feet, & taped up holes I wasn't using. Darn if it didn't work well, keeping sand in place. Don't test the cardboard "resilience" or you'll let the sand out. Quickly. Just kept a hand dustbrush n pan in the box, moved sand to where I needed it & filled pail as I went. Worked once, for both sets of rails & crossmembers. Lasted just long enough to finish job. Suction-type sandblaster was from TIP, but I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there, ceramic tips are worth the couple extra bucks, & I used a small air corrector since I had a small air comp.
    Marcus...

Budget36, dwollam and oliver westlund like this.
  20. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Many thanks again dave! Just made it home! Progress coming soon!
    20220320_155339.jpg

Okie Pete, dwollam and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  21. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

G
    Great idea! I did similar years ago with tarps and a 10x10 pop up but cardboard is a sharp idea!

22. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Oliver;
    Well, no, not that good, but it was all I had, or nothing. Worked, sorta. Didn't have that much sand to clean up on the porch floor. & it did allow me to mostly de-rust the frame w/o using the stripper discs or grinding discs. Which I tried 1st, & decided to hell w/that!. Sandblasting was also done slowly & at less pressure than I wanted, due to the comp I had.
    Marcus...

23. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I need to fire up my big comp. Been putting it off way too long

24. 1952henry

1952henry

You are doing an awesome job! Admire your talents.

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Oliver.
    '33/'34 Dodge and Plymouth Coupes are high on my list favorites. Happy for you with such a cool project.

Let's see if we can get you sandblasting without clogging. You mentioned your moisture separator is AT the air compressor. Gotta move it further from the air compressor. Run the air coming out of the compressor through a few feet of pipe or copper tubing to give it a chance to cool and drop its moisture and allow your separator to do its job. A separator can't work when the air is still hot and the moisture is suspended. Go up with your pipe, and then down and then up again a little ways to the outlet. Then to your water separator. At the bottom most section of the piping, install a blow off valve to release accumulated water. And of course, release water from the tank often.
    Remember that the key is to find a way to cool the air well before it gets to the separator. If you really want to cool the air... run it through copper tubing immersed in cold water. That works real good.

Marcia, oliver westlund and PhilA like this.
  26. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I appreciate the compliment, thank you! Always trying to get better!

27. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Great advice, thank you! My water separator has a bowl with a valve, i will add some up and down sections to help it cool. I never even considered that before

brEad likes this.
  28. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I dont know if its genius or stupidity but noticing how the pitting on this shell is, i started tacking tacks to tacks and flap disc away the excess. It seems to be working. I tested it on the corner which seemed most daunting to make a patch for. I think at least for the compound curves itll do the job...anyone else ever tried this? IMG_20220503_133519.jpg

Marcia and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  29. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Out working on my trailer and got a wild hair to patch a 33 fender. Used 20 guage, seemed closest to what was left. Still some work to do but did what i could with the time i had. Trying to buy a house right now so next to zero time 20220519_200600.jpg 20220519_200552.jpg

30. Oilguy

Oilguy

I got rid of the HF gun about 6 years ago and replaced it with one from Scat. Not a single clog issue since. The buckets on the floor were used for straining sand when using the original junk gun. I don't have to strain anything anymore and love using the cabinet. DSC08358.JPG