Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Drag Week 2022

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Hot Rod has announced the tracks and dates for Drag Week 2022. It's going to be HOT!

Registration, Tech Day, and Test ‘n Tune: Sunday, Sept. 18 - Memphis International Raceway, Millington, Tenn.⁠

Racing Day 1: Monday, Sept. 19 - Memphis International Raceway, Millington, Tenn.⁠

Racing Day 2: Tuesday, Sept. 20 - World Wide Technology Raceway, Madison, Ill.⁠

Racing Day 3: Wednesday, Sept. 21 - Beech Bend Raceway, Bowling Green, Ky.⁠

Racing Day 4: Thursday, Sept. 22 - Alabama International Dragway, Steele, Ala.⁠

Racing Day 5: Friday, Sept. 23 - Memphis International Raceway, Millington, Tenn.⁠

I haven't seen anything regarding when registration opens. But I'm planning to be there with the Hemi Coupe!

EDIT: THE TRACKS HAVE CHANGED SINCE I POSTED THIS DUE TO MEMPHIS INTERNATIONAL CLOSING. READ FURTHER TO SEE THE NEW TRACKS.

wheels up.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  2. Jim, wake up! I know it's still early in Arizona.:D;)

3. Thanks Joel. Maybe I can get in this one.:)

4. My son and I are going this year even if we don’t make the 1st round of registrations!
    We are taking my off topic street strip car and looking forward to it!

5. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Im in got rooms already just waiting for registration. Truck is totally apart right now though.

Tony

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Hot damn! Steele AL!! About 2 hours away from me!

7. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

My strategy for the rooms is that I map the ideal route, then try to find a room between the tracks, but within 10 or 15 minutes of the track we will be racing at the next day. But if it's a little further, that's okay because in theory it should be right along the route anyway. What I'm trying to avoid is backtracking.

8. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Tony, what truck are you bringing?

9. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

We need to make sure we meet and say hi, hambers!
    When I woke up this morning, it was -10F air temperature. Where I live, I'm more used to cold than oppressive heat. In 2008, we raced a pretty similar route. It was bowling Green, steele, Montgomery, Memphis, bowling Green. Hurricane Ike was looming. It was so hot and humid, I thought I was going to die. At Montgomery, I was so hot I went behind the concession stand and found a garden hose and just stood there with the hose running over my head and down over my whole body.
    So for 2022, to deal with the heat, I have a plan: get to the gate very early, before the track opens, get my pass in ASAP, pack up, and make a beeline for the air conditioned motel room!

10. squirrel

squirrel

It's a week later this time Joel, so it'll be in the 50s all week.

11. Joel, if you believe what Squirrel just said then I've got some oceanfront property in West Virginia that you may be interested in! :p :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I've been to several drag weeks, it's pretty common to be warm the beginning of the week, and cold the end of the week.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    winduptoy, loudbang and Hemi Joel like this.
  13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot damn! Steele, AL!! About 2 hours away from ME, too! Don't let it scare any of you off but, I'll be the handsome devil in the black HAMB hat! ;)

14. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gives me ten months to get the car done-well, running at least.

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Maybe at Madison IL, but in AL it'll probably be in at least the 80's!

16. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Told my daughter about this and she said, " Hot damn! You're not going without me!! ":D

17. squirrel

squirrel

One thing I've learned is that it's impossible to predict...could be sunny and 100, could be raining and 50. At any of the stops.

Usually, it's survivable, so I don't care too much.

18. Nope, not in Madison, that’s my home track, it should be warmer than that. I’ll be there on Tuesday, I can’t wait to meet you guys!!

19. squirrel

squirrel

I got my rooms...and if they do registration like they have been the past several years, I get to register early, because of my ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ 3rd place finish in my class last year.

alanp561, chryslerfan55, Tman and 5 others like this.
  20. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Same here Hemi Squirrel. I an hoping/expecting my 2nd place finish in 2021 will earn me a shot at early registration.

Will be be seeing Almost Funny at DW2022?

SS327, chryslerfan55, Tman and 2 others like this.
  21. lake_harley

lake_harley

I really like the locations. I'm only about 3 Hr. from Memphis and 1 1/2 Hr from Madison, IL (St Louis)

I may have to try to take in a couple days.

Lynn

22. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

See you in Madison Il.

loudbang, mad mikey and lake_harley like this.
  23. CycleTech

CycleTech
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need a co-pilot?

24. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The proper term among the drag week faithful is Trunk Monkey.

25. CycleTech

CycleTech
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stand corrected. Trunk Monkey it is.

26. I would happily Trunk Monkey for any of you guys! I’m pretty good at working on cars!

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

working on cars isn't really what is required....getting lost properly, following vague directions, is the most important task

Hemi Joel, winduptoy, SS327 and 7 others like this.
  28. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

A certain level of compatibility between the trunk monkey and the driver is a requirement. You spend an entire week together. In the car, at the restaurants, sharing a motel room. It's a lot of togetherness.
    Plus you have to know that you can count on each other to always do your part, to work like a team, and not have to wonder if the other guy did his job.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From reading Joel's side kick's stories from last year I'd say being able to read and comprehend less than stellar directions and navigate to the next hotel are primary trunk Monkey functions outside of the car prep for track or road. Still that sounds like a fun one this year.