Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest So, how traditional are you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 13, 2022.

?
  1. Hard core! I make Mark Moriarity look like a street rodder

36 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Traditionally inspired, I love the look, but I like a few modern conveniences

173 vote(s)
    73.0%
  3. I am a closet street rodder that likes to hang out with hoodlums

15 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. I just got here, where's the LS swap section?

13 vote(s)
    5.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Traditionally inspired, I love the look, but I like a few modern conveniences".

That's where I am, all right. I think the best description would be that if you are a die hard traditionalist, then you must keep at least 15' between you and the car....and no peeking underneath.

2. All the stuff you whiners constantly kvetch about IS traditional. Monochrome heartbeat graphics, tweed upholstery, is traditional 1980-90s style. I think you guys need a different term. Maybe Modified Restorations? Clarify is important.

I just call mine a hot rod.

Paul, RMR&C, Roothawg and 4 others like this.
  3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I voted "traditionally inspired" but that isn't really it. I've articulated my philosophy about this on here before: I'm about the embodied technological ethos, because I have severe misgivings about where that has been going especially in the past 35 years or so. So, I want an alternative timeline, a counterfactual speculation about all the technology we didn't get because the Powers that Be pushed the technology we did get. My dream car is the car of 2022 had a lot of political economy happened differently. It happens to be shaped roughly like a Model A ...

Paul and Roothawg like this.
  4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Many hide behind Traditional as an excuse for doing poor quality and imcomplete work.
    Yet on the other hand others could take a leaf out of the book of some of our stars on this forum who do an excellent job and are not hindered by purity, which IMHO is fictious anyway...

osage orange, Tman, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Now, keep in mind I am talking about “hot rods and customs”, not restorations.

Your grandma’s 1964 all original Fury 4 door with the original air in the tires isn’t really what I am talking about.

chevy57dude and Dan Hay like this.
  6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Deflection...
    I've been here a while. It's the "traditional" guys and or traditional cars that get chastised. It's the traditional guys that get called awful names. Just read through this thread, it's been partially deleted but what camp slung first nasty name?
    It's always the "resto-mod" guys that have the chip on their shoulders.

7. Anderson

Anderson

There was a thread here the other day about early ford door handle pads…apparently there was a paper based material used while everything you can buy now is rubber. Someone said the details like that matter and they would only ever use the paper ones because they were “correct.” That is the kind of paint mark and date code checking 100 point restoration “traditionalism” that I am completely out on. When it comes to building a car, I’m going to nail the look and have as many of the right parts as I can get, but I’m not about to start worrying about the door handle pads on my hot rod.

8. How traditional am I? I don't even like that I have to use modern air in my tires!

adam401 likes this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

I actually sell period correct air. It’s not cheap though….

10. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

I don't make enough money for my car to be 100% period correct, but I would like it to be. Radial tires that came on the car, the upholstery that is fine, the Aluminum radiator that is serving as a place holder while I save up to have my stock one re-cored.
    One day it will be right

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

All I want is overdrive,radio and modern tires and if a old school overdrive is not available then it will be a T-5. I want to be able to go the speed limit without the engine screaming and will go electronic ignition if it can look like a points system.

12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Why does there have to be name calling? But seriously, the traditionalists get chastised? Here? You got to be joking. I guess whatever you're referring to has been cleaned up, because I don't see any nasty names. But I never see anyone chastise traditional cars or builders. You got any examples?

13. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

No, I'm not joking.
    It was a reference to a certain regime that came to power in 1933. See post #50.:rolleyes:
    It happens all the time.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It's out of context I guess, but it looks more like he's talking about the attitudes some guys have of others, not a criticism of building/owning traditional hot rods. Still, like I said above, why does there have to be name calling at all?

loudbang and 210superair like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I think some folks get the idea that if someone says that something about their car is off topic for the HAMB, it's meant as an insult.

ClarkH, Tman, Squablow and 6 others like this.
  16. Roothawg

Roothawg

This is all in fun guys.

In the words of the great prophet, Bill Murray “Lighten up Francis”. :)

jim snow, Tman, NoSurf and 2 others like this.
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

And once again , I repeat, a vintage engine is not screaming at 3000 rpm , its just cruising ...

rod1, F-ONE and Blues4U like this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

...and once again, points have never left me stranded, but electronic ignition has.

19. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Yes we have been spoiled by new OT daily drivers and have forgotten how high the old engines turned at highway speeds. The mpg sucked but gas only cost 25 cents a gal when I was 13 when I started driving on my farm license vs what I pay now

20. chop&drop

chop&drop

I definitely fall into the “traditionally inspired” group. My deuce roadster has hinges and handles, solid color single stage paint, traditionally inspired rolled and pleated upholstery, analog gauges, three pedals a sbc and buggy springs. It doesn’t have any billet, a radio, heat or air or even a windshield wiper. I do however have front discs and radials because I believe they offer enhanced performance. Everyone should build what they want and not worry so much about whether or not someone else’s build meets what they believe to be “traditional”. That said, I don’t want to see any LS’s, Coyotes, ring headlights, etc. here.

jimgoetz, figure8, tomcat11 and 2 others like this.
  21. NoSurf

NoSurf

Didn't Sargent Hulka say that in the movie?

[​IMG]

(Who also starred in 2 lane blacktop...)

Jrs50, jim snow and Tman like this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

You know, you may be right. The great prophet Sgt. Hulka.

jim snow and NoSurf like this.
  23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

As to the brake , IF the operator does not exceed the capabilities of his braking system ,there should be no problem . you wouldn't attempt to pass a vehicle going 70 mph with a model A banger ,or drive a moped on the freeway ...

24. Jones St.

Jones St.

So air/200r-700r/cruise/tilt/T5'd/Lsx off forbidden here.................but it's not. K.

25. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

4,000 RPM all the way to Lead Ain't Dead and back.
    Still working on the Smithy drone...;)

stanlow69, Roothawg and guthriesmith like this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

I feel your pain.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.

27. Now that's not to say a won't use any modern parts. Sometimes for strength, or availability there's no other alternative but only where they can't be seen, I can hide or disguise them.

I am running ARP 460 rod bolts in all my 261s Chevys.

On my vintage stockcar build I have no choice but to run modern racing shocks, but I also bought Tie-Rod shock conversion to hide them as much as I could.

I put seat belts in my 53 Chevy but they are period correct re-pops.

upload_2022-1-14_12-24-50.png

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Roothawg likes this.
  28. figure8

figure8

what he said

Roothawg likes this.
  29. I'm so traditional that I still use corn cobs in the outhouse

Screenshot_20220114-123220_Google.jpg

30. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty traditional, I believe. The waistline on my Wrangler's rides above my hips and my cigarettes are rolled up in my left Tee-shirt sleeve. When I bought a new, off-topic stick shift pickup a few years ago and my wife climbed in on the passenger side. I watched in amusement while she looked for the switch to lower the window and when she finally asked me where it was, I told her, " It's that crank handle down there on the door." She could not believe that I would buy a new truck with manual windows. Traditional enough for ya' ? ;)

RMR&C, Bandit Billy, NoSurf and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.