Register now to get rid of these ads!

History HAVE YOU EVER INHERITED A HOT ROD OR CUSTOM?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 11, 2022.

1. We have all read stories of a man that built a hot rod or custom back in the 40's & 50's and left it to a family member or a old friend because the owner what a certain person to end up with their prized possession.

Which is the reason for the question, has a family member or a close friend left you a hot rod, custom or a hamb friendly car or truck in their will?

If so, tell us about it. HRP

Rickybop, wicarnut, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Happened to me several times. The last episode was a guy I helped keep his trucks running - all '55 - '57 GMC half tons. When cancer got him, he left them to me. Every time I see a brown & white custom cab GMC, I get a little wet in the eyes.

3. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

im available for adoption in case anyone is interested.....

4. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

5. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems I've seen a similar thread before. Answer is still yes.

Rickybop and 3W JOHN like this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My ten year old grandsons name is on both of my projects, tools and scratch to help him. I've got family help if I don't make it another eight years but they will be his....

7. 48stude

48stude

I helped a really close friend build this 33 about 18 to 20 yrs ago. About 7 yrs ago he quit driving the car with no real explanation. In Dec 2020 , he suffered a stroke that led to his passing in March 2021. He had gifted the car to me in his will. I had a hard time emotionally dealing with the loss of my great friend. My son and I thrashed on the car to get it drivable so it could be driven to a memorial cruise that we had in his honor. Bill
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just Gary, sidewayzz69, clem and 23 others like this.
  8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yup, as I like to say, “I got it the hard way”

9. brjnelson

brjnelson

I have my Gr Gr Grandfathers car he bought new, he was my Grandmothers, Grandfather.
    Late 31 A Tudor Deluxe
    One owner family

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I had a friend named Ernie, we built cars, raced together and attended car events 7 states. We built Track Roadsters in the 90's, I sold mine after 8 years, Ernie kept his. A year and a half ago, he was diagnosed with brain cancer, and had only a short time left. He gave me his car, and passed away 3 weeks later. He kissed the hood, just before I towed it away. We are very lucky to have friends to share the hobby.TTACH=full]5284311[/ATTACH] 184.JPG 187.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

....great friends ...great times....no sorrow after they are gone.. do you want someone feeling sorrow when youre gone ....remember the good times baby....

12. Nope, I got a tractor for selling a neighbour’s farm, and inherited a ford farm truck-1981 with a 300 six, she was no hot rod, that is as close as I got. I have gotten to share a metric tonne of experiences, stories and some parts with a great bunch of guys that are still with us. Every day is precious.

13. jim snow

jim snow

Great story. You must cherish it. Snowman ⛄️

14. Nope, closest I have come to inheriting a vehicle is my dad's 67 Fairlane and his 85 Tempo, don't think anyone would consider them hot rods or customs. But I love the Fairlane.

15. 24riverview

24riverview

A good friend of mine passed on October 10th, he left a letter stating that I had choice of a vehicle from his collection of 50 plus. For various reasons I chose his 48 coupe. First pic is what it looked like when he first got it and around the time I converted to 12v for him. Second pic is when I brought it home. Still has a later flathead in it but was surprised to see a 9" and parallel leafs underneath when we loaded it, I didn't know he'd had that done.
    Resized_20211217_162539-2.jpeg Resized_20211212_165005-1.jpeg

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy oh boy...
    This thread is already both smiles and tears.
    Awesome.

17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

18. I have always felt that for most of us, the hot rods we have are a extension of ourselves . Nice to see these cars going to a good home after the owner has unfortunately passed on. Take good care of them guys.:)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  19. I was supposed to inherit my uncle's '56 T-bird and his son was supposed to get the '56 Vette. Unfortunately, my Aunt got Alzheimers and had to go to the rest home. 'Nuff said.

20. 5window

5window

Close. My aunt, a true little old lady librarian, gifted me her original, bought as new, 1965 Mustang. Bill's Auto Works lovingly hauled it from NH to PA for me. I know this isn't a HAMB friendly car, but all the sentiments involved are truly traditional and to own it is still cool as hell.

21. 5window

5window

Did you every hear of this? I used to live very near. Supposedly done to get into Ripley's Believe It or Not.

Mountain is an unincorporated community in Ritchie County, West Virginia, United States. Mountain is located in extreme northeastern Ritchie County along West Virginia Route 74 and the Hughes River, 6.2 miles (10.0 km) north-northeast of Pennsboro.[2] The community was known as Mole Hill prior to 1949, when residents requested that the name be changed to Mountain[1] as part of a publicity stunt to literally make a mountain out of a molehill. Despite the name, there is no mountain in or even visible from the community.[3] The post office ultimately closed on November 9, 2002.[4]

The Hot Rod Grille and 3W JOHN like this.
  22. I use the name Mole Hole jokingly. The town is actually Mokelumne Hill, lovingly referred to by locals as Moke Hill. The town is roughly the size of a large mole hill.

3W JOHN likes this.
  23. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Nothing wrong with that.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My 37 came from my great uncle to my dad then to me and my 55 sunliner also came from my dad.

3W JOHN, Rickybop and mad mikey like this.
  25. I totally agree with John, that's a inherited gift I wouldn't mind being in my garage. HRP

26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My Dad gave me the 1937 Ford 1 1/2 ton truck I rode in from California to Oklahoma on highway 66 in Oct 1957.Also the 1949,Mercury he bought for his Dad, but he didn’t like it.

Just the other day I gave a 1956;Buick Roadmaster to my neighbor , after I figured out it belonged to his grandfather!

Bones

27. 327Eric

327Eric

I have inherited the dissassembled pile of parts that were the unrealized dream of several relatives and friends.

3W JOHN, Rickybop and mad mikey like this.
  28. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Nope, but oh how I wish...

3W JOHN likes this.
  29. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

48 uncles.jpg 48.jpg My mom gave me this after my dad passed. He never finished it. The first pic is from when he first bought it home in the 70's. the second is as of a couple of summers ago when I chopped it.

30. 32fenderless

32fenderless

My uncle left me his 49 Chev truck. He was like a second father to me. He had many cars and hobbies over the years and recently got back into cars. He died of a brain tumor less than 6 months of buying the truck. We had made some changes together to it to make it Mo Betta. I have driven it about 40k miles over the last 8 years.
    He is my daughters guardian angel. As a teenager she would sit it in when she was going through stuff.
    Every time I drive I think of the good times we had. I bought my first hot rod from him. 30 model a coupe highboy while a sophomore in high school 1989.
    Her posing with it at prom.

Attached Files:

enloe, sidewayzz69, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.