Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical POWER WINDOW MOTOR HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nate89, Jan 10, 2022.

1. nate89

nate89
    from Long Beach

So one of my windows on my 56 Lincoln won’t roll up or down. I removed the motor and tested it outside of the car and it works perfect. I have the original breaker and relay in the circuit and tested those as well and no issues. So I tested the relay with the motor connected and I am getting my 12v to the relay and also to the output for up/down but there is a 4th prong to my relay where a green wire goes directly to my motor that is not getting any power. But once I disconnect it from the motor I’ll read power on the prong. Does anyone know why this is?

Attached Files:

2. theboss20

theboss20

In ‘56 a Lincoln would be Positive Ground…this may be your issue if you wired it to a Negative ground.

Truck64 likes this.
  3. Lincoln changed to 12 volt and switched to neg. ground for vehicles built in '56.

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

My F100 drivers door had intermittent power window issues.
    Turned out to be a dodgey wire into the motor, probably caused by much door slamming especially since it was my drivers door and the door most often used.
    I took that motor out several times and it always worked OK.
    Put it back in and one time it would work and the next door slam it would not...

lothiandon1940, RICH B and egads like this.

5. 24riverview

24riverview

If it operates like other Ford products of the mid 50's the green wire is switched on by the relay in both up and down operation. Check to be sure you have a good voltage supply to the Red/blue wire feeding the relay and if so you nay need to gently remove the relay cover and check/clean the contacts for the green wire. (all this is assuming it wired the same as similar year T bird)

6. nate89

nate89
    from Long Beach

So it is the same motor and I’m assuming wiring as the t bird. I did remove the the relay off of the passenger side since that one is working fine and still having the same issue. What is just weird to me is that when I disconnect the green wire from the relay I have 12v switched. But once I attach it back to the relay and read voltage it’s 0. I had thought maybe there was a short with the wiring in the motor. But I bench tested the motor with no issues. Anyones input I really appreciate I’m just super confused at this point.

7. egads

egads

Have you swapped switches from the good side to the bad side?

8. nate89

nate89
    from Long Beach

I didn’t do that yet. But I cleaned the contacts on the switch just in case. But when move the switch up and down I am getting 12v on my up/ down on the relay

9. egads

egads

A bad switch can show 12v with no load, but nothing with a load on it.

Rramjet1 likes this.
  10. nate89

nate89
    from Long Beach

Ohh okay good to know I’ll try swapping it.

11. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

You beat me to it. I was an Aircraft Electrician in the USAF and we used test lights a lot for this reason.