Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's this noise on start up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 1, 2022.

1. 1ton

1ton

I suppose that now would be a really bad time to take a selfie and use it as your avatar.
    It's break time.

2. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

The ones I always used were the Mr. Gasket 1015 clips.

3. Deep breaths man…it ran before so backtrack what you did changing rockers.:)

At least that’s what my wife would tell me if it was me throwing a fit!

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

5. I swear I think it has no compression. I'll back it off to zero lash in the morning, maybe with the starter cooled down it'll crank enough to try it. Then I'm shoving the bastard out of my shop and building a new engine for it. ;)

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Take all the plugs out don't hook up the coil, crank it over tell you get compression on all cylinders then you should be good. You just need to give the lifters time to bleed off, unless you had collapses the lifers before you gave it the 1/2 turn.

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I never had a good set of lifters that bled off overnight. I have fired up engines that sat for a long time that fired right up with no lifter clatter. When I rebuilt an engine I would set the valves(hydraulic) with the intake manifold off and I could see when I had zero lash by watching the lifter plunger and looked for zero lash by the plunger. When the pushrod and rocker had 0 lash I gave them a half turn and started it. If you have a lifter that bleeds off right away how do you know you are at zero lash? Junk lifters do that. Good lifters hold pressure. I know I know I'm thinking of good lifters. If you think the valves are being held open, back them off one at a time and feel the pushrod carefully. If you are sure, pretty sure anyway, and it takes a fine touch to know when you are at zero or close. Start there and fire it up. Take them all down a little, if you have a few making noise thats ok. now listen for the noisiest ones and take them down to no clatter. When you have no noise and it's still running, start backing them off one at a time and adjust them. JMO. BTW, the rocker clips are the deal. :) Lippy

chryslerfan55, egads and hotrodjack33 like this.
  8. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

The last time I did a cam swap, I tried a method I picked up here on the HAMB. I bent a piece of .023 MIG wire into a right angle feeler gauge and tightened the rocker 'til I could get the .023 between the pushrod cup in the lifter and the wire retainer. My fuzzy math figured that was zero lash + about a half turn. Of course, you have to have the intake off, so you may not want to do it this way. When I did this, I was done. No adjustment since.

Gary

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was gonna say to run the engine without the distributor installed to see if that's the problem. But you can't even get it running, so I guess that won't work.

427 sleeper likes this.
  10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ricky, ???:)

427 sleeper and Moriarity like this.
  11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

An engine won't run without the dist installed, unless you meant to try another one...

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or Richard Cranium in more formal circles.:cool:

14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ricky, Mark nailed it, I misunderstood. :LOL

Moriarity likes this.
  15. tomcat11

tomcat11

Check the ashtray. If it's full, sell it. :D:eek::D

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just being Goofy. Injecting some levity into this
    &%$@#%*mf*"!:+/,@:#
    engine sitiation.
    I should include a funny face when I'm purposely being an idiot.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You drilled out the pushrod holes on an assembled engine ?

18. I sure did.

19. That sumbitch is haunted. Pull it, dig a hole, bury it, burn a pile of old beer boxes on top of it and be done. Then find a 292" inliner and go for it!

20. spanners

spanners

Pull the engine, sell it for next to nothing because it's shitting you and then hear from the buyer that you hadn't attached XYZ fitting and now it runs a treat.

Fitty Toomuch and Budget36 like this.
  21. This all started for us with crappy drinks at bars and restaurants. One place comes close, with the big olives and a pickle slice on a stick. We just next leveled it.

What is the chislik thing?

22. This is a great way to see if you have a bum lifter.

lippy and ClayMart like this.
  23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@Lloyd's paint & glass since I can confuse myself very easily and forget what I did a moment ago (which does not get better with time o_O) I opt to do each lifter one by one. I'll roll engine over until give'n push rod is at it's highest point and stop (rocker loose and swung off to the side so as not to compress lifter). I then stick a magnet on the crank pulley at 12 o'clock. I'll then roll engine over one turn so magnet is back at 12 o'clock then set my pre-load. Make sense? Does it take longer? Sure, but how long is redoing it over and over in comparison is how I looked at it. :)

24. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I appreciate a good next leveling.

chislik (could be wrong spelling) is deep fried stew-meat-sized chunks of deer (usually). Most folks have their own recipe and guard it closely. Some are dry rubs, some mostly Italian dressing, etc. It’s a hit.

John

chryslerfan55 and bobss396 like this.
  25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

https://honest-food.net/south-dakota-chislic-recipe/

26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm confused...are you suggesting Lloyd replace his lifters and push rods with pickles on a stick?:eek:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  27. Holy shit I Never Seen something Like That & I built A Lot of Engines
    Back in the Day.!
    I Would Hang that Piston in your Garage over your Toolbox as a Reminder

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

28. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

When you adjusted the lifters without the motor running, it takes time to bleed down AND you stand a chance of kissing a piston IF hi lift cam AND you crank right away .
    I know you have your method which would work fine for stock cams BUT with a hi lift you should adapt the to adjust to zero lash by spinning the pushrod and rotate engine till all are at zero then crank to set preload .

29. squirrel

squirrel

you really run that little valve to piston clearance, that 1/2 turn on the rocker nut will cause interference?

30. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Use to .
    If the valve is open and the lifter isnt bleeding down and you have a high lift cam = YES POSSIBLE. Take the 3/8 thread pitch ,dang forgot the formula, sucks gett old . Anyway once my brain starts working its thread pitchs distance travelled in 1\2 turn multiplied by 1.5 for rocker arm . Dang this use to be second nature , like remembering my name . Shoot that’ll be next . Anyway there is a POSSIBILITY, if the lift , timing , valve clearance to begin with and how fast the lifter leaks down , that cranking will kiss a piston .

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    fauj, chryslerfan55 and ClayMart like this.