Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's this noise on start up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 1, 2022.

1. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Its not physically the distributor, its the crossfire out of time combustion or dual combustion that creates a noise . Like I said , it only happened once in my 40 yr career. At least only once that I found .

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

If cracked ,they crack up around the bolts to crankshaft .
    The flywheel crack is the MOST likely.

3. True dat, some times you have to sit down and "drink" about a problem.

chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.
  4. The OG Bloody Mary WAS made with beer....

We've been mixing up Bloody Marys lately with 100-proof Smirnoff vodka, 2 oversized shots of that, 1 shot of 190-proof grain alcohol, a spicy store bought mixer, 3 big green oilves, a celery stalk and 3 or 4 jumbo shrimp hanging onto the rim of the glass.

Gin and tonics, 2 oversize shots of Bombay Sapphire gin, 1 shot of grain alcohol, 1/2 a lime cut in 3 pieces and Tonic water, not the diet stuff.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    chryslerfan55 and Ebbsspeed like this.
  5. Have you had a stethoscope on it yet? That would help narrow it down quite a bit.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just having trouble thinking the following series of events caused the flexplate to crack. The noise wasn't there until he:

"Did the cam swap and put a tunnel ram, carb, and distributor on it."

7. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

You’re correct, I thought he had the exhaust open and possibly didnt hear it .

8. Man, Lloyd, it’s like you have a job and life or something. Can’t believe you would just leave everyone here hanging like this for what seems like forever. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I had one knock similar to this once and it had to do with drinking while assembling a motor... I was 18 and had one of those timing chains with three keyways and three different style dots to line up for straight up, 4 degrees retarded or 4 degrees advanced. Come to find out I lined up some wrong dots and valves were smacking pistons. It would never really ran quite right although ran pretty decent and didn’t give any real indication of my major screw up. I finally figured it out after going for a break-in drive that ended when one of the valves broke off and sent a piston through a cylinder wall. Broke a nice set of ported double hump heads and windowed a block all because of a few too many beers that night clouding my judgement... :(

9. Yeah it's not easy being me lol, people just wouldn't believe how busy I stay. The noise is only on the right side, towards the back of the engine. But if it was something hitting, I wish it would just break so I'd know! Lmao! I've cranked it up tight, kind of a durability test, and it hasn't changed.

10. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Oil pump drive shaft plastic link come off the shaft ? Could of . But ... did you but a gasket , or two under the distributor? Did the distributor seat easy ? Did the new distributor have the correct type of drive gear, i remember brass on some aftermarket distributors instead of the normal steel .

11. Don't know about the plastic coupler, I didn't look lol, but it has a steel gear and one gasket on it. Went in fine

chryslerfan55 and gary macdonald like this.
  12. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Damn Lloyd almost 10 pages. :D

427 sleeper likes this.
  13. Take about 3 Drink's & Watch some Tele and fall asleep on the
    cough & rethink it the Next day. or so you will figuer it out

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

14. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah... 'Ol Boy's got a hell of a following, don't he? :cool:

mad mikey likes this.
  15. Yeah, and I appreciate all of the responses. Initial question was hoping that somebody would say "yeah that's this".... but I've checked every lead and it's still there. Regardless to what it is, the thing has gotta come back apart, so it'll all work out in the end. Or I could just lie and say it was a socket laying on the back of the intake. Lol

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well... Was it??? LOL!!! :D:D:D

17. No, I left #8 loose just to mess with you guys

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe it was that always missing 10 mm socket?

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"Can't we do both"
    [​IMG]

20. Can I use self centering rockers on the old style head? I've seen it done, just asking the pros

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yes. Need to check clearance where push rod goes thru head. Most often those holes are drilled out to insure that there will not be any interference issues.

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Only if you drill out the push rod hole in the head.

23. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could just be a plugged push rod... have you tried blowing through it with compressed air? That surely looks like a lotta lack of oil...:D

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

By the way. How does the valve tip look?

25. Valve tips look new, and that part of the rocker is fine. There's horrible wear on the intake rocker, there's a ledge and it clicks when you work it back and forth with the ball. Yes all pushrods were cleaned. It's oiling great, but that doesn't mean it always was.

26. In a strange way, I'll bet you were happy to see that.
    :rolleyes:

chryslerfan55 and 427 sleeper like this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

swap it for a rocker on the other side of the engine, see if the noise moves. Don't cost nuthin.

28. Hell I'm almost done switching them out now

29. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lived in SoDak for a few years, which is where a local friend told be about the SD martini. I do appreciate your recipes though, and now I’m going to have to try them.

How about posting your chislik recipe?

John