Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods INSPECTION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod316, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Budget36

Budget36

We’ve officially gone off the rails on the Crazy Train!

2. 5window

5window

Oh, I think the crazy train is doing just fine, accelerating,even.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Budget36, Joe Blow, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  3. What car did you build?

4. SS327

SS327

He said he built an O.T. 88 Yugo GVX. You know a muscle car.

5. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Now this here's a story about the HAMB Line
    Well the HAMB Line she runs down around the world
    There's a big tollgate down there and you know
    If you got certain things on board when you go through the tollgate
    Well you don't have to pay the man no toll
    Well a FNG he pulled up to the tollgate
    And a man hollered and asked him what all he had on board and said
    I got tra-ditional
    I got tra-ditional
    I got photos
    I got measurements
    I got details
    I got questions
    I got all tra-ditional
    Well he said you're alright boy you don't have to pay no toll
    You can just go right on through so he went on through the tollgate
    And as he went through he started pickin' up a little bit of speed
    Pickin' up a little bit of steam
    He got on through he turned and looked back at the man he said
    Well I fooled you
    I fooled you
    I got no detail
    I got no detail
    I got no old detail
    Down the HAMB Line she's a mighty good road
    HAMB Line it's the road to ride
    HAMB Line it's a mighty good road
    Well if you ride it you got to ride it like you find it
    Get your ticket at the station for the HAMB Line

(with sincere apologies to Johnny Cash).

Cheers,
    Harv

Budget36 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SS327, Joe Blow and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

8. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

So what ever happened? did he get the inspection or is he content to be disgruntled like the rest of us

hotrodjack33, Joe Blow and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. Maybe He and his car are moving out of Ohio?:D

10. 5window

5window

Oh,so a happy ending? :)

hotrodjack33, Joe Blow and mad mikey like this.
  11. train-collapse-gif.gif

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Andrew Dice Clay fan?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  13. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

So, years ago I'm driving along on a mountain road, maybe doing 40 mph and as I round a corner a group of deer run into the road way I locked up the brakes and missed the main group, but a three point buck runs into the side of my truck, as I pulled over and looked back hes lying in the middle of the road. I'm thinking I cant just leave him there, so I decided to take him home and skin him, leaving it in the road to rot would be the crime to me. I grabbed a large hunting knife one with a ten inch blade and started to walk back to him and as I approached he started to regain consciousness and staggered to his feet and then ran across the road, as I stood there watching him jump a fence and disappear a family drove by, all with terrified looks on their faces, all they saw was a crazy guy standing on a dark lonely road with a big knife in his hand. Thats when I noticed it

SS327, Wanderlust, WalkerMD and 5 others like this.
  14. twenty8

twenty8

I would like to hear their side of the story.............:D

15. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Thats when I noticed it.
    My license plate was one number off, I had been talking on the phone to my insurance agent earlier in the day and given him the number off the front plate on my truck and he kept insisting that it didn't go to anything and there was no record of such a plate number. The rear plate ended in 21 the front plate ended in 22, the next day I called motor vehicles and explained it to them and they said, thats not possible, I said well yes it is, thats exactly what I have. The person I was speaking to said that I was mistaken. OK, I still have the mismatched plates on my truck after all these years and it doesn't seem to be a problem as the rear plate is the plate of record. It is futile to argue with the MV dept.

16. DMV's are stupid. WV says my wife's 1962 Falcon is a 1963 even though the VIN says 1962. It has two YOM plates on it. The registered 1963 WV Centennial plate on the rear and the correct 1962 plate on the front. Tail lights and front turn signals say 1962 so when someone comments that is the wrong year plate. I just tell them to tell the DMV that and look at the front. Several comments about hos stupid they are in Charleston and walk away shaking their heads. Here is my '55 T-Bird with a "1955" YOM plate. Google the answer and it will make you scratch your head and say, "WTF."
    100_0301.JPG

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  17. Back in the 70's & 80's South Carolina had a mandatory safety inspection program that was available at state approved service stations, they had to be renewed every year, at first they were hard nosed about it, nothing got a pass.

As time passed some of the stations got the reputation of selling the inspection stickers to anyone that had 20 bucks, if you didn't have a sticker you couldn't get a license plate. HRP

[​IMG]

hotrodjack33 and warhorseracing like this.
  18. 5window

5window

Somewhere in between is a good idea.

hotrodjack33 and XXL__ like this.
  19. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I registered my avatar in 2020. As it is modified, it needs both an engineers report and a state-approved safety inspection. It will be easy they said...

07:30: Engineers report in hand. Complete safety inspection as quickly as the workshop opens.
    08:30: drive across town and front up to motor registry, first in the queue for when the registry opens. Submit paperwork, and the magic licence plates land on the desk.
    08:35: they don't like the wording on my statutory declaration for ownership (it's been more than a decade and several house moves... I can't find the receipt). Write out a new statutory declaration under their supervision.
    08:45: now the numbers don't match - my application forms use the subframe number, as does the safety report. Engineering certificate uses the plate on the firewall. Cannot correct the error. No interest in walking outside and looking at the vehicle. Dead stop, can't process anything. License plates go back out to storage again. I remind myself I will not say bad words.
    09:00: back across to the safety inspection workshop. Mechanic now has coffee onboard, and sympathy for my plight. Stops working on the long queue of cars and does another safety inspection for me, using firewall plate numbers.
    09:30: back to the motor registry. The queue is now longer, but tolerable. New motor registry/ person has more sympathy. Fill out all new paperwork. Fill out new statutory declaration. The magic license plates come out again.
    09:45: Motor registry person turns a terrible shade of white, and calls in the supervisor. Long discussion, lots of pointing at my paperwork. Comes back and informs me that there is a problem with the engine, and they need to do an investigation. Is it stolen? Can't say, we just need to investigate. Magic plates go back away again.
    11:30: Shouldn't have had a cup of coffee for breakfast. A man can only hold it so long, and it's not helping my impending sense of doom. Ask permission, then duck across the road to visit the ablutions. Come back to find the queue 50m out the door. Explain to the security guard (two security guards... at the motor registry... the world has changed) that I was being served, and had to duck out to answer the call of nature. Get the third degree on who/what/where/when, then get waved inside. It would be easier to get entrance to the Pentagon than the motor registry an hour before closing time.
    12:00: Some questions arrive - when did I buy the car? when did I buy the engine? was it from the same person? can I remember any details? It has been more than a decade, and most of that information has been dissolved in a decades worth of beer. Tell them what I can.
    12:15: Engine is apparently stolen. Police have been contacted, awaiting their feedback. I'm wondering if orange will suit my complexion, because the way this is headed I'm going to Guantanamo.
    12:45: Motor registry has closed, last of the customers being served. This is not looking good.
    12:50: Police send back a report that the engine was stolen, but recovered. System was just not updated. All good. Magic plates come back out again.
    13:00: Check paperwork, gently hold magic plates, and remove myself from the premises before something else goes wrong.

Cheers,
    Harv

20. WV's has certainly went this way. There are a few reputable stations where a legitimate safety check is performed, mainly dealers but some independents. The Legislature has attempted to repeal it but there are numerous owners that buy their way through them. For $14.00 they are supposed to; check all lights and turn signals, horn and wipers, tread depth on each tire and record it, check front and rear suspension, measure each brake pad or shoe and record it, overall visual check for broken windows and rust perforation, exhaust leak check, pollution controls visual check, check operating vehicle for any "Check Engine" warnings. Each mechanic can only perform eight in an eight hour day, station pays $2.25 per sticker, Regulated by the legislature that they can only charge the $14.00, station must pay overhead and the mechanic out of the $11.75 remaining. Easy to see where the corner cutting is by the stations.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  21. 5window

5window

It's hard too believe any independent would want to do them. Unless they're generating a lot of "needed repairs". Both my dailies have "Lifetime Inspections" from the dealers but I pay an independent I know will do a good job and keep me safe. I am happy to pay for that. My '31 goes to a different shop where they appreciate the very limited mileage accumulated. Otherwise I use "antique plates" that don't require annual inspections.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    hotrodjack33 likes this.
  22. Exactly what they do. Replace tie rod ends, brakes, need or not and probably not. Exorbitant labor rates charged with no flat rate quotes and most people don't know. Like the guy at the full service gas station when he washed your windshield he would nick your wiper blade and sell you new ones.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  23. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

24. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Probably worth a bit of money to a licence plate collector, especially if they come with documentation.:D

25. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I am kind of interested in the process for registering a home built/ kit car/contraption as over time I've collected enough stuff to build an open wheel sports car thing. It would appear to be important what you call it, I was going to build it strictly for the track, but realistically it might be fun to do on street events as well which would require it to be licensed and insured