Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's this noise on start up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Pickle juice and moonshine brother :D

2. Lloyd, I think you are right to tear it down and this will also give you peace of mind when you find the exact problem. I have been in these types of situations many times. It will all work out big guy.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a native South Dakotan I have to correct you on what you call a South Dakota martini. Maybe that's how you make 'em in Oregon, but it ain't right.
    • 1/2 pint of domestic lager
    • 1/2 pint of tomato juice.
    • 4-10 green olives, to taste.
    • 2-4 pickle slices, to taste.
    Mix that shit together, and enjoy your BEERTINI, which is what we called them.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Cam gear bolts loose?

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now, THAT'LL put some sweat on your brow. Whew.

6. 6sally6

6sally6

I know SBF's ......sooooo you're on-your-on!
    J/K!!!

I'm sorta in the upper cylinder crew!
    IF it wasn't mak'in a racket before the Thumper install......but it IS now........well sounds like that might be the area-of-issue!
    Hope you didn't bend valves or flatten lobes ( you would be able to see that with the VC off so.....)
    Hop'in it ain't nuth'in to worry about.
    6sally6

7. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

You should not be able to push the valve down with your hand , at least not me . Thats why I asked . If springs are set up wrong I don’t think its your noise . This has bothered me and I was a pretty good diagnostician, this came to me last night . Highly unusual but it happened to me just once , a cracked distributor cap , spark was crossfiring ( guessing ) and make a noise like a wristpin/ cracked piston . Unusual feature was as I shorted the spark to each cyl , the noise didnt go away , if I remember correctly. I hope its that simple .
    Ive got 23 sbc hanging around, all rebuilt, including 1 dz 302 , 2 lt-1 (1970 ) 1 ce 350 370hp , various 400s and a mo302 , if you were near me , we could remove yours and replace with a 305 stocker till we find the noise .

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

sounds like a cracked flexplate to me.....they crack around the bolt holes where it bolts to the crank, hard to see......

VANDENPLAS, jaracer, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Cedar City UT? I believe they get at least as hot in the summer as Orange County, probably hotter. At least we have the on shore ocean breeze that hits in the afternoon and feels great. But I do like the area around there, not far from the national forests.

10. X-cpe

X-cpe

One check for a cracked flex plate, or loose bolts, that I have found to be fairly reliable is to hold the brake, put the car in drive and give it a little gas. This loads the crack and takes the noise away or lessens it.
    Another check for the valve train is with the valve cover off (or your cut away on) is to manually pinch the noses of each pair of rockers together and see if that changes the noise.

11. I’m reasonably sure it’s not in the valve train .
    It’s,,,Either reciprocating assembly,,,or flexplate area .
    Big Lloyd can fix it .

By the way,,,,for you guys that have never met him,,,,,Lloyd is a fairly big boy .
    As the man used to say,,,,,” just how big a boy are you “,,,?

Imagine the actor that does the Commercials for the beef jerky,,,,,in the Sasquatch costume .
    Pretty big boy !

oh yeah,,,,,I meant no disrespect by the analogy,,,,,,
    Lloyd is a fireman,,,and a hot rodder car guy ,,,,and a good friend .
    Like the astronauts used to say,,,,he’s,,,”A-OK “,,,,in my book .

Tommy

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Roy D. Mercer.....

seated valve spring pressure is only about 100 Lbs. Completely reasonable that Lloyd can push them down at that....

13. Budget36

Budget36

How about wiggling them? That was my comment/ question. I’m not a big guy by stature;) but I’ll see if I can push one down, I certainly can’t wiggle one around.

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Roy D. Mercer! I was tryin' to remember that name the other day. (I've never heard anybody able to get someone else spooled up like that in just a couple minutes. He has a gift).

Yeah, valves/springs shouldn't be wiggly I don't believe.

15. I went out there, turned the lights on, kicked the heat up, stared at it for about a minute, turned the heat back down, lights out, and came in the house lmao!

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, when he's drinking moonshine and pickle juice... probably has the strength of 10 Lloyds.

17. Not like I can push them down til they stop, I can bring them off the seat though. The driveshaft is out and the master cylinder assembly is off the truck from changing the cab, so I can't put the truck in gear to check the flywheel, but I feel like that's where the noise is coming from. Like I was saying, the engine has to come out even if it was perfect, the truck is going back down to the frame for paint. So I'll check the flywheel at that point

18. 10 Lloyd’s,,,,,,you know ,,,,I believe that is the name of the guy in the commercials for beef jerky. (Just kidding.)

Like the Indian ,,,,10 Bears,,,,,, but,,,,10 Lloyd’s,,,,,that’s a cool Nick name .
    By the way,,, 10 Bears was a great Chief !

Tommy

19. Budget36

Budget36

I was pretty interested until I put my glasses on and see it was Bears not Beers; I still watch that movie when it comes up though!

20. I've pulled the cap and rotor 5 times I'd guess. Because that's the area. If you watch the last video, you can hear it get loud as i get close to the distributor/ bellhousing

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

\

is that the dist that I sent you???? I don't think a dist can be that loud...

22. No this came from speedway, I think it's pertronix. I'd have to video it, but when you rotate the rotor back and forth, the weights rattle loud. They're loose as hell.

mad mikey, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

man, I hate all that modern shit..... LOL

24. Yeah yeah yeah.... I figured you would gig me on it ;)

25. I've been waiting to see what happened with this. I went back and listened to the 1st video with the volume turned up fairly loud. A memory came to mind from around 1972. A friend and I had changed the powerglide in his 55 wagon. When we started it, it made a very similar noise. I don't remember if the flexplate was broke or one of the torque convertor nuts had stripped out. We ended up pulling the trans in the street in front of his mothers house in the winter. He was big and stout. He laid underneath and picked up the trans and I guided and stabbed the bolts from the top. I'm not 100% sure that you will find the problem on that end but I would bet on it. :) I understand that time is of short supply for you but I would look at what you can see from the bottom before you remove the trans. With a bright light, you might see something that isn't correct on the convertor to flexplate part. For me, the next step would be to remove the trans and fire the engine. That engine sounded real healthy. If something was really wrong, it would be laboring at idle. Good luck with your discovery process.

26. I checked the torque converter bolts, all is good there. But of course I couldn't see up around the flexplate bolts.

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

remove the converter bolts and slide it back towards the trans, then look up in there with a good light....

28. I can do that. I'll give that a try Monday

29. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you happen to start run it with the converter disconnected to see if anything changed?

30. No sir, but I'll try it Monday when I get back in the shop