Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What is the difference. A question for mid 50s Chebby truck guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Jan 5, 2022.

1. This will probably not take long. It is a legit question at least for me.

I was looking at an ad for a First Series '55 Chevrolet Pickup. Got me to thinking.

Is the First Series Five Five just an AD truck? Was there any real difference? Was GM just getting rid of old parts or ????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tiredford likes this.
  2. Nothing factual here, but my take on it was they continued producing the '54 or near '54 (early '55) until they were ready to produce the all new '55.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

First series 55 had a open drive shaft.

SS327, F-ONE, vtx1800 and 4 others like this.
  4. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yes, as saltflats sez, '55 had the open driveshaft of the '55 2nd series. The '54 had the torque tube of the earlier AD trucks. The other differences from '54 were paint schemes (grille was painted body color on the '54 and a white on the '55). The '53 Ford pickups caught GM by surprise and the '54 and '55 1st series Chevys were just slight facelifts of the AD design until they could bring the new Task Force series into production.

Blues4U, porknbeaner and guthriesmith like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy was pretty busy getting the new cars designed and produced...give them some slack for taking half a year to get the trucks completely redesigned, also.

6. Don’t think you could lose with either one.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good question! I’d always wondered as well

tiredford likes this.
  8. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

And the hood side emblems were different than the 54. That, and the open driveline as stated above are the only two things I can think of.

LAROKE likes this.
  9. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I have the 55 1 series on here, and ronzmtrwrx is right. He he is exactly right.

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Kinda like how early '47 Fords were the same as '46 Fords (until about Feb or Mar of '47) and the later '47s were same as the '48s. The transistional stuff has always fascinated me (but I am easily amused). Another example, the "Spring Special" trim and two-tone paint on later '54 Dodges was a precursor to the two and three-tone paint on the '55 Dodges.

mitch 36 likes this.
  11. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

And if you ever come across a glove box door or ashtray for a '54 / 1st series '55, grab it. One year only
    and very scarce. Same goes for the radio.....

12. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

The top of the bed rail is different between them. Ad series has a slanted top rail and 55 - 59 up has the flat top rail.

13. Gofannon

Gofannon

Slanted top on the bed ended 53. Different chassis in 54-55 had less kick up to allow for a deeper bed. There are lots of differences year on year with AD trucks. And then there's my anomaly, a RHD 55 1st that retained the 53 style split screen cab and dash.

guthriesmith and connielu like this.
  14. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Wow. That’s interesting. There surely can’t be many of those left around.

15. Gofannon

Gofannon

I'd love to know the global production figures for RHD 55 1st Series. As far as I know all 55s in NZ were 1st series ex Canada. Can't be many, but I've seen a few around here.

ronzmtrwrx likes this.
  16. finn

finn

Chevy slipped the curved windshield in there at some time for the later cabs. That’s a pretty big change and shoots down the old “just using up old parts “ theory.

17. The early '55s were still "Advanced Design", but mainly a stop gap model until (like Squirrel said) they could get the "new" trucks going with new sheet metal, V8's, etc. to compete with Ford and Dodge.

18. Budget36

Budget36

Weren’t the beds (not fenders) on the ‘55-1 the same as used on the 55-9’s?
    My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I’d put a new tail gate on my ‘57 when I had it painted in ‘77/78. A classmate at school bought my old tail gate for his ‘55-1.
    I can’t recall if he used it or not. But this thread sparked my memory of that.

19. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Yes the tailgates interchange once the beds changed to the flat tops. The earlier slanted top beds are different.
    Chevrolet did the carryover of the old model while introducing the newer model several times, in fact they did it
    when they introduced the AD series as well.

Budget36 likes this.
  20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

''Weren’t the beds (not fenders) on the ‘55-1 the same as used on the 55-9’s?''
    Same physical size, but .... the '54-5 1st bed sides are indented to fit early fender, and the '55 2nd - '59 indented for the late.

Budget36, connielu and LAROKE like this.
  21. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

Radio delete plates too!

22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I believe the '55 First, was also 12 volt. I could be wrong. As mentioned, the '55 First had open drive.

Without a doubt, they are the best of the Advance Design Series.

23. Chevrolet did this a few times over the years with different models (car and truck), but I can only think of 2 right now...........

24. Gofannon

Gofannon

55 1st were 6 volt.

302GMC, LAROKE and F-ONE like this.
  25. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I have a '54 and am lucky enough to have an extra radio, speaker and block off plate sitting on the shelf.
    Hoping it might be a good trade item someday. Bob

connielu likes this.
  26. Interesting thought. Not totally on topic for this thread but AD Driveline related. The 3/4 AD trucks had an open driveline. Well not completely they had a stub shaft that was encosed from the back of the tranny (about a 1 foot to 18 inches long) then a common open driveshaft from there back. I had a '49 3/4 ton and thought that if I ever wanted to run a later rear on an AD truck I could just use the 3/4 ton tranny.

Lots of good info. Thanks

LAROKE and Bob Lowry like this.
  27. Beano, I have never been a Chevy truck guy but if the right 55 Chevy second series came along at the right price I could be happy with parking one in my garage, they are absolutely beautiful in my eyes. HRP

28. LOL there is a tri five chebby truck in the class ads now that is really reasonable. I think that @sodas38 has it. :D
    I have never owned a Tri Five Chebby truck, the Five Six is my favorite, I think it has the best looking grill. For what ever reason my '50s era trucks have mostly been Fords, about half of them Ford powered. LOL

Tim likes this.
  29. frame rails on 54 & first series 55's don't kick up over the rear axle as much as 53 on back

30. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Here's something I've seen several times over the past 50 years .... late '55 fenders on early '55 trucks. One was a 3/4 ton that was still in the original buyer's family. The other was so long ago that the details are foggy ... anyone else ever seen this on a truck that wasn't altered or repaired ?