Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What does traditional hot rodding mean to you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oliver westlund, Jan 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Nothin wrong with opinions... as long as we all know they dont change anything besides perhaps someone elses

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. We *are* a restoration group. we restore cars and trucks as if they were pre-'64 hot rods & customs.:cool:

Obviously, some of us are more hard-line purists than others. There are regional differences as well. :rolleyes:

If you want to a *faster* hot rod, an LS swap and EFI with twin-turbos & traction control will will easily provide that, but that's not what the HAMB is about.

redo32, BamaMav, mad mikey and 6 others like this.
  3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The reality^^^^
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Neo-Traditional^^^^
    Do you see what I'm getting at?

4. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Traditional appearing goes a long way here. ;)

5. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I do....the latter not being my style although appreciated

56don and Just Gary like this.
  6. I used to call that "newstalgia". Pissed people off a lot.

I used to hate it when some bone head told me he had a nostalgia rod. You cannot wax nostalgic about something that you have not experienced.

7. Rub it in.......I'm trying to get my time machine working but it's hard to generate 1.21 gigawatts.

8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Oliver, I hope my post didn't come across as attacking your post, were all in this together. Sometimes text looks like an attack.

I wish you and yours a Happy New Year..

Happy Motoring..

9. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

I know I'm gonna regret this, but I gotta ask- what is this game of "little yellow pool"?

10. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Not at all, just appeared that you either missed some things i wrote, misunderstood or were editing to make it fit. I certainly wasnt taking it personally just clarifying my side of things! Happy new year to you as well bud!

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Haha i googled it immediately...no search results....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. My dad had a buddy from Oakland (not important who is). Sometimes when he was visiting and I was not sleeping he would sit me on his tank and let dad stay home and rest. We would get out on a highway and he would run it up to speed then kill the engine and throw it into neutral. You could hear the sounds of the night but our whole world was just that little yellow pool of light over the front tire. The sounds of the night were not from our world.

Note: I taught the game to my daughter and my oldest grandaughter. Someone won't like that but its too late now. :D

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  13. Guessing that the top two were about 18. That puts them at about 85 now. Traditional but that’s too damn old for me. I’m not even on Medicare yet.;)

jimmy six, RMR&C, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  14. Let's combine our research. I've done the math necessary for amount of energy we'll need in order to isolate spacetime then travel through it.

2 Problems:
    • Problem 1 is: we're gonna need WAY more power than that. The kind that puts you on a "list" when you go to buy the materials.
    • Problem 2 is: I can't figure out the landing because the earth has moved in space since... say... 1963. I'm stuck on the "we're hurdling through the universe at ungodly speeds" equation and there are SO many variables.
    Oh, and we're using a '49 Merc instead of some dumbass Delorean. :D

-

Just tryin' to keep the mood light in here. These threads never go well.

oliver westlund likes this.
  15. Careful, a lot of these models are friends and wives of HAMBers. No need for crude comments.

mad mikey, Joe Blow, -Brent- and 4 others like this.
  16. Bruce Dern

Bruce Dern

This is my answer:

1929 Ford tudor avatar.jpg

A 1929 tudor sedan with a 55 Buick Nailhead and 3 speed top loader.

F-ONE and oliver westlund like this.
  17. If your traveling at the speed of light, do the head lights work?

18. Yeah... backwards. :D:D:D

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I look at it this way. :confused:

Seriously, though. Aside from any other reasons, I just like that nice nostalgic feeling.

Some hot rods and customs do it very well, and can elicit such strong nostalgia, it seems that as you view it, it might pull you back in time. To a fairly specific time.

I enjoy examples of what absolutely did happen.
    Also, of what likely did or at least easily could have happened.

20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I agree ... I deleted it. I'm too old to understand why anyone would want to look like that ...

21. Looks fine to me and I am 52 ;)

ccain and oliver westlund like this.
  22. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

That's a relief! I was picturing something that involved urine...:D

23. Traditions change with time. On this forum, the traditional time frame is prior to 1965 and what was going on with hot rodding back in that time frame. Lucky for me, that was my favorite time of life concerning the automotive world. I grew of age reading Hot Rod magazine in the 60s and lusted after all those wonderful California built hot rods printed in the green ink. Ahhh.....nostalgia.....

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Sometimes it's a good idea to see what the Boss said in Rules & Guidelines for this forum:

"The HAMB is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms to hoodlums world wide. That's right; TRADITIONAL. If you've come here to discuss anything other than Hot Rods or Customs built in a style representative of 1965 or before, you've come to the wrong forum....
    4. We cover traditional '65 and older American cars only. All other threads will be deleted. We don't cover rat rods, muscle cars, mustangs, or VWs.
    5. As mentioned throughout these guidelines, the H.A.M.B. focuses on TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs. Posts pertaining to traditionally inspired, but not quite period perfect belong on the main forum found here. Please note that we don't focus on things such as modern fuel injected motors, big-inch wheels, frame clips, after market independent suspensions, etc... at all on the H.A.M.B.. As such, posts that stray away from the "traditional inspired" will be deleted."

Please note that is is not '61 and older, not '63 and older, not pre-'64, etc. It is not even pre-65. It is "65 and older" so that would be pre-'66. Not my rules but Ryan's in black & white.

25. "Period Correct" cars and p/u's, 1965 and prior..utilizing Hot Rod and Custom parts from that era for the build.
    That's what I consider pure/authentic..not saying I'm that guy that abides 100%, but I do recognize, and appreciate it when seen.

26. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I may, this is a lifestyle and a good one to experience. I think the experience is what makes it fun. Disc brakes are cool and safe. Driving with drum brakes changes a lot. The extra attention to traffic ahead changes your experience Anybody can have electronic ignition but the experience is also the resetting the points on the side of the road. fuel injection is top notch but having a stuck float on a stromberg is also part of the experience.
    For my 15 years here, we did what the original hot rodders did with the same parts and cars. we use newer technology tools, mig welders etc but try our best to make the car exactly what it was being, a traditional hot rod or custom.

27. My vision of traditional is being shaped by being on the hamb. I was born in 1962, my parents and their friends were not hotrodders. I discovered hotrod magazine when I got to highschool, that was in the mid 70s. This is a great place to learn more about early hotrods. I love the style and the idea of a traditional build- no airbags, no front clips, no billet, no skulls, no efi, no ifs. Having laid that out I will say that I think they built some really ugly stuff back in the day, and also some really beautiful cars. I have said before as a farmer and internet surfer you need to learn how to sort the wheat from the chaff. The moderators here do some of that for you. I also like that there is no politics or hate etc. They have some rules that a pretty strict, and some that are a little lax, I’m glad they let us all into their sand box. This is a great site for me to spend my internet time on. Hopefully one of my builds will be worthy of some time here soon. Do I think I will be building it with acetylene, coat hangers and lead, I hope not, but maybe it will be okay if it looks like I did. Get your ideas and inspiration here and do what you want, not everybody is going to love it, but hopefully some will. Put a little thought into your comments, it will be alright.

connielu, klawockvet, hrm2k and 3 others like this.
  28. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Thats nice, I would assume however that we have all read the rules or at least I would hope so...the question i posed wasn't about the rules of the forum, it was about peoples personal feelings...unless you are saying your feelings on the subject perfectly allign with the rules of the forum in which case, awesome!

arkiehotrods, Just Gary and Happydaze like this.
  29. twenty8

twenty8

@oliver westlund , I guess you are referring to post #5 on a thread yesterday about windshields.
    With 19 years and around 58,700 posts on the HAMB, I would think that he has earned the right to voice an opinion. And he is definitely not a "restoration man", as you so elegantly put it. If a bunch of like-minded guys want to hang out and indulge their passion for building a hot rod the way they see fit, some 'traditional' old fashioned respect would be an excellent attribute to display. Modern innovation in the hobby is still cool, it just doesn't fit in here. If that doesn't sit well with your 'personal feelings', you are free to find your own group of like-minded guys. I've said this before, if you want steak, don't go to the greengrocer's and complain to him that he doesn't sell meat...............o_O

And...........congrats HRP.

30. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

If my goal was to specifically call someone out I would have done so. I didnt use names or specifically reference the post for that reason. I pretty clearly stated that what was said caused me to think harder on the subject and develope a more defined answer. The purpose of this post was to share what I came up with and hear what others have come up with when facing the same question. As far as the post regarding the windshield goes nothing modern was innovated as far as i could tell. As a side note...do you honestly think dumping on someone is an earned privelage? Say ive been here since the beginning and made 50k posts....can I now say whatever I want? Odd logic imo. If Gene Winfield is checking out my chop and I did something wrong, I would expect him to tell me so...I can almost promise you he wouldnt dump on me for it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.