Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What in the heck Ford wheels are these?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sunley Engines, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Sunley Engines

Sunley Engines
    from Utah

I thought that I was just buying Model A wheels. I was wrong.

What in the heck are these? 20220103_120552.jpg 20220103_120557.jpg 20220103_120604.jpg

2. That is an aftermarket Bool hubcap, to fit a model A rim. The 16 inch rim was welded to a stock 19 inch original model A wheel?

bool.PNG

X38 and Carter like this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes…not all that uncommon. A 19” (or possibly a 21”) center is cut out, spokes shortened and welded to smaller wheel rim.

Ray

4. Sunley Engines

Sunley Engines
    from Utah

Holy cow. Thank you both for such fast responses. I guess I could have searched more.

So are these worth less than normal wheels? What was the purpose for cutting and welding? Easier tire availability?

5. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Not that it matters... but the 21” wheel centers took a smaller cap. Definitely 19”

Carter likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I was not intending to suggest the wheel pictured was maybe a 21” wheel. Rather, the same operation could be done with either a 19” or a 21”.

Ray

7. The 16 inch tires were easier to get during WW II. Probably worth about the same as an original wheel.

Charlie Stephens

Carter likes this.
  8. Sunley Engines

Sunley Engines
    from Utah

I need to get these tires and tubes out and see if there is pitting. If a decent set, did I get a deal at $30? I want to build a cobbled together 1932 roadster eventually. I just recently missed out on a frame here locally.

9. Squablow

Squablow

If they spin true and can be balanced out, they'd be kinda neat to use since they're custom, but they're not really valuable. If they're safe, they'd be cool to run on car (I wouldn't put a ton of power to them) just for the history.

Some of these cut-down wheels may have been made on a jig by a craftsman with solid welding skills, and some may have been made by a farmer looking for a way to use common 16" tires on a hay wagon and not planning to go more than 10 mph, you'll need to figure out how quality of a job was done here. Although the one pictured does look pretty square to me so hopefully they'll be usable.

10. dwollam

dwollam

I have seen many of those. I bought a couple to give to a good friend. His are '28-9 centers with 16" rims and he runs them on his stocker '29 Model A closed cab pickup with big and little radials. They were done in the old days when 16" tires were more available than 19 & 21's.

The FOOL or BOOL caps were aftermarket and were available in '28-9 and also '30-1's. I got a set for a friend with a Dodge Brothers touring with a Willys F head engine and later axles. Found him some 30-1 19" wheels to match his bolt pattern, then gave him the FOOL's since it wasn't a Ford and if someone got down on there knees to figure it out he could kick them in the ass while they were down there!

I gave $25 or so apiece for the wheels I bought.

Dave

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Hnstray likes this.
  11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Looks like a good way to use up temporary spares!

[​IMG]

Jet96 likes this.
  12. Sunley Engines

Sunley Engines
    from Utah

I really appreciate all of the information. I will keep an eye out for 3 more hub caps. This is the only one in the set.

Temp spares are great for rolling around until I can actually afford this hobby. Haha

13. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

See the resized model 'A' rims from time to time at farm sales/swap meets, one of those "do what you had to do to keep doin what you do" !

Hnstray likes this.