Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Engine options in a stock A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barbarian, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

I’ve searched and surprised I didn’t find the answer in here.

31 Model A , stock A frame, stock firewall, stock hood. Do I have any other engine options other than a banger or flathead that will fit without cutting it up?

yes I know I can go 32 rails but I do not like the look of a lengthened hood or hoodless

2. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

V-6

Attached Files:

3. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Chevy II 4 cyl. Oct 24-19 004.jpg

4. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

5. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Some neat options. I’d like to stay pre-53

5window likes this.
  6. 5window

5window

You say stock chassis but, are you boxing the rails/strengthening the frame? You'll have to be careful how much power you put between unmodified rails-I don't know what that is, but I bet someone here knows from experience how much is too much.

Stan Back likes this.
  7. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Yea I’ll box it. Stock as in wheelbase, hood fitment, no firewall mods. I have an A frame as well as a boxes 32 frame that is A wheelbase. Regardless I’d which I use the wheelbase is stock A and I want to run a full hood. Have a banger laying around and know of a flathead close but will need a full rebuild. So started thinking what else could fit and still be traditional pre-53…

8. 5window

5window

How about a Chevy Blue Flame 6? Lots of speed parts about. '53 'vette[​IMG]

9. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Nice but that thing is huge. It’s almost 4” longer than a sbc, it would need like a 7” recess. I’m the question was options that fit without cutting into the firewall or extending the wheelbase.

5window likes this.
  10. lake_harley

lake_harley

With your pre-53 desire, I guess the 2.5L Chevy S-10 banger like I have in my A Coupe is ruled out. Too bad. Room to spare.

Lynn

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Willys Go Devil or Hurricane

porknbeaner likes this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

What about a Ford Jubilee OHV tractor engine? Would they bolt up to the A trans?

vtx1800 and Jessie J. like this.
  13. railcarmover

railcarmover

20211107_152418.jpg

Run what she come with..

14. raven

raven

If you're wanting a pre-53 and no cutting to fit, you're pretty much left with the original banger or a flathead. You could do something like putting an engine out of a Willys or a Jeep, but you really don't have many options.
    r

Budget36, Barbarian and Tim like this.
  15. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Thank you, thats what I was assuming but wanted to
    make sure I wasn’t missing a neat option

16. Stock sucks. Unless you wanna go 30mph top speed. Oh, and don't forget those sweet babbitt bearings!

Blues4U, raven and 5window like this.
  17. 5window

5window

Yeah, sorry, I didn't cross-check measurements. But, here's a link about ones that were done if you want to follow it up. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/model-a-with-inline-six.328095/

18. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Got a buddy doing burnouts with Babbitt bearings and its holding up. Makes noise, pull a shim theory... But he hasnt yet and its taking the abuse with ease...Stock motors will cruise 45 to 50 all day, good stock will push 60 to 65 possibly, get a built one and the possibilities are endless.

Get an inserted built up A or B motor. You will love going from 35 hp to 100.. I'm cruising 65-70 in this now comfy with more to go.
    COUPE 63.jpg COUPE 81.jpg

Cam, Head, and Intake make the largest difference. Lightened flywheel, v8 clutch, and header help also... nothing like being a prewar hotrod with prewar power.

The flatty v8 is always another good choice... This car was built in the 50s hacked firewall and all, and we gave it a facelift. Motor still ran great once we resurrected it with a lapping of the valves and oiled the rings..

IMG_2465.JPG

I've built both these cars in the span of a year. Few things about a v8 that I do love, few things about the banger I do love also... I may do another flatty v8 one day...

But a cammed banger motor loping is fun...

shortypu, low down A, rwrj and 9 others like this.
  19. That's great for all involved, I'm not a fan, and nobody will change that. When your main cap bolts use a castle nut and copper pin, something just isn't right. If the design was good, they'd still build em that way. Stock sucks. 200 horsepower isn't horsepower

Bandit Billy and raven like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

I’m bad on history, would a “pre-53” build be attributed to what? I think that was around the Korean War?
    Regardless, what’s the intent, keeping all stock A and adding engine?

21. Budget36

Budget36

Hush now, go fix the noise in Ashley’s engine;)

22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Shit 80% of the cars owned on this forum are 30-200 hp...
    I used to have your same mentality... I get where your coming from. And Ill agree to disagree with you easily.

Jet96 likes this.
  23. Yeah I don't look at those cars, I've built 11 model A Ford's, but none stock. When I seen engine swap/ model A, I looked at the thread. My fault for peeking in.

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  24. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Pinto!

RmK57 likes this.
  25. SBC fits well with minor mods. They are small motors.

Oh I somehow did not catch the pre '53 deal. Sorry.:oops:

26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To get a good high performance engine from that era, you probably have to look offshore.

1950's Alfa Romeo Twin Cam, BMW M10, Fiat twin cam or Volvo B18 from the 60's, or any Offenhauser.

It'll take more cubic dollars to do it, but you'll have the only one on your block.

Cheap route would be the GM Iron Duke or Ford 2.3 from more recent decades, and try to dress it "old".

Ned Ludd, raven and 51 mercules like this.
  27. 5window

5window

Horsepower to weight is important. 200 HP may not be much in a 4500 pound car but will move a 2250 pound car along pretty well. A 200 HP motorcycle probably requires a frequent change of underwear-if you're wearing any. We don't judge.

28. There is a brand new Model A block, crank and rods now on the market that looks completely original outside, but is fully pressurized, 5 bearing crank and 5 bearings cam, that can be built up as a very strong motor.

it is a good option for a traditional hot rod and fits in the confines of the model A . Look up the Terry Burtz motor on Fordbarn.

I am awaiting delivery of mine.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265782

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Jet96 likes this.
  29. 5window

5window

So, if I read the websites correctly, a Burtz engine will likely set you back $7K or so by the time you add cylinder head, exhaust, carb and intake,etc. Maybe more. A rebuilt Model A engine, if you have a good block and head is probably $4.5-5? A remanufactured 350 Chevy from Jasper is under $3 grand. What price tradition?

30. LOL! That is funny right there.

Ben

Budget36 likes this.