Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 57 FORD Build #2... Glutton for Punishment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Oct 20, 2021.

1. so im reading this as, they make a better cruiser over wanting to go fast.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Did you guys ever get the 332 FE or was that an Australia only deal?

loudbang likes this.
  3. The 332 was a '58-early '59 motor here then discontinued. Solid lifters only, no hydraulics. It was the first FE, the 352 was a mid-year introduction.

chryslerfan55, Thor1, Texas57 and 2 others like this.
  4. Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  5. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

I ordered a '58 Ford convertible from the local Ford dealer in January of 1958,
    was delivered in April '58. I ordered the 352 cu. in. Interceptor Special 300 hp engine.
    The 352 Interceptor Special in my car had solid lifters and was much faster than the
    other '58 Fords and '58 Chevy's in my area. Unfortunately I blew the engine at
    40,000 miles. The replacement engine was much less powerful.

Stogy, loudbang and The_Cat_Of_Ages like this.
  7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Engine/Trans in.. front suspension ......next.

0629050D-0692-4B4D-A079-374F7D8447F5.jpg IMG_9330.jpeg

8. Jeff you might enjoy seeing this photo. It was a '57 I had ages ago for a daily driver. 20200813_143248.jpg

9. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Cool build, Jeff! :cool:
    Think you'll be happy w/ the 352. I had a '65 truck engine years ago that was tough as nails. Original owner did a standard re-ring and fresh bearings. Had a ton of miles on it before the blowby got bad. I dogged it pretty hard and never had a failure of any sort.

Joe

10. Jeff, I'm excited for you even though you've a long way to go. :)

loudbang, Thor1 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That is an awesome 300 custom!. love it!

loudbang, Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Oh yes........
    "Hopefully" by late spring... it will roll on its own steam... but.. I don't want to set up for disappointment .

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yea Joe. Thanks... the whole drift is a sleeper built in 59-60.... Hopefully I'll be happy.
    As I mentioned......I do have a bigger Merc 410 in the wings..... But Being a silly Geared Romantic.... I have a thing for the numbers.... and I have ridden in a 352/4 speed vehicle with some spunk and I loved the Torque that ride produced... so.. we will see.....
    And that's what I really like... Torque... the guttural pull you get when the go pedal is floored.

14. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Sorry, but I must not have been paying attention, who made those really cool headers? With the cast iron primaries and then the tubular pipes, gasket leaks must be nonexistent!

15. I had two '64 Fords with a 352 in them, both wagons, one was a 3-speed. Nice and smooth running engines.

Deuces, lothiandon1940, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  16. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Stock '60 T-Bird engine has pretty decent compression, 9.6:1. It would make a good platform for performance improvements down the road, if you're looking for them. '58-'59 heads will bump compression even more, if that's doable but I'm not sure about it.

Joe

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes Joe.. that's what I have.a 60 Bird 352..... the block numbers correspond with a 1960 year... anyhow.... the engine was supposedly rebuilt.... I have no issues with doing more HP improvements down the road..... so.Im kinda stoked on it.

chryslerfan55, brEad, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Slowly moving forward .
    Installed the upper A arms, installing the lower ones today.
    Did some horse trading with a friend and picked up Brand new PowerMaster Alt. Since this engine used a Generator(and I thought about it) I will need to mock up some brackets and such to hang it properly.The boss on the block is not on the face of the front of the engine.... on the side.... not a big deal.
    Dug through a few heater boxes and motors... and found one in good working order, did a 12 volt test and all is fine.
    I'll scuff it and shoot it black.....Just need to find the fasteners.... they are somewhere....

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I also test fitted the steering box into place(sorry no pic) and it fits well with the headers,.... tight.... but well.I was a little concerned about the box... removed it and had a friend look at it.... with the conclusion that it just needed new lube and it was dry.
    The 57 box design is not a favoured design or box..... its big and gets in the way of many things.. especially the exhaust.With a Y-block. its a non issue(on fitment) but a 58-64 Ford Box is smaller and a better internal design..... but..... I will use what I have at this point.I have 4 other spares.
    The main issue is that they are a MAJOR PIA to get out once a car is on the road.... but.. I will throw Lady Lucks Dice and see how they roll.

chryslerfan55, Deuces, Thor1 and 8 others like this.
  20. I'm on the fence with my '59, possibly going with a Borgeson PS box or a rack and pinion conversion. The R&P will give me better header options. The manual box is however in great shape.

Deuces, Thor1, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I can totally understand this... and I have had long conversations with friends and acquaintances about steering and brake upgrades.I can't argue the point that its not a better upgrade... but for me I feel some folks really don't understand what I am trying to achieve.
    I recently had a conversation about a front brake upgrade..... while it "might" happen down the road..... at this point.... Im using what I have.
    To each his own.

22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Mentioning Alt brackets again...I may use something like this.... solves the side boss issue.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 9.49.53 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 9.50.01 AM.png

chryslerfan55, enloe, Deuces and 11 others like this.
  23. I have the ‘58 box ready to ship, just say the word!

24. Plus it just looks right.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Lane.. you rock... I will holler at you in a wee bit....... we gotta make our deal work.

Deuces, lothiandon1940, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  26. RmK57

RmK57

Does the 58 steering box have the horn wire pass the hollow tube like the 57 column?

Deuces, Thor1 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  27. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job Jeff, your 57 is coming along nicely!

Deuces and Jeff Norwell like this.
  28. F.Y.I. talking about steering boxes. I may have posted my lesson here already but being your talking about Steering Boxes, thought I'd mention it again. When setting up the Akerman on my 57 and doing so because of the Fatman spindles I learned a lesson about steering gear to sector shaft and dead center. I had a major issue getting my spindles pointed dead ahead and the steering gear at 50% of full rotation. With the Pitman arm I was using I could not get my steering wheel and Horn ring to center up. It's important to have the box at 50% due to the ramp between the gears. This helps control wanderitus. The lesson was that there is a spline clocking change between the Power steering and the Manual steering pitman arms. I wasn't willing to give up some turning radi. to get my wheel strait in my hands. Go ahead and call me anal but I knew there was a problem. Now if I remember right the Power pitman arm actually has the word power in the forging and the Manual arm just has a part number on it. There are different part numbers for each arm in the book. They both will bolt to both parts. They both look identical. Hope my memory is right with this last info. At any rate all is correct to center and both right and left turning ratio being the same now. Just thought I'd throw that out being that's what you're working on.

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks Baumi!