Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 57 FORD Build #2... Glutton for Punishment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Good to see you making some time to work on it!

Stogy and Jeff Norwell like this.
  2. The '57 Chevy is a score if it fits. I went Newport that was $224 at the time.

Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  3. 57 Chevy is a bolt in direct replacement as I remember it and you use your stock 57 Ford switch and cable. I know nothing about the Newport unit. What year Newport and does it use the Ford switch?

4. Molded carpet or glue-down? If glue down, that factory insulation Bob mentioned won't be usable. They do make one for the '57s...........I got mine @ classic Auto in OKC.
    Pist-n-broke....The Newport wiper they are talking about is not Chrysler Newport. Newport is the Manufacturer/brand name. I think out of Newport Beach, Ca.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bump
    Build posts is good reading.

Post more build post fellas.

Tman, 57 Fargo, Jeff Norwell and 4 others like this.
  6. Silva

Silva

Looking good Jeff, I'll be watching...

Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  7. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

@Jeff Norwell build posts are always great. He gives details of what he is doing, how, and why. And he includes lots of pictures for guys like me who are a tad bit dim...if you get my drift.

8. Stogy, Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  9. pivir123

pivir123

Enjoying your build. You do great work!

10. NoSurf

NoSurf

Lookin' good Billie-Ray.

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks All for the very kind words and helpful insight.
    Getting the interior painted but I do need a break.... I prefer doing mechanical stuff for than anything.. so.... Turning my thoughts to the dropping in the engine/trans and front suspension/steering stuff.
    Thinking out loud,.. but I may drop in the engine and trans first....then the front suspension.
    It just might be a whole lot easier(and safer!) to have some weight up front before I start compressing springs.That job makes me very nervous.But I have a good compressor and will have a buddy help out.
    I have all front end parts ready to go.. bushings and such are all in and ready... no old used junk...
    all new steering components as well... from Idler Arm to drag link. all new NOS stuff...

The Engine/Trans
    A few years back I found a local guy selling a 352/with a cruise-o-matic from a 60 Bird project, where the orig. owner passed away.
    Not a big fan of autos.... so I sold it to a friend who needed it for his 59 Ford.
    Found a top loader which from what I can tell is a 68-69 vintage... pushing a 351
    Needed a bell housing.... got a truck bell(way cheaper than a car bell)...$50.Yes. we have talked about the truck bells compared to passenger car.... basically the truck bell is a bit deeper and the Trans in put shaft is longer.(not by much. anyhow... )mine works and fit together with engagement no problem.
    There are a great many threads on this issue on this board with very helpful insights.....

As far as I can tell.... my research indicates this engine is a 60 or 61.... it did orig. come with the older bell(auto) and the long style starter..(can't use that in the later style bell I have.)
    I can't use a later Bosche style starter because of interference of the Solenoid with the early Hedman Headers..... so..I am pretty sure I am going with the RobbMC mini starter... fully rotatable and very compact..... Made in the USA... not offshore.
    But not cheap.... what is?

Why a 352?..... well.. from 59-65 using a FE was the hot lick for Ford guys in a 55-58 Ford... yep.. could have done a 390. and I have a good core... but..... this combo just spoke to me.... and I have been always fascinated with the little FE.
    yes.... lots of stories about the 352 were dogs... but after 63.. they were really designated for base engines and trucks.... 390's 406's and 427's were the big dogs and this engine was forgotten.A 1960 HiPo version Haunts me.... maybe one day.
    I have met many guys who make these thing really ring out.
    and if this experiment fails..... I have a 410 Merc Stump Puller waiting in the wings.My intent with this whole car is to make a sleeper from 1960-61.

Anyhow.I digress.....

I am not sure about the fuel pump..... looking at a good Carter unit.... I just not sure if I have enough faith on that oddball stock unit....
    Definitely the RobbMC starter and I will get the stock distributer re-curved from a pal of mine in Philly.
    Lots of small pieces still needed but hopefully it will come all together.

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

chryslerfan55, Tman, alfin32 and 16 others like this.
  12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I also have a strange concern... I am a bit nervous of using a lift plate on the factory aluminum intake.
    Not wanting to start a raging debate... please..... just thoughts.... I really don't need 700 +pounds come crashing down....
    I can secure the lift by bolts into the iron heads.....
    (I think I just answered my own question)

13. I used convenient holes on the ends of my aluminum cylinder heads (not a Ford engine...).
    221-018.JPG

14. I've had several good running 352's in several 57/58 Fords as well as 2 first gen F-100's. I've never said wish I would have held out for a 390. All were just good drivers that just got with it. I agree with losing the dual action fuel pump, but I never ran the one you show. I chose the Carter CRT-M4008. I like the built-in filter with the large replaceable cartridge. They also make this style for the small blocks.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55, Tman, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That FP looks to be a good choice Wizz and less that half the price.I will look into it.
    Thank you

Pist-n-Broke and loudbang like this.
  16. Doesn't this pump have the small outlet? Like a 1/8" pipe thread?

loudbang likes this.
  17. RmK57

RmK57

The lift plate on the carb pad is a non-issue. This is close to 800 lbs. with the c-6 behind it. I've also lifted it a couple times with the old iron heads and exhaust manifolds in place.

The Carter fuel pump looks like the same performance pump as you can see on my engine. I think they are rated 110 gph? Great pump, has been trouble free for 8 years. One thing you may want consider is going to a 3/8" fuel line from the gas tank to the pump. The pump outlet/inlet on mine are 3/8" pipe thread.

View attachment 5274801 View attachment 5274801 502 engine pull (2).jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  18. Good question Steve. I went from memory on that specific part number. I believe #DOTZ-9350-A is the 5/16 line but well worth double checking. In fact the first listing may be for a 302. If I remember correctly all pumps for FE are 5/16 line fittings. The multi carb'd FE's had an external canister past the pump for the filter cartridge. Not sure if they went to 3/8 line or not.

19. I know some of the aftermarket pumps have the small outlet because I've seen them (and bought one). And they generally seem to be the ones with the pictured inlet, not the OEM style threaded inlet. But that also seems to be the only one available with the built-in filter. I had to buy an adaptor to connect the existing fuel line to it on the one I had.

For a Hipo application I'd be a bit worried about fuel starvation.

Jeff, some restorer is going to want that dual-diaphragm pump to run their vacuum wipers. They're getting hard to find...

20. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Jeff Norwell
    The 57 is looking very cool. I just wanted to tell you that it is so great to see Diamond Deuce still sitting in your garage. That root beer coupe was cool but never held a candle to DD.
    Looking forward to see the 57 on the road

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes. the Carter is rated at 110gpm...I think I will plan on staying with that.... and yes. my other 57 with the 428 runs 3/8 fuel line through out... that was in the plan.
    Thanks for the advice on the lift plate!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Three pedals, good call Jeff!

Thor1 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I fabbed up 2 x long 1/4" straps that bolted to the heads to lift my FE. Using an adjustable engine lift it worked a treat. Large enough holes in the top for stout D-shackles and large flat washers for securing flat bar to heads.
    upload_2022-1-3_9-2-14.png

24. i just realized with that side trim that this isnt a 500 model, which brings me to the question, which is actually better?

25. Better how?

26. performance, hot rodding, etc.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. Trim level doesn't have a whole lot to do with "performance. hot rodding, etc." Except in this case, the 500 you mentioned would make it a pretty different Fairlane, not the Custom / Custom 300 series that Jeff's are, and being that the Fairlanes are longer, lower, heavier, I guess that does fall into a performance factor. LOL....the spell check is trying to change my "lower" to "slower"............guess it's reading my mind.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.