Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I need your opinions on color choice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crapgame, Dec 31, 2021.

1. crapgame

crapgame

I just bought this awesome '56 Fairlane. In a month or so, it will be a couple of inches lower, and I have a list of other mods I'd like to do, including swapping out the (admittedly cool) American Racing rims for wire wheels. My preference is for yellow wires with chrome beauty rings. My buddy, who's an old school rodder who's built a zillion cars, is busting my chops, telling me silver colored wires are the only way to go. My wife things gray would be the right color choice. Would yellow be as awful as everyone seems to be telling me? Help me out with your thoughts on the right color for wire wheels on this car.

#1.jpg

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm it's your car but painted wires doesn't resonate with me as something that I could envision as a period detail...some nice Caps of which there are oodles of choice might be the cats meow or vintage Buick style wires but stainless or chrome...

The Photoshop Thread below is a great place to see visions before you fork out the dough...A request is all the more the capable team of talents can make your dreams come alive but you would have to show them samples of what your thinking....Happy New Year...;)

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-to-end-all-photoshop-threads.300531/page-900

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    fauj, brady1929, Hnstray and 10 others like this.
  3. crapgame

crapgame

Thanks Stogy. Will post a plea on the Photoshop thread.

To clarify, are you thinking that wires wouldn't be period-correct on this car, regardless of color?

4. No yellow wires. Chrome wires or leave it as is and drive the shit out of it.

fauj, 2OLD2FAST, PoTaToTrUcK and 10 others like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm born in 60 so I'm just going with my educated gut but I haven't seen many painted wires on 50s cars...I'm thinking thats an 80s thing...Others will chime in with opinions...I'm interested to see what those in the know will think...

fauj, brady1929, dana barlow and 4 others like this.
  6. Like Stogy, I'm not feeling the wire wheels on a Ford of that vintage either. Maybe if it was a Lincoln it could pull it off. Painted wires also have a 1930s feel about them. I don't get it? I was almost in high school when that Ford was new.
    But it's a bolt-on so try it if you insist. You can always go back to those sweet American Racing wheels and sell off the wire wheels.

fauj, Irish Mike, Yutan Flash and 2 others like this.
  7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    Wires on American cars made past 1936. Yeah, I know Buicks and T birds had 'em but they still look like.^^^^

8. firemangordy

firemangordy

No painted wires. If you're keeping the wide whites, lower the car and put Olds Fiestas or 57 Cad hubcaps on it. Even the stock '56 Ford full hubcap would look OK. If you want wires and have the money put Buick Skylarks on it.

fauj, PoTaToTrUcK, Chili Phil and 8 others like this.
  9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Nope….nice ride though

hotrodjack33, 427 sleeper and Stogy like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

or just google

1956-ford-960x410-4.jpg

fauj, 34 GAZ, PoTaToTrUcK and 15 others like this.
  11. indyjps

indyjps

Big and little steelies, yellow, with poverty caps. Bias ply with pie crust rears.

12. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chrome wires with 1" white wall's get my vote. Or, leave it as is and drive it! :cool:
    Chrome reverse with blackwall's would look pretty sweet too... Anything but painted wire's.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This would be Stogys 56...He wants a more formal look I'm thinking...

@crapgame here's an old Thread...Now the Hamb has evolved a bit since this was penned but still resonates good info...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/traditional-wheels-part-2-wires.629929/

...another on wheelcovers...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/traditional-wheels-part-4-full-wheel-covers.767836/

crapgame, Just Gary and hotrodjack33 like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Ewe...

D_rnBi8XoAMzhkk.png

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=23152

The Late Lee Pratt's 58...

I don't agree...they have their place lending well to Customs...

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks fine the way it is. Make sure it has antifreeze in it.

Texas57, The37Kid, Hnstray and 9 others like this.
  16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've gotta agree withjust about everyone here. Maybe a Crown Victoria is "snazzy" enough to pull off wire wheels, but a Fairlane Club Sedan is just too much of a "base model" for wires.

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.pfaffreserve.com/1960-oldsmobile-super-88/

:rolleyes:...These might also be spiffy...and lowering the car automatically generally enhances the big picture depending on stance...

Quoted from text at link above...

"finished off with the most gorgeous set of Kelsey Hays 56 spoke wheels and white wall tires"

Credit to Photographer, Owner

crapgame, alanp561, v8flat44 and 8 others like this.
  18. desotot

desotot

slam it and use 56 lincoln hubcaps

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm suspecting that Yellow was a Factory Color...real bold but there was a lot of that in that period...not that you were suggesting Body color change...

Altitude and the right tire wheel/cap combo make it all fall into place nicely...

20. spanners

spanners

Alright, I'll poke the bear. To me, and remember this isn't my ride, white walls and chrome anything rim are no nos. It detracts from highlighting the wheel. You have a chrome rim or chrome wire that ends up blending into the WWs and a skinny strip of black tyre before the car colour, in this case pale yellow (which is a nice colour by the way). Doesn't work for me.

ffr1222k, crapgame, Hnstray and 6 others like this.
  21. grdra1

grdra1

Looks cool as it is - even cooler lower, photo shop and google before any change. Would you have brought it with yellow wire wheels or just trying to put your stamp on things. no judgement here just saying, after all its your ride. Maybe even alternate wheels from time to time. Again awesome car enjoy. Glen

crapgame, mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have valid reasons but there are plenty of period examples were this was done with, too me admirable outcomes...I guess each ride is it's own canvas for judgement...

427 sleeper and hotrodjack33 like this.
  23. Lower it and drive it it until you get used to it as it. Then decide, and you will have a feel as to how it currently drives with the current setup vs and new wheels tire combo. Also for the color. Not many people go in on a car and the main thing is think they want that same car l, but In a different color. See if it grows on you. Its cheaper that way.

427 sleeper and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm still up...:D

This is my best shot...I kept an open mind to color and you all can decide...I actually like it...:)...but the chrome to me knocks it out of the park...I guess thats why Chrome was it and in many ways still is King...

Is it period...maybe...inspired like if a guy in 64 had some barnyard wires in Michigan would one have painted them body color or close to?...

Low-Yellow.jpg

Low-Chrome.jpg

:rolleyes:...these are based on @squirrels submission

Credit to All That Inspired This

fauj, 2Blue2, millersgarage and 11 others like this.
  25. slowmotion

slowmotion

Drop it, leave the Supremes(?), pinners. Done. :cool:

Just Gary likes this.
  26. GeeRam

GeeRam

Agree with this.
    Wire rims of any finish.............just no!:eek:

27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best description so far

28. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I’m with team chrome or leave the wheels that came with it. And I like the color. Also I can’t believe no one said to do what your wife said.

29. Yea, I agree with the no painted wires on anything past the mid-30’s comments but do have to say that I oppose the anti-chrome and whitewall look as seen on my similar car. :D However, chrome OE wheels are a totally different look than torq thrusts. :rolleyes:

67CFF585-3993-451B-AF06-BAB5104C7A70.jpeg

30. Anderson

Anderson

I think chrome T- bird wires would look great.

Alternatively, I really like these hubcaps on those cars…

Attached Files:

crapgame, Stogy, Chili Phil and 2 others like this.