Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rosie The Red 40

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lakeside65, Dec 14, 2021.

1. alchemy

alchemy

If I owned that sedan, I'd put a dropped Ford I beam in the front, reversed the eyes on the original springs, put some 5.50 tires on the front and 7.00 on the rear, tighten up all the loose stuff, and drive it. Maybe the next year I might think about other changes, but not until I've figured out what IT wanted done. The car will need to speak to you, not the other way around. She has lived this long, give her the respect she deserves and let her say what she needs.

She will probably tell you she needs some brake work, or the steering has a loose joint or two. Maybe some wiring needs replaced. Maybe she really wants headers and dual exhaust. I doubt she is going to want electronic ignition or radial tires.

2. alchemy

alchemy

I've seen the breather cap with a steel flex hose you ask about, but don't think I've ever seen them for sale new. Somebody is going to tell you that you need to add a PCV to the engine, but you are probably right about the rings. I'd actually be looking as to how the stinky stuff is getting into the cab. Or just drive faster so it all blows away.

Dan Hay, Stogy and Lakeside65 like this.
  3. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Dropped axle from Sid’s is first on the list as well as a reverse eye in the rear from millworks. Also, against the wishes of some, radials are second on the list. Half the price of bias plys and a quarter of the price of bias ply look a-likes. That change will be coming soon, as well as a swap to mercury 15’s in a color that I think will pop on this car with the blackwalls.
    The previous owner rebuilt the stock brakes as well as replaced the flexible hoses. I would like to add a dual MC at some point but the work well for now.

The goal of this car is something I can load the family in and make the haul to whatever show I feel like going to, make it there reliably and do it all as reasonably priced as possible. I at least need to make the changes to make it comfortable to put around town in for now.

I will keep looking, somebody will come up with something. The smoke making it to the cab doesn’t smell great. As I mentioned above, I’d like for my wife and baby girl to enjoy the car as well so the smokes gotta go, atleast somewhere other than in the cab!

4. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Despite everything else, she has had more miles this weekend than she has had in who knows how long and I’m pretty happy with that as a start.

guthriesmith, Dan Hay and Stogy like this.
  5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RE the front end--I like the factory later front shock mounts 19Fordy showed BUT they can some times hit the inner fender panels causing front sheet metal issues-I make a 3/8" spacer if needed so they clear. Also there are perch pins with a top that looks like mickey mouse ears-Dale at weedetr may know of these. Shock in rear hole and stock sway bar in the front--the factory sway bar has an inset area--for tight fit a Chevy rocker arm ball works well then swivel eyes for sway bar. hookup

6. alchemy

alchemy

Pretty sure the dual eared perches are from a 46-47 Ford.

guthriesmith and Lakeside65 like this.
  7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Lakeside, When I bought my 40 in 1963 it had a rear breather tube that bolted to the intake manifold and was also the oil fill tube. It had a piece of steel flex tubing similar to what is shown below to vent the oil (blow by) fumes under the car. If your engine has a lot of "blow by" then a rebuild is in your future.
    https://www.amazon.com/Walker-40000...ocphy=9052641&hvtargid=pla-571168612261&psc=1
    I also had 1950 Merc (15 x 5 1/2)rims up front and 1950 Lincoln (15x6) rims on the rear. The stock 1950 Merc hubcaps will not clear the rear axle nut as it is too long. 40 Ford hubcaps won't fit Merc or Lincoln wheels.
    If you want to use the smaller 40 Ford hubcaps you should consider using 15 inch x 5 1/2 in. early Ford pick up truck rims like the red wheels below. The second photo (1972) shows 1950 Merc rims on completely stock suspension. Tires had Port-a-Walls. Hopefully you will find someone in your area or a club with a member who owns a 40 Ford.
    One last thought. Before you start dumping money into your engine do a compression check and keep an eye on oil consumption. Above all, don't throw away any parts and take plenty of photos.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    quick85, Lakeside65 and olscrounger like this.
  8. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Thanks for the info. I just need a temporary fix, the flathead will not be living in this car forever but I will keep it for awhile as long as it runs good for the time being. I’m hoping it just has a few stuck rings that I can get freed up over time. The car has sat for quite some time before I got ahold of it so we will see.

I do have some great local resources when it comes to these cars, but I try not to exhaust them with all of my questions. Right @bchrismer ;)

Algoma56, bchrismer and guthriesmith like this.
  9. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I may suggest something. since you plan on changing/ removing spring leaves, you should inspect them for wear pockets from one leaf gouging into another. I always add some type of "slider" between the leaves to allow them to work more easily. This really smooths out the ride.

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Kool? You are going to enjoy your Sedan. Looking forward to watching you make it your own.

Lakeside65 likes this.
  11. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

2FA1E438-9EA4-4250-AC52-1EB2515FFC87.jpeg 103341AA-AD19-41BE-87CC-505496973B14.jpeg 21289DA7-103D-4116-885B-957144990BDA.jpeg 20F886D0-8DC1-48B6-8571-E2EA2C19C3BF.jpeg E3209148-1404-4AE5-BD14-93F35C236347.jpeg Hey guys! Work and my wife were kind enough to give me a couple of days off, so here’s another update. Well, not really an update but I did have to snag some pictures for the insurance company and thought I would share them here.

I did get a NOS lock cylinder and key installed and functioning so I can check that off of the list. I also found out that after putting some miles on her, some wiring has moved or broken and has caused one heck of a parasitic draw, bad enough to be dead after one night of sitting. That issue, combined with the broken and bare wiring all around the car I have made the decision to rewire it ASAP.

FYI, these will be the last photos with this wheel and tire combination! Stay tuned.

roddering, toolz, quick85 and 4 others like this.
  12. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Best decision that you made was to go with radial tires.

raven and Lakeside65 like this.
  13. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might contact Tyree Harris in Virginia. He makes harness with modern wire and original appearance and connectors. I'll see if I can find his number. I put one of his harnesses in my '41 pickup.
    After you get good wiring, you can track down leaks to ground. I recommend a battery disconnect switch until you find all the gremlins.

The 39 guy, Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  14. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

I’ve already got a racers inc wiring board on order as well as their black wiring kit with white labeling. I’m not too worried about it looking like period correct wiring, but I appreciate the heads up!

Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

All black wiring? That sounds like you are asking for a headache, labels or not.

olscrounger, raven and guthriesmith like this.
  16. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

I don’t think it will be a big deal. It provides a nice clean look and the labels are every 5 inches.

Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  17. I'm a bad influence. I wired my '40 stake truck with several rolls of 14ga black wires, none labeled. At least Ben was smart enough to buy stuff that is labeled. LOL

The 39 guy, raven, Lakeside65 and 2 others like this.
  18. I'm sort of surprised you haven't posted some of the pics that you sent to me with the new tars and wheels. I told @gbrown that he may have gotten a little aggressive with the photoshopped pic he sent to you. He sent me a slightly revised pic that is probably a little more accurate, but either way, I'm sure you're gonna dig it.

19. jaracer

jaracer

Freightliner used all white wiring with labels every 4 or 5 inches for many years. It's not quite as easy as tracing color coded wiring, but it's not bad. If you have any color blindness the labels work out better.

connielu, Algoma56 and Lakeside65 like this.
  20. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

46BCF9F4-5A02-44CB-B155-9E330943B191.jpeg

Alright, you twisted my arm. Here is what we believe will be the stance once my collection of suspension parts makes its way under the car. Also got the radials mounted up on some merc style 15’s with chrome nuts and beauty rings. I took @bchrismer ’s suggestion on the Wimbledon white wheels and they turned out awesome. @gbrown ’s photoshop work brings it all together with the stance! I’m really looking forward to making that picture a reality next month.

The 39 guy, toolz, Bigmac48 and 6 others like this.
  21. That's some impressive photoshop work... I thought that was real and that you had been working like a madman and holding out on us... That'll look great. Keep on keepin on.

The 39 guy, Stogy and Lakeside65 like this.
  22. gbrown

gbrown

Actually that was a pretty quick photoshop job. I had a 6 year old breathing down my back on when I would be done so we could go play. I think @Lakeside65 should show the first photoshop I sent him! It was about 2 inches lower all the way around. And as I told @bchrismer via text I would try to do every trick in the book to get it that low.

23. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Please Please always keep the Battery Cable disconnected while not in use .
    Until you get a chance to install new wiring.
    Stretch

Algoma56 and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats and like what your doing...not a radial guy but they are making profiles these days that are more vintage friendly and Fat Fender Hotrods cover up this to some degree...look forward to the reality happening before our news years eyeballs...;)

Algoma56 and Lakeside65 like this.
  25. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

A3F5B7B5-2C10-40F3-A313-5E0C24B46739.jpeg

This one?? I love that stance

Yes sir!

I’m really not either but I’ll take them for the price. These were $75/ea for the fronts and $90/ea. You can’t hardly buy two bias plys for the total I paid for four. I am considering running some portawhite walls on these. I miss the white wall look already.

The 39 guy, guthriesmith and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good points to consider...Love them 38-40 Tudors...That Sweeping Back...priceless...​

Lakeside65 likes this.
  27. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

They are definitely unique cars. I still can’t believe how much room they have for as tiny as they are. It is truly a perfect family hot rod!

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Late 30s were pretty opulent when compared to a Model A...:D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    bchrismer likes this.
  29. In my role as advisor & helper, my effort is to help Ben get the best bang for his buck while getting the sedan on the road. With the goal of having something that he can run to events a few hundred miles from home, and with the goal of having it out more than in the garage, a set of "starter radials" would be the low buck/reliable (can be fixed or repaired anywhere) solution for this stage of the game.

Ben, get that portawall idea out of your noggin. White walls are for Packards. You have a Ford. Besides, the cool kids are starting to run blackwalls again.

30. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

;)

Algoma56 and Stogy like this.